Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 07:08 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times

Advertisements

I would like anyone, you don't have to say if you voted for him or not, anyone at all to say what positive contribution Gov. Le Page has made to this state. Anything at all that's been improved.

:: crickets ::

Go ahead. Anything.

:: getting a soda ::

Oh! I know! He put up a sign? That said "Open For Business"? On the interstate right under the sign that says Welcome To Maine, etc.
And the positive result of this is.....Maine still is ranked in the bottom fifth of "business friendly" states.

Because we should assume that the CEO of the largest chain of junk, salvage, and remaindered crap from 'Going Out of Business' businesses knows exactly how to sell sh** to Mainers and have them think they're getting a sweet deal.

Come on, Maine, he's a buffoon and he's made this state the laughing stock of the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 08:09 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,120 times
I am so sorry that I joked about LePage earlier on this thread. I had no business making a joke about him as I haven't even lived there since he became Governor. I dind't get to vote and I'm neither for or against him. I was too naive to think this thread wouldn't turn into a 'bashing the governor' thread with haters.

As far as being a laughing stock of the nation, most people out here in the west have never even been to New England, yet alone Maine. They think the east is Chicago. I've lived out here since 1980 and had a business the last 26 years and when I still tell people I'm from Maine, they usually say, "Wow! It's a beautiful state. Isn't it cold there?"

Old 06-22-2013, 08:23 PM

793 posts, read 1,341,699 times
007 is right. At least in CA, most people are so self-centered, they don't even have a clue where Maine is, never mind who the governor is.

When I told people I was from Maine, more than once I got, "Is that close to New York?"

Seriously, I can understand getting confused on exactly where Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas are. They're all kind of in the middle somewhere. But Maine?! How can you not know that it's the one up top there, you know, way up top, on the right.

And people wonder why I say the CA education system leaves a lot to be desired. Sheesh.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:24 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
As I understand it. Maine voters in their efforts to drive up our taxes have approved more bonds-at-interest. Anything that can possibly be borrowed to pay for our services, plus interest, Maine voters will vote for. Mainers fight hard for higher taxes.

In our last election, each of the other candidates' platforms were based on more debt. If possible higher interest rates on that, just so that our taxes could rise even more. Bankers must have their profits after all.

This governor wants to lower our debt. He sits on bonds that have already been approved, and refuses to allow that money to be borrowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
I would like anyone, you don't have to say if you voted for him or not, anyone at all to say what positive contribution Gov. Le Page has made to this state. Anything at all that's been improved.
In a sea of legislators crying to raise our debt and therefore our taxes; he seems to be trying to hold fast to that one ideal. Refusing to increase our debt.

Quote:
... Come on, Maine, he's a buffoon and he's made this state the laughing stock of the nation.
He is a buffoon. He is ignorant. He is a child. I agree.

Is Maine bankrupt? No.

Is Maine a laughing stock? No.

Our nation still has unemployment at over 23%. [not the adjusted smoke and mirrors rate, rather the real rate that the politicians refuse to say out loud] Our unemployment is equal to during the Great Depression.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:02 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
He may be all the above but other states have far worse Governorships (more like sinking Gov-"ships" & restrictions) w/ way higher unemployment. I think trying to keep taxes reasonable is a good idea, as who wants to pay more for those that don't deserve the money in the 1st place. Hey, anyone can complain about any Governor but he is boldly trying to create a better financial landscape & for this I think it is an admirable trait.

Just look around at other Repub Gov's giving lip-service, & really placating the left constituency to keep towing the line of politics & political correctness. Of course those leeching off the system (not all but clearly more each day, undeserving, yet attempting to add to the welfare rolls) will certainly capsize this ship as there is only so much money to go around folks, & if it is liberally tossed about & frivolously thrown out to bogus claims, then how can anyone not justify someone trying to reign in this over spending & wasteful abuse of gov't funds.

Love him or dislike him he is in a tough position, & doing as well as anyone else since Reagan was in office. Honestly, since the mid-80s have things really gotten better w/ liberal, exorbitant spending? No, I'm afraid it has not unless I missed something last time I checked, & I could be wrong but think I'm not.

Ok, just IMHO & my .02 for what it is worth (not much, haha, I'm sure many of you may say)

Old 06-23-2013, 04:28 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,340 times
I agree with Rm007. I lived in Ca. for 23 years and have heard those same statements many times. As far as Ca. people being self centered I have to disagree. Surprisingly most people I met were conservative and loved their state and country. I don't know why it doesn't translate at the voting booth. I guess its because most liberal loons live in the very large cities like SF and LA.
As far as the governor being a nationwide laughing stock....naaahhh.
Without googling it, can you name the Ca. governors name? (hint, last nights event is part of his moniker)

Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
i've been reluctant to weigh in,,,because politics, is a minefield, and the older i get i just try not to get so infuriated about politicians and there actions...
I'm considered a right wing nutcase,,,but so what, the way i see it,,is that most politicians are lawyers, or you cant believe a word they say-they live in a bubble,
on a national level, we are almost 20 trillion in debt, and no one seems to care,,we raise debt ceilings,,while the politicians have there golden parachutes- they are insulated to the policies they strike down for the rest of us- in the executive branch, and congress most are millionaires, getting greased by there own policies, its shameful..
congress should not get paid, or have health benefits if they cant do there job- if they dont balance the budget,,they dont get paid, and none of them should be able to be paid 200,000 for a speech (after office) when they are thru -public service-right?

we will one day have to pay the piper,,,politicians have given away the farm to pander for votes,,,we have no farm left,,we have a currency printer
and when other nations change the "world currency" away from the dollar....we will crash hard
yes "we" will, the politicians wont,,they have there own safety nets,,

on a state level,,, most governors have "passed the buck" of paying bills, like the hospitals, etc,,,,we "bond" enormous amounts of money because the state government is so poor at managing there own cash flow and assets.

lepage,,love him or hate him,,,is not the typical slick and glib politician,,,,i like him,,he seems like a real person,,trying to do whats best,,, there is so much waste in our own state its-despicable,,
section 8 subsidized housing,,,for apartments on the 250k range?? someone left "unchecked" was getting greased and kick-backs
lepage cant change the status quo thats been in place for decades,,,though he's tried,,and has got demonized

yes, maine is a high welfare state, we need to fix that- is there something in place, that any able-bodied person gets matched up with jobs avaliable???????
Maine hasnt been "business" friendly for decades- many many companies have closed or moved out of state
The state of maine is the largest employer in the state----think about that,- again,,this is shameful

maine needs better paying jobs,,,we all seem to say the young folks leave maine-why?? for better paying employment elsewhere,,, maine needs more "BUSINESSES" coming to the state, more manufacturing,,,

You drive thru 60% of maine and small towns,,you see old buildings that were once businesses, you see many "for sale" properties of people moving away,,,and whatever school systems that are still in place,,,they are stressed bigtime,,because of declining enrollment..
why do you need a superintendent that makes over 80k in small school districts,,when they are letting teachers go????

most of my adult life, - everyday, i work with small businesses, maine is not business friendly..more red tape, regulations, permits, fee's every year- and consider the healthcare debacle...what a mess and it looks like it will get worse,
maine makes it too easy with many welfare programs,,,,that small businesses offering 9.00 hr starting wage (not living wage, we all had to start somewhere) are dismissed because its easier and you can get more benefits from not working.

ok, my rant is over- i apologize, im sure i offended most,,

lepage to me ,,,is a breathe of fresh air,,compared to the cocktail politicians,,that you cant believe one word they are saying..

Old 06-23-2013, 06:49 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,340 times
Mainebroker........I agree. Too many politicians(both sides) are wealthy, lawyers and way out of touch. I would love to see a mandatory percentage required in the legislature for blue collar, small business owners or just workers to be included in elections. Common sense folks. Not sure how to accomplish it but it's something to think about.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:50 AM

278 posts, read 655,907 times
mainebrokerman, I actually agree with a lot of what you say. You didn't use any vulgarities trying persuade people to see your side. However, LePage stated this:

Quote:
"Sen. Jackson claims to be for the people, but he's the first one to give it to the people of Maine without providing Vaseline."
He then went on to disparage the blue collar constituents that are the very people that will most likely to support someone with his language skills...

Quote:
"People like Troy Jackson, they ought to go back in the woods and cut trees and let someone with a brain come down here and do some work,"
This has nothing to do with "PC", many cannot support a foul-mouthed, school-yard-bully as an executive leader. A leader must be able to inspire those with differing views to their point of view, with reasoning and positive results. Anything "good" LePage might be able to accomplish is greatly diminished (destroyed) by his boorish behavior.

People defend LePage by saying "he is the way he is, because of the other side". No, he is the way he is because of his own values, schema, and mindset. When things don't go his way he throws a temper-tantrum, and his true-self is revealed.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
I can't rep you enough, riddei. Personal responsibility matters. Nobody makes LePage behave this way, he makes that choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddei63 View Post
This has nothing to do with "PC", many cannot support a foul-mouthed, school-yard-bully as an executive leader. A leader must be able to inspire those with differing views to their point of view, with reasoning and positive results. Anything "good" LePage might be able to accomplish is greatly diminished (destroyed) by his boorish behavior.

People defend LePage by saying "he is the way he is, because of the other side". No, he is the way he is because of his own values, schema, and mindset. When things don't go his way he throws a temper-tantrum, and his true-self is revealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine