Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post

These are the things elderly people think of after they can no longer visit their basements.

That's it Gramma, you're going to the basement until you can learn to be less cranky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 11:56 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
LOL Zymer!! It really makes more sense in some situations. We aren't kids and mobility is becoming an issue, particularly with narrow cellah stairs in old houses.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:48 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Most properties in Maine will accommodate a walk-out basement. You can walk down a nice sloping walk and never need to use stairs.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:26 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
A ranch with a walk-out basement would be ideal for " seniors"!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:59 AM

86 posts, read 484,095 times
I built a spec house last year and the walk out basement was a HUGE plus.
Even if stairs aren't your friend, it is a great place to have your furnace, oil tank, water tank etc etc. Just as stated earlier, you never know what life is going to deal to us. Even if don't ever plan on visiting our basement, it will assist in selling.
That being said, I know of many houses that do not have basements and sold quickly. It is not a "must have", just a "nice to have".
If you don't really want a basement or your land doesn't work for a basement I wouldn't worry that much about it. Just plan for the above mentioned things to be upstairs (or in your garage)
A nicely built/designed house is MUCH more important. Good windows/doors/hardware/KITCHEN setup (huge) etc is what really sells houses. (in my opinion) hahaha Which is equal to..... not much. hahaha

Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
I live in a "split level", so the basement is finished. We have a two car garage, with a finished room over that. I miss having a basement....I'm forever trying to find places for "basement" stash.....paint cans with the little bit of touch up paint there in the bottom, an old chair that needs recaning....the oil tank is behind the closet doors in the downstairs, the boiler is behind another set of doors....now I admit, this house was not well thought out and planned to take advantage of the space, and I've said that before, so that is part of the problem....but I need a place to hide some of that stuff!! The house in Eastport has a basement, the foundation is going to need some work eventually, but right now it's cool to go down there. I knew and loved the people who lived there when I was little, and it's very sweet to go into the basement and see her old canning jars sitting there in the old jelly cupboards

Last edited by mollysmiles; 10-30-2007 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: typos :)

Old 10-30-2007, 08:01 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
We are hoping to build a ranch with a walk out basement, eventually. We both have bad needs so the gradual sloping entrance would be perfect for us. That's down the road though.

A well insulated & heated garage can accomodate a lot of the same things as a basement, but for some reason, doesn't have the same appeal for me. I like my garage to be immaculate and not a "clutter catcher". But thats just me.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:04 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I knew and loved the people who lived there when I was little, and it's very sweet to go into the basement and see her old canning jars sitting there in the old jelly cupboards
Awwwww, nice memories. How wonderful you own the home of people you knew in your childhood!

Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
And how cool that the jelly cupboards are still there! You're very lucky Molly.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:35 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
They were wonderful....I just loved them. My mother used to be best friends with one of their daughters growing up, and I was close friends with their grandchildren, who would come home holidays. When I was 3 my mother came out into the yard to discover that Charlie, then probably in his 60s, was outside helping me look for "Nancy". Mom said when she explained to Charlie that "Nancy" was my imaginary friend he laughed so hard he got tears in his eyes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine