Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:59 AM

17 posts, read 47,349 times

Advertisements

Just another post about whether or not moving is a good idea

I have lurked a bit in the forums, reading other posts to try to get an idea but nothing compares to getting information about you specifically so here goes nothing. Also have seen the more honest you are the better the information.

Girlfriend and I want to move, simply put. We haven't come up with where yet, few ideas in mind (SLC/Vermont/Maine/etc). I've been interested in Maine for over 10 years so here I am trying to narrow down the search. Currently we live in Chicago. I'm originally from here, she from Texas. Picked her up when I was there for a few years and we both moved back here 2 years ago. It's my home and I love it but it's just not the same place it used to be. Also I should mention when I say Chicago I just use that for placement purposes. I've always lived in the burbs just outside of the city, not actual downtown. Plus I have always wanted to live near the mountains. So the specifics:

-Both late 20s, more homebodies than your typical 20 somethings. I've never even set foot in a "club" or have any desire to. Movies, dinner, video games, that's more our thing. That and snowboarding and general outside activities.

-She has no degree, many years in customer service. Might possibly be able to keep her job but work from home, no for sure on that though.

-I will have my associates in graphic arts/web design the end of this year. (finally decided to get back into school thus the late finish. but better late than never I suppose)

-Neither of use are used to living the "high life". Have always made ends meet but would like to finally live somewhat comfortably.

-I have always had interest in the new england states.

-Love having 4 seasons, but winter is our favorite.

So that's about all I can think of at the moment that would influence advice. What I'm looking for is your guys' general thoughts, if it is something to look at then which areas/cities to look at. Things along those roads. If we can narrow the search down then we will definitely be planning a visit so trying to do so. Would rather have 1 place to visit then several (plane tickets aren't exactly cheap). So, thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 PM

19,957 posts, read 30,007,929 times
come up for a visit, do some job searches, see what's out there

think you will like it up here

Old 03-10-2013, 04:22 PM

885 posts, read 1,486,792 times
Really doesn't seem like a good fit..............just my opinion........no offense.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Question is why so? Also where to visit

Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 PM

19,957 posts, read 30,007,929 times
since moving is usually dependent on getting a job, see where the jobs are, then visit the area

maine is coastal, has western mountains, has one small city,,,,but mostly rural, quiet and friendly
maine is the most forested state, many many lakes, rivers and streams

Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
since moving is usually dependent on getting a job, see where the jobs are, then visit the area

maine is coastal, has western mountains, has one small city,,,,but mostly rural, quiet and friendly
maine is the most forested state, many many lakes, rivers and streams
See that sounds great to me. I get the job thing, went through it when I moved back to IL from TX. So Portland area would be the place to look into?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 PM

793 posts, read 1,325,134 times
Hi Seph...

Yes. Look into southern Maine first. It's more expensive than northern Maine, but that's where you're more likely to find jobs. As mentioned, Portland is a small city. But in minutes, you can be in a rural area and find a lot of the things you mentioned.

The Portland newspaper site is Maine news, sports, weather & breaking news | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram. Also check out How Maine Gets to Work | JobsInME.com, Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com and of course, craigslist.

Good luck.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,856,320 times
There are several VERY different regions of Maine. Maybe five. So you ought to start by thinking about that I think....narrow it down.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,516,388 times
Portland is fine for any Maine activity such as the ocean or head west to the mountains but it can be more expensive living than farther north. Check out and do some research in the Bangor area. Snowboarding and skiing are not too far away and realestate is a bit cheaper than Portland and suburbs.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 PM

37,229 posts, read 60,954,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephStrom View Post
... I've always lived in the burbs just outside of the city, not actual downtown.
One person's suburb is another person's city. It is all relative. Consider the population of the towns in Maine. Our 'biggest' city, is smaller than many suburbs.

Look-up the population of your home, and compare, ...

Quote:
... Plus I have always wanted to live near the mountains.
You may wish to look at places that have mountains.

Are you okay with rolling hills? Or do you prefer high-altitude thin-air mountains? The highest location in Maine is Mount Katahdin [located at 5,268 feet above sea level] and nobody lives there. So we are very limited in terms of 'mountains'. Unless low hills are what you want. We have lots of low hills, and lots of flatland. But no actual mountains

Quote:
... Movies, dinner, video games, that's more our thing. That and snowboarding and general outside activities.
Maine has a very limited 'club' scene. Mostly because we do not have the dense-populated urban environment required to maintain that atmosphere.

On the other hand, Maine is very big on sledding, ice-fishing, hiking, hunting, geo-caching, kayaking, boating, sailing, horses, camping, etc. Of course you can sit at home, watch movies, and cook anywhere you live

Quote:
... -She has no degree, many years in customer service. Might possibly be able to keep her job but work from home, no for sure on that though.

-I will have my associates in graphic arts/web design the end of this year. (finally decided to get back into school thus the late finish. but better late than never I suppose)
Tough one. Jobs are scarce here. There is already a lot of people forced into customer service, and a lot of competition for it.

I know a few people who have experience in web design who moved to Maine, and none of them have been able to make that work here. They were able to support themselves with it in other states; but not here.

We have a lot of businesses who simply are not on-line. Our local newspaper, for example, has no website, no email, no on-line presence, none.

Quote:
... -Love having 4 seasons, but winter is our favorite.
Sweet

Come visit. Tour each region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine