Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 06:18 PM

50 posts, read 207,004 times

Advertisements

I live north of Dallas about 30mins and the crime rate is terrible. I live in a what is considered a "nicer" city, but you still hear 3-4 sirens a day. Just a few months ago a guy in our apartment complex was walking around with a gun threatening to shoot people, granted once police subdued him we find out he is literally crazy and thought everyone was North Koreans that were going to capture him. So maybe the heat DID make him crazy.

I just dont think you have to worry about a murder, robbery, rape, kidnapping ect. less then 10-15miles from where you work or live every day in Maine like you do here in Texas, at least the DFW area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 06:21 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
People, settings, old homes. There are just times that you swear you saw something out of the corner of one eye,.....maybe something that looked like maybe a large animal moving the underbrush about down in the barrens. Ever attend a small country church and as someone points out "Sister Peggy" and "Brother Paul" it dawns on you that EVERYONE in the place is related? There just are situations that fall a little "off kilter" and it can make you kinda understand where Kings ideas might start growing.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:22 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Oh, and Happy Halloween http://bestsmileys.com/halloween1/1.gif (broken link)

Old 10-26-2007, 07:21 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
People, settings, old homes. There are just times that you swear you saw something out of the corner of one eye,.....maybe something that looked like maybe a large animal moving the underbrush about down in the barrens. Ever attend a small country church and as someone points out "Sister Peggy" and "Brother Paul" it dawns on you that EVERYONE in the place is related? There just are situations that fall a little "off kilter" and it can make you kinda understand where Kings ideas might start growing.
Makes sense

Happy spook day to you too

Old 10-27-2007, 05:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Going out tonight with boarders from other message board.. going to dress up to get in free. Can anyone say "These Boots are made for Walking?"

Old 10-27-2007, 07:54 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I can see that. Living in the south all my life, I can attest to the fact that I feel very bitchy most of the year while the heat lingers like thick sludge. Then, when it starts to cool off, like this week, I get to go outside and enjoy the fresh air and I feel so different. I'm happier, more active and generally in a better mood. So, I wouldn't be surprised if a study were to prove that heat and high crime rates are directly related.
OK the scene is set. With our summers getting warmer if E invites you over for a barbeque enter her yard with caution!!

Old 10-27-2007, 08:17 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
OK the scene is set. With our summers getting warmer if E invites you over for a barbeque enter her yard with caution!!
7th Gen.....

I don't think Maine's "warmer" summers will ever reach the 98-100 degrees we suffer down here! I think the world would sooner explode first!!!

So, when I invite you to the BBQ, you should be fine! Though, after that comment, I may have to charge YOU admission......

Old 10-27-2007, 10:22 AM

378 posts, read 1,030,561 times
Although I COMPLETELY agree that Maine is far better BY FAR than any other place in the ENTIRE WORLD (does that make me a mainiac?) I dispute any stats I find online for crime because: The FBI and other jurisdictions (read all your local ones) have recently changed the way they catalogue and report crime.
As well, they have also changed the actual reporting. Meaning some crimes will never be reported and recorded properly (as you or I would do it) and then some crimes are now slotted differently.
For instance, if you read your local paper and it's all about murders which stacks up with the obits ... you look at your local crime stats and see the murder rate is VERY LOW.
Hmmmm, you might say.
They stopped counting some crimes as violent crimes (I think the victims would beg to differ) and they stopped calling some murders and instead named them 'accidents'.
You see?
To the point where you can almost tell when they're machin-ating the news to reflect how they want the crime to be slotted. Which is very bad as the news is supposed to be the 'eye' to honestly report any events of interest to the public.
We just studied this quite thoroughly in statistics and a humanities class and how it relates to this whole bigger picture of a city or state calling itself: safer.
Sure enough if they are looking bad they'll import a new police chief and/or sheriff who understands how to 'report crime' and this crime will be looking better the next go-round.
Locally one of the police sergeants who was running for mayor called for an independent audit of the crime stats, specifically the murder and violent crime stats and he was shouted down. When the citizens picked up the call one of the mayor's buddies in the lege swooped it over to the FDLE (fla. dept. of law enforcement) who rubber stamped it some months later.

People overlook all of this stuff until they see how it effects their community who quiickly realize that if the police and stats are dishonest they can report a rape all day and get no response/case #.

Which has happened to several women locally. Which I never knew until I met a woman who is very involved in womens' rights. What an eye-opener.

Anyway, if they don't look right -- they probably aren't. Proving that is more difficult. And they know that no citizen has the time for that. Which is what they stated locally: Come on down and go through the records yourself. (to the police sgt) Right. LOL

Old 10-27-2007, 10:24 AM

378 posts, read 1,030,561 times
Oh and the heat DEFINITELY makes people crazy.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:37 AM

188 posts, read 989,063 times
West Virginia and Wyoming are two of the poorest states yet they rank amoung the safest. These two states are among the lowest impacted by legal and illegal immigration. Maine is a similar story with low incomes, yet ranking among the safest. This may support the idea that not only money impacts crime but also "culture" impacts crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine