Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:40 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,364,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
maybe alaska has a disproportionate of folks who moved from texas to work the oil fields....bringing their Texas culture with them.

(I am being totally facious and am sure the folks in Texas are just like the rest of us....some good and some bad. )
Well, I would be the good one! And I think it's the heat - we're all a little brain fried down here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 03:32 PM

47,855 posts, read 21,881,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
here is nowhere in Portland, Maine that I wouldn't walk, day or night. Now the simple fact that I am 6'2" 225# martial artist, who loves my CCW license and have it so I can actually carry a pistol if I want to might have something to do with the bit of confidence. That and the fact I used to go to school in Detroit, MI, and Dallas, Texas also gives me an edge.

All of that aside there is no place I can think of that is all that bad in Portland. Nowhere like most larger cities and other smaller cities Portland sized anyway.
Stand By Me....please.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,916 times
the estimated population for Maine in 2006 is a bit over 1,321,500 (that's one million, three hundred twenty one thousand, five hundred PEOPLE)

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/23000.html

and we had *21* homicides ALL YEAR....which is down from the previous year.

How many of those murders are "stranger" based, meaning random? not any

ok....my math is rusty, but am I right in saying that's about .02% of Maine's population? hmmm

do you know what perspective is?

Old 01-01-2008, 06:04 PM

The estimated pop for Houston - just the city - in 2006 is 2.1 million. So, logic would suppose that we have nearly twice as many murders as the state of Maine - that would be approximately 42 murders. Right?

We had 377.......just in that one city......now do the math!

Just doesn't seem quite right, huh? That should add some perspective for ya!!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:07 PM

just in Houston? geez....if I lived there I'd have to lock my doors and windows and take my keys out of the Jeeps and the van.....and I'd have to lock the garage....

and I'd be afraid

Old 01-01-2008, 06:10 PM

Exactly! And you'd also have to keep one eye on the kids and one on the dog at all times. I've said before that my kids don't even go out to the driveway to get into the car without one of us being with them. I wasn't exaggerating!

And the rape rate is more than double the murder rate at 854 for that year.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:11 PM

Incidently, something that has not been mentioned on this thread but that any officer in Maine will tell you--and anyone associated with law enforcement knows--is that the biggest reason crime is not running rampant in Maine and we have such a high rate of convictions is because our communities will not tolerate it to be otherwise. We have a very high rate of reporting statewide. The idea of "I don't want to get involved" does not exist here.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:12 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times
If I lived there I would have to run down to the nearest Home Depot or Lowes and buy new locks for my doors because I don't have the keys for my hose now. I would lock the Suburban for sure, probably leave the Safari unlocked and pray it is gone when I come out of the store every time. Most crooks are smart enough not to steal that big of POS though so I would be stuck with it there as well as I am here.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:09 PM

40 posts, read 97,495 times
Washington County Maine was on a news documentary (60minutes)a few years back for being the highest in violent crime per capita in the U.S.

I live here and don't see much of it...one home invasion in Calais...most must be domestic cases and bar/alcohol/drug related activity. There is a drug problem and most of the babies born the year of the news program were addicted to opiates. Perhaps the stats have changed now. There are very few people living here so that would increase the stats a bit...having a few incidences and harldy any population.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:03 AM

7,056 posts, read 9,015,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post

Another thing I will say is the cities and towns are already moaning and groaning about the cost of salt and snow removal and this is after 2 years where they used hardly any of the snow removal budget. If these idiots in charge of the budgets in these towns and cities can't figure out when you have mild winters you bank the money for years when we have lots of snow they don't belong doing budgets for towns and cities. But this is another reason why are taxes are so high because of the way the politicians are if you don't use all the money in your budget this year you lose it next year so this creates waste.
I brought up this very same discussion in the town meeting in the town in MA where I own property. You would think that something like this would be just plain common sense, but apparently it isn't.

And just try and get somebody to care. 7500 households and barely 125 people show up to the town meeting to vote on how the town will be run. Pathetic.

People need to stop being apathetic about how things are run, at every level of government, get involved and start making the [alleged] "leaders" do what is right and smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine