Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when it is this year?

And does anyone have a hot tip of a great syrup producer that holds a good event on that day? I've had several disappointing experiences, and one great one. One year, a local one (I am in York County) closed early for no particular reason, and I had driven 2 hrs. to get there. One place was really well set up, but so popular that there were lines down the road for the pancake breakfast. One place boasted maple products and a petting zoo, and it wasn't at all!

So I want to try this year. For the life of me, I can't remember which location had the great event! That was a few years ago.

Failing that, I'll just go to Reny's for my syrup and forget the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
It's usually the last Sunday in March, we went a couple of years ago to Merrifield's in North Gorham and the lines were a mile long to get pancakes and it was cold as we had just come back from Florida. There were shorter lines to see some other exhibits and stuff. Last year was rainy, so we skipped it.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:55 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
It's the 24th. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
It's usually the last Sunday in March, we went a couple of years ago to Merrifield's in North Gorham and the lines were a mile long to get pancakes and it was cold as we had just come back from Florida. There were shorter lines to see some other exhibits and stuff. Last year was rainy, so we skipped it.
Yeah, I think that's where we went too. When we finally got our pancakes, like an hour later, it wasn't even worth it. I got some fantastic maple taffy though. I've never seen that in the stores (except maybe Golden Taffy in York).

Old 03-15-2013, 12:24 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
For the most part, in my experience, the Maine Maple Sunday has been disappointing. One year we drove about an hour to a sugar house north of us to find it was nothing more than a store selling maple products. Year before last we drove south a bit to the Belfast - Belmont area to stand in line for half an hour in the freezing cold wind to get into the sugar house. To be fair it was interesting but so cold to be outside so long waiting. It is always interesting to travel on some roads we had never been on. The best experience in my local area would be Nutkin Farm in Newburg, where you can actually walk among the trees that are tapped. I think this year I will skip it.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:30 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
For the most part, in my experience, the Maine Maple Sunday has been disappointing. One year we drove about an hour to a sugar house north of us to find it was nothing more than a store selling maple products. Year before last we drove south a bit to the Belfast - Belmont area to stand in line for half an hour in the freezing cold wind to get into the sugar house. To be fair it was interesting but so cold to be outside so long waiting. It is always interesting to travel on some roads we had never been on. The best experience in my local area would be Nutkin Farm in Newburg, where you can actually walk among the trees that are tapped. I think this year I will skip it.
These places are not designed for the general public, some marketing whiz at a trade association probably cooked up the idea to help their members make a killing one day a year. I was fascinated as to how much raw material went into so little syrup, which is why it is so expensive.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 PM

WhoFanMe - I suspect you are right. I do however like "Open Farm Days" in June or July. We have see some great places we otherwise wouldn't have known existed.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:11 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
We've always had a blast at the places around here..........several good ones. The kids love it.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:06 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Visit a farm and buy syrup or buy syrup at Reny's or Hannafords or at the Blue Hill Fair Labor Day weekend or order it online. Make your own pancakes. I use maple syrup on oatmeal, sweet potatoes and on pork roast while it's cooking...add homemade apple sauce and cinnamon....If you forgot to freeze Maine blueberries for your pancakes, buy Wyman's frozen.
Maine Maple Producers Association

http://www.getrealmaine.com/index.cf...38A33.railo-03

maple syrup served next to a campfire "weather permitting"....should be plenty warm enough Maple Syrup Sunday at Norumbega Farm | Sun Journal

Old 03-19-2013, 12:13 PM

If you are going to be in the greater Bangor area over Maple Sunday you might consider checking out the Curran Farm Homestead out in Orrington. They make a weekend of it, with samples of many different kinds of food, music, animals etc. They do charge $8 for non members and less for kids - it is a non profit. It is on both Saturday and Sunday the 23 -24th. Also has blacksmith demonstations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine