U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 AM

497 posts, read 1,031,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I brought up this very same discussion in the town meeting in the town in MA where I own property. You would think that something like this would be just plain common sense, but apparently it isn't.

And just try and get somebody to care. 7500 households and barely 125 people show up to the town meeting to vote on how the town will be run. Pathetic.

People need to stop being apathetic about how things are run, at every level of government, get involved and start making the [alleged] "leaders" do what is right and smart.
That is so true...and to get back to the cold weather causing less crimes...I am taking a criminalistics class this semester and I was reading the book I just bought for the class. There is some truth to what I said...the warmer the weather the more crime there is. Thus it would make sense that areas like the south that have warm weather year round will have more crime.

There are a couple of theories on this though. The first set of stats show a U shaped curve with crime spiking in July and August nationwide. However, the monkey wrench in this theory is murders also are high during December and January. The reason for the high crime during the warm weather could be according to the book that more people are out and about making themselves easy targets for criminals. Also, because more people are out and about their homes are unoccupied making targets for theft and B&Es.

There is also statistics to show when the temps get too hot (usually above 85) crimes like rape go down because it's too hot for the criminals. Also my guess would be just as it would be too cold for people to be out and about in the cold weather in the hot weather it's too hot for people to be out and about so they aren't making themselves targets for criminals and the homes remain occupied making them less attractive for home invasions.

It should be an interesting class though. I can't wait for it to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 PM

306 posts, read 700,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
wow....I didn't even notice that about Alaska, and I'm surprised! I've never been, but I wouldn't have guessed that crime would be an issue for them....bummer.
My guess is because of the bush Alaska areas. Its in those areas the isolation can seem to get to people driving them to drink or do drugs leading them to commit more violent crimes. I also believe that is also a factor for their high suicide rate. 30 days with no sun can get mighty depressing I am sure. So with the isolation the high drug use, rape and suicide rates are not really that suprising (unfortunately).

Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 PM

7,388 posts, read 14,148,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
the cold weather causing less crimes...
The cold doesn't stop Detroit.

When I lived in Minneapolis, crime was almost non-existent over the winter months (in Minnesota, that is two months longer then anywhere else). Then, as soon as the first night of decent weather (upper 40's-low 50's) fell upon the city, the city went nuts and even if the warm up only lasted one night, the crime rate went way up.

I always blamed it on cabin fever, if anything.

But, the most crime occurs during the extremely hot and humid summer days, which tend to drive everyone a little nutty.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:40 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,337,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post

There are a couple of theories on this though. The first set of stats show a U shaped curve with crime spiking in July and August nationwide. However, the monkey wrench in this theory is murders also are high during December and January. The reason for the high crime during the warm weather could be according to the book that more people are out and about making themselves easy targets for criminals. Also, because more people are out and about their homes are unoccupied making targets for theft and B&Es.
In addition to people being out and about, with cash and or expensive gifts, the holiday season can be tough on some people who are less psychologically stable. Depression coupled with alcohol use and [sometimes] influenced by financial and/or marital problems can result in a significant increase in violence, especially among family members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine