Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 05:04 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,144,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I once tried a vegetarian diet too,

i was very edgy, confrontational, had cramps, gas,, I thought i had male pms

I gave it a good shot-thinking my body had to detoxify...but I also got sickly, the "feel-better" attitude went south quickly, my craving for meat-i directed to ice cream, gained 15lbs

nothing like a thick rib eye on the grill,

I agree with what you said about the beef animals to a point...i toured many packing plants...huge slaughterhouses,,,,even was on the kill floors,,,their were inspectors everywhere, and compared to the way my dairy farmer grandfather use to kill cows,,,they were very humane,,, they stunn them-knocks em out

went to a hog plant...18,000 hogs a day was processed....thats alot of pork.
from unloading the hogs from the trucks, to being shipped, i got to see the full line, again, usda independent inspectors everywhere, the critters were humanely treated

do smaller slaughterhouses adhere to strict humane standards? I havent been to many
but the ones in maine i've been to- herring bros. in guilford, curtis meats in warren, bissons in topsham
and a few others,,i never once witnessed abuse-it was always quick,,
and its to the butchers' advantage- if an animal is stressed, when its bled,,then the meat has a different color tone (called cherry beef, or technically, "dark cutters")
and this beef is sold for significantly less-black sheen to it-hard to sell at retail...
its in the best interest of the farmer, the processors, everyone involved to treat the animal humanely..
now i know there are exceptions or videos on youtube,,depicting abuse,,and thats wrong/sad....

there are processing places in maine-that have been asked to process goats for muslims/one reason they wont do it-is because a Halal (Muslim butcher) HAS to perform the killing in a ritualistic way-and from what I heard- the owners of the processing places, do not want that animal suffering in their places
Thankfully, most smaller farms (like the ones in Maine) are family-owned and take care of their animals. I'm referring more to the mass-produced farms and things like this. This is the way mass-production farming is done. These ones are lucky - at least they have a few feet of fenced in air.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's Try Something Different: Maine. What's Good About It?-veal-farm.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,206,533 times
It's not Louisiana.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:59 PM

399 posts, read 852,402 times
Been here 5 months now. Every time I write people from where I came I always say Clean air, friendly people, and plenty of space. I never get tired of driving by mountains and lakes every day. I am hooked on Maine.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
It's not Louisiana.
And that would be a plus!

Old 04-14-2013, 05:04 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,480,862 times
We summered in Maine for 4 years in our cottage. We retired 2 going on 3 years ago. We wintered two of those years. We spent a few months in our old home state, Florida, this past winter and spring.

I could not wait to get back to Maine. I may gripe about taxes, doesn't everyone. I may gripe about not being always able to get what I want instantly.

But when I was driving around the other day, and saw all the water, islands and beautiful hills and small villages, I realized that I am where I am supposed to be. Considering life styles in many other parts of this country, I enjoy the best lifestyle right here.

That's what is positive about Maine. I even taken the good natured ribbing the locals give me, and funny, I started doing the same thing to the newcomers myself. Bring anyone you want to Maine, and if they don't say it's beauty strikes awe, I will show you a person who is dead on the inside.

Someone mentioned about only one bridge open for Memorial Day.....well, maybe that's not such a bad idea, except it would keep the tourist money away.

Oregon had a neat motto, unofficial of course, "Come and spend your money, then go home."

Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,229,408 times
First time poster although I've been reading the threads for maybe 6 months.

I'm a resident of Pennsylvania and have been visiting Maine since the late 1980's. Starting in 1995 my then girlfriend (now wife) and I have been going to Acadia (and other places in Maine) on a regular basis. In 2006 we got married on a little boat in Frenchmans Bay. I have travelled to all corners of this country many times over and have been to every state except Hawaii. I recently made my wife promise me that if I die before her she will spread my ashes on MDI.
Maybe a tad morbib for my first post but that's what Maine means to me. Even though I don't live there it feels like home.

Cheers.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:44 AM

28 posts, read 63,077 times
@Sayid Linus: I know what you mean. There are places in the world that just "speak" to something in you. I had that feeling about where I live now, in Sun Valley, ID (an amazing beautiful place), and also the mid-coast area of Maine.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
First time poster although I've been reading the threads for maybe 6 months.

I'm a resident of Pennsylvania and have been visiting Maine since the late 1980's. Starting in 1995 my then girlfriend (now wife) and I have been going to Acadia (and other places in Maine) on a regular basis. In 2006 we got married on a little boat in Frenchmans Bay. I have travelled to all corners of this country many times over and have been to every state except Hawaii. I recently made my wife promise me that if I die before her she will spread my ashes on MDI.
Maybe a tad morbib for my first post but that's what Maine means to me. Even though I don't live there it feels like home.

Cheers.
Welcome.

MDI is beautiful and a perfect final resting place IMO.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:07 PM

625 posts, read 787,874 times
The only bad thing about Maine is there are to many liberals. Maine is a great place. We in the small towns all know each other we help eachother. We are safe we have woods and the great outdoors. Life is great in Maine..

Old 04-18-2013, 03:34 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,152,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
The only bad thing about Maine is there are to many liberals. Maine is a great place. We in the small towns all know each other we help eachother. We are safe we have woods and the great outdoors. Life is great in Maine..
hahaha oh really?

How about that shining example of humanity living in the Blaine House right now?

LePage Spins Windmill Conspiracy Theory – Mike Tipping - BDN Maine Blogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: