Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:33 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Who cares who it was, they all lie.

Maine is also cheaper to live in, which, I know, many Mainers do not agree with that but for those of who moved here from other places, oh yes, it is most definitely cheaper. That could be another reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 04:39 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
i seem to meet many new transplants from away in my travels, I do ask them why they moved to maine, and here are the most common responses

couples with kids- they want a safe place to raise a family

i thought i'd never leave the area i grew up in- but its a total different place-poverty and racial tensions, i was sick of it

too damn hot in the south, cant take the summers any longer

everyone told me maine is too cold, and barely has electricity- but I love the fresh air and people actually have manners up here

the older i get, the more allergies i have- maine has fresh air

im not making the money i was, but im also not paying 1300 month for a two bedroom dump

Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Obama math.........
The Department Of Labor's 'Bureau Of Labor' says that the current percentage of workers actually employed is a bit over 63%

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Which leaves 37% for self-employed, unemployed, etc.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:14 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,340 times
I think its a stretch to say Maine is a CHEAP place to live. Having lived primarily out west many things are cheaper there including food, utilities and you generally have a better/wider selection of stores and sales. Of, course some things are cheaper here. Including real estate, auto insurance and real estate taxes. But then you have to factor in the low wages, high cost to heat homes for 6 months, fairly high sales taxes, and the cost of commuting. Most of us don't live in cities, so have to travel to get to work or buy groceries. I'm not complaining, just observing......its a whole lot different here than when I grew up here........not necessarily better or worse.....just different.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:20 AM

109 posts, read 198,726 times
ABBOT: The ones who quit looking go on welfare and/or disability, and get an EBT card for gambling and booze!

Welcome to Maine!

Old 05-05-2013, 05:14 AM

madjack.......no, welcome to the USA!!!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
I think its a stretch to say Maine is a CHEAP place to live. Having lived primarily out west many things are cheaper there including food, utilities and you generally have a better/wider selection of stores and sales. Of, course some things are cheaper here. Including real estate, auto insurance and real estate taxes. But then you have to factor in the low wages, high cost to heat homes for 6 months, fairly high sales taxes, and the cost of commuting. Most of us don't live in cities, so have to travel to get to work or buy groceries. I'm not complaining, just observing......its a whole lot different here than when I grew up here........not necessarily better or worse.....just different.
I didn't say it was "cheap", I said it was "cheaper". In overall expenses, it absolutely IS cheaper. As for wages, I have actually found a job that pays more than any other place I've ever worked, regardless of state. So, I'm making out like a bandit right now.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:13 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
I think its a stretch to say Maine is a CHEAP place to live. ...
Maine is a place where a person may choose to live a low cost lifestyle, and still enjoy life. Granted not everyone does this.

I have lived other places where it was not available, outside of living as a hobo.

As you mention there are places with lower priced food.

I think that any time you compare urban to rural, you will see more stores urban than rural. Most of Maine is rural, so most of Maine has less stores.

Wages: high wages drive up home prices. Places with thriving economies, have more jobs, higher wages, and higher priced homes. Theses things run together.

Pick any area where nobody earns more than $40k/year, how many $400k homes will you see there? You don't see any.

High home prices are in high wage areas. At the same time, low wage areas have lower home prices. It is not rocket science.

Watch what happens when the minimum-wage goes up.

If you choose to heat your home in the most expensive method, for 6 months; that is your choice.

If you choose to commute a long distance; that is your choice.

You can not blame the area on your lifestyle choices. Your lifestyle choices are yours.

Living in Maine enables us to live a less expensive lifestyle if you choose to. In Maine we can choose to buy lower priced homes, in towns with lower taxes. We can choose to heat with wood, which is much less expensive.

I know people right now [non-Mainers] whose property taxes are more than my pension. Before any other expense [food, heat, electric, commuting, etc], just to sit in their home, in the dark with no lights, no food, no heat. Costs them more than my pension.

I also know Mainers, who own homes, their lights are on, food is on the table, and they are raising families. All on incomes close to my pension.

Btw, do you want to pick some fiddleheads?

God bless you.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 AM

701 posts, read 1,082,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i seem to meet many new transplants from away in my travels, I do ask them why they moved to maine, and here are the most common responses

couples with kids- they want a safe place to raise a family

i thought i'd never leave the area i grew up in- but its a total different place-poverty and racial tensions, i was sick of it

too damn hot in the south, cant take the summers any longer

everyone told me maine is too cold, and barely has electricity- but I love the fresh air and people actually have manners up here

the older i get, the more allergies i have- maine has fresh air

im not making the money i was, but im also not paying 1300 month for a two bedroom dump
Most of our reasons for moving to Maine are on this list.................

Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Submariner.......love to pick some fiddles, but fear you are too far away......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine