Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,787 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife, dog, and I will be vacationing in Maine this summer. We already have a week booked at a house in the Quoddy Head area, but we'd also like to spend a few days canoeing on one of Maine's amazing lakes. So, which one would be the best for out-of-state folks (don't know the area well) with a small car (in other words, we can't go off-roading to some remote area). We would need to rent a canoe somewhere, and we'd plan on camping at a primitive site along the shore. I've looked at Millinocket, Moosehead, and Lobster. Is there one that would be better/best? Also, if you have any recommendations for canoe rentals, I'd really appreciate it.

There's so much to do in Maine and so little time! I don't know much about the state, so I'm having a hard time narrowing it down. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 AM

35 posts, read 80,324 times
Greenville / Moosehead Lake area is awesome!!!!! places to eat-camp-canoe and relax!!!
lots of shops to pick up goodies at And places to rent canoes...see moose and other wildlife on your trip--enjoy~~~~~~

Old 05-22-2013, 02:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
What state are you coming from? I agree that with above poster and love Moosehead Lake. We never rented canoe there but there must be places you can do that. Check out Greenville tourism on Google or see if it has a chamber of commerce site. We always camped at Lily Bay State Park and found it to be great. Large and private campsites and only about 8 miles from the center of Greenville.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:12 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Moosehead Lake is great as long as the weather cooperates. My brother and a friend spent almost a week stuck at Lily Bay State Park trapped by high winds and bad weather a few years back.

But you don't have to drive all the way to Greenville. Just down Route 1 from Quoddy Head, you have Gardner, Hadley, and Rocky Lakes. There's Lake Cathance and Meddybemps, or go a bit farther north and explore East and West Grand Lakes. Get a temporary fishing license and a rod and reel and catch your own supper!

Old 05-22-2013, 03:54 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Frost Pond Camps is a great place to camp. The pond is small, it's nice to paddle and the fishing is good.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,787 times
Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

We're coming from Virginia. And yes, I've read tha Moosehead can be dangerous, especially in a canoe. I'll keep these in mind and appreciate any more comments.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:28 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
I think that Mt. Katahdin is the most spectacular (and iconic) place in Maine.
That's just outside Millinocket.
It's stunning, as is that whole area.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:28 PM

161 posts, read 418,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutpenson View Post
Hello,

My wife, dog, and I will be vacationing in Maine this summer. We already have a week booked at a house in the Quoddy Head area, but we'd also like to spend a few days canoeing on one of Maine's amazing lakes. So, which one would be the best for out-of-state folks (don't know the area well) with a small car (in other words, we can't go off-roading to some remote area). We would need to rent a canoe somewhere, and we'd plan on camping at a primitive site along the shore. I've looked at Millinocket, Moosehead, and Lobster. Is there one that would be better/best? Also, if you have any recommendations for canoe rentals, I'd really appreciate it.

There's so much to do in Maine and so little time! I don't know much about the state, so I'm having a hard time narrowing it down. Thanks in advance.
You may wish to rent a kayak and paddle around Passamaquoddy Bay and the surrounding Quoddy area. We enjoy really smooth water most of the time. Very easy kayaking.

Alan

Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
If you rent a kayak on or near Passamaquoddy bay be very careful. They have huge tides that rush in and out way faster than you can paddle. I was a guide for many years. For your purpose I recommend the Down East Lakes. All of these lakes are interconnected and you can explore to your hearts content. There are campsites. Bring a map. Here's the list of lakes:

Scraggly
Duck
Keg
Bottle
Junior
Horseshoe
Norway
Pocumcus
West Grand

They have hundreds of miles of shoreline. Access is from Route 6 to Lakeville or Route 6 to the Maine Wilderness Canoe Basin. The alternative launch sites are Pocumcus Lake and West Grand at Grand Lake Stream. All these lakes have easy refuge if a wind comes up. West Grand is really big, but there are many coves and islands where you can get out of the wind.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:04 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Stay off the big lakes unless you have practiced self rescue. A dog makes self rescue more difficult especially when the dog tries to climb on your head as you tread water. Dog ever gone canoeing?

Be aware of water temp as just wearing a pfd will help your hypothermic body be found more easily.

Plenty of nice quiet water river trips and smaller ponds you don't need to go off road to reach.

Read...'quiet water canoe guide, Maine' for suggested waters. Plenty of beautiful areas all over Maine.

Wear your pfd, might get one for fido as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine