Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:51 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times

Advertisements

A few farm pics after last night's flurries. It will be gone by noon. It's above freezing and the sun is out now.

Firewood

The last of the pumpkins

Thanksgiving Dinner. Two of the three toms will be on the table next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 06:58 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,624 times
Beautiful.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:05 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
Do you see my pout lip dragging the floor? Very nice pics, though.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:16 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times
Cool pics, MW. Where are you, northern Maine or the western mountains?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
ours was gone by 8:30......

it was pretty while it lasted....there was none on the roads, just a little on the Jeep and a tiny bit on the grass

but it's a start!! The pics are beautiful MW!!

Last edited by mollysmiles; 10-30-2007 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: forgot to say nice pics! :)

Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 AM

I'm in the northeast between Houlton and Calais. It's 60 miles from Houlton and 30 miles from Calais, and a couple of miles as the crow flies from Canada.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:56 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times
Ah, then you must be familiar with the thriving metropolises of Vanceboro and Danforth, not to mention the Haynesville Woods! The view of Mount Katahdin from Route 1 just north of Danforth is one of the best in the state IMO. You're really back of beyond.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,083 times
Amazing photos, Mainewriter!

Now I can finally get into the Thanksgiving mood

Old 10-30-2007, 08:04 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
Okay, somebody run over there and warn those turkeys! They need to find disguises soon!!

Don't you just love snow on pumpkins? That is just about as "New England" as it gets.

Thank you for sharing the pics. Gonna go get depressed now

Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Ah, then you must be familiar with the thriving metropolises of Vanceboro and Danforth, not to mention the Haynesville Woods! The view of Mount Katahdin from Route 1 just north of Danforth is one of the best in the state IMO. You're really back of beyond.
Very much so. My daughter played soccer, softball and basketball in the schools there when she was in junior high. We made a lot of trips back and forth across Rts 1 and 6. I live in Talmadge, population 66. No businesses expect mine, no public buildings unless you count my diningroom table where my first selectman husband does business, no stop sign. We do have lots of wildlife though!

Do you know the story of the Haynesville Woods? And have you seen the view of the ledge in as you turn the sharp corner on 6 in Topsfield? It's absolutely gorgeous. I wanted to stop to take pics this fall but there isn't a safe place to pull over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Okay, somebody run over there and warn those turkeys! They need to find disguises soon!!

Don't you just love snow on pumpkins? That is just about as "New England" as it gets.
From left to right they are Tom (how original!), Junior (Tom's son) and Stoop, short for Stupid. I think Stoop might be the victim of accidental inbreeding. "That Stupid turkey!" would wander off up the road, get lost and have to be found and carried home. Seriously. Stoop was never quite bright enough to figure out he should turn around and walk forward to get home. Or he'd get lost in the woods and not be there when I did a snood count before closing the door. He'd make himself coyote bait by being lost 10' into the not-at-all dense woods so we'd hunt for him by flashlight (apparently we are not to bright sometimes either because we let it happen more than once). Hence, he must be removed from the gene pool before he drowns. Junior's going to the great roasting pan in the sky because he's related to all of the hens. We don't need another Stoop! Tom is here forever. He's my second true love. When he's lonely he'll come to the back door and gobble. If I ignore him he'll walk around the house and gobble at the windows until I stick my head out to talk to him. He's now six years old. A couple of weeks ago Steve asked which two were going, and pointed at Tom. He knew that would get me going. "GOING??? That's TOM! Go WHERE, Steve? Where is it you think Tom might go? To the pasture? To the porch? Surely NOT to the butcher?" End of conversation! He thought he was funny!

I do love snow on pumpkins. Every year I go out and take pictures of snow on pumpkins. They never look much different but I do it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine