Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times

Advertisements

What a horrible event! I am still a bit shell shocked but am starting to get angry at the thought of someone doing this to us.......
My ex and one of my grand daughters were in Boston that day. Not at the marathon thankfully,but it still scared the Hell out of me!
Anyone else have friends or family there?
Hope they catch the SOB(s) very soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
very sad...my heart goes out to the victims and their families...it's sad that there are those in our society who would do such a thing....and on Patriots' Day no less...we know these people exist who are mentally ill and/or terribly misguided...I guess it was only a matter of time before they targeted a place closer to home.

Have you heard anyone--president, news people, or anyone in Congress talking about legislation for the potential ban of or background checks to control the purchases of pressure cookers, book bags, and nails, etc.?

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 04-17-2013 at 05:40 AM..

Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 AM

161 posts, read 418,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post

Have you heard anyone--president, news people, or anyone in Congress talking about legislation for the potential ban of or background checks to control the purchases of pressure cookers, book bags, and nails, etc.?
No because those things have other uses.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Anyone else have friends or family there?
Hope they catch the SOB(s) very soon.
My daughter. She's a runner and was going to go to the finish line but decided not to at the last minute. I thought she was there until I heard from her. I'm going to visit this weekend and feel a little funny about enjoying a couple of days in Boston.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:50 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
My daughter. She's a runner and was going to go to the finish line but decided not to at the last minute. I thought she was there until I heard from her. I'm going to visit this weekend and feel a little funny about enjoying a couple of days in Boston.
Last minute decisions like that are kismet. I'm so thankful she decided not to finish and is okay. You must have been terrified.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
I posted on the Boston thread. My niece has been running the marathon the last couple of years for Dana Farber. She decided not to run this year but she and her young son were spectators near the finish line. Luckily not near enough to be in danger, but she was part of the evacuation....did have difficulty getting home to Cambridge when transit shut down. I first learned of the bombing through her mobile FB posts. Very scary for awhile. I'm glad she and her little guy are safe, but I feel pain for all the dead, wounded and displaced.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
My parents are gone now, but I still have a couple siblings and several neices, nephews, and friend in the Boston area. The whole event is still very traumatic.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:16 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
5 bombs but only 2 went off. Someone was watching over the event to ensure that human suffering was minimized.

An event where thousands gather [tens of thousands maybe?] Yet only 3 died. Again someone was watching over the event to ensure that human suffering was minimized.

There are very evil people in the world. We have gotten another wake-up call to remind us of the evil that exists. Scores of people are killed weekly in other regions of the world, this is normal daily life for much of the planet. This event should remind us all of the human condition that we share with the rest of this planet.

My prays are with the injured parties, and the families of those who have died. I am thankful of the miracles that so few were hurt.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
if they catch the killers.... they should tie them to the bombs that didnt detonate,, and set the bomb off-

i cant fathom anyone wanting to kill innocents,,,,with shrapnel bombs..to purposely plan killing---they should get what they targeted others

Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM

793 posts, read 1,343,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
5 bombs but only 2 went off. Someone was watching over the event to ensure that human suffering was minimized.

An event where thousands gather [tens of thousands maybe?] Yet only 3 died. Again someone was watching over the event to ensure that human suffering was minimized.

There are very evil people in the world. We have gotten another wake-up call to remind us of the evil that exists. Scores of people are killed weekly in other regions of the world, this is normal daily life for much of the planet. This event should remind us all of the human condition that we share with the rest of this planet.
My prays are with the injured parties, and the families of those who have died. I am thankful of the miracles that so few were hurt.
Agree with everything Submariner has written.

Concerning the section I bolded...I had been out grocery shopping, came home, turned on the TV and when I saw the footage, I just sighed. It feels like things have changed so much in such a short amount of time.

I guess I'm not even shocked anymore. This in itself, saddens me.

Last edited by Radio Flyer; 04-18-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine