Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 05:54 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,263 times

Advertisements

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...tem=3&snum=126

I saw news of this being proposed back in March or so, and never heard another word about it, so I looked it up. Apparently, it became law without the governor's signature. It does not automatically raise the limit, but allows the speed limit to be posted up to 75 on the whole Interstate system (except the Turnpike), wherever it is deemed appropriate to do so.

All in all, I good change, I suppose. Wasn't it 70 or 75 on the Interstates back before the gas crunch anyway?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
"Deemed appropriate" by DOT ?

Old 07-09-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
"Deemed appropriate" by DOT ?
That's what I'm assuming. The law says they may post it up to 75 miles an hour, but it doesn't require them to if conditions warrant a lower limit.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:42 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,585 times
From what I can remember, the top speed limit on the Turnpike and I-95 in Maine before the energy crisis of autumn 1973 was 65. I recall driving from Omaha to Maine in the summer of 1973, and speed limits were 75 on I-80 all the way across to New York, where it dropped to 55 on I-90! I was driving 85-95 mph most of the time (along with the rest of the traffic), so hitting that double nickel in NYState felt like walking through molasses. The New York State Police knew it, too. They were set up just a few miles beyond the border waiting for drivers who were still in fast-lane mode.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,760 times
Ya. "Deemed appropriate by the DOT?" There's a brain trust if there ever was one. I just saw them replace a driveway culvert at what I estimated to be a $20,000 to $30,000 cost, 12 guys one day, 8 the other 1.5 days, excavator, van with two guys watching with the ac cranked, several pickup trucks, dually with trailer, dump truck and the delivery vehicle and trailer for the excavator. I could have done it for $1500 and made good money.

Speed limit was 70 mph on I-95 until the gas crunch in the '70's, when Nixon, I think, dropped it to 55 nationwide.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 AM

414 posts, read 302,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
From what I can remember, the top speed limit on the Turnpike and I-95 in Maine before the energy crisis of autumn 1973 was 65. I recall driving from Omaha to Maine in the summer of 1973, and speed limits were 75 on I-80 all the way across to New York, where it dropped to 55 on I-90! I was driving 85-95 mph most of the time (along with the rest of the traffic), so hitting that double nickel in NYState felt like walking through molasses. The New York State Police knew it, too. They were set up just a few miles beyond the border waiting for drivers who were still in fast-lane mode.
The NY State police are my mortal enemy, who have confiscated vast sums of money from me. For the most part, they are also insufferably rude. If you get a speeding ticket as a resident now, not only do you get hit with a big fine, and increased insurance, the state charges you $150 a year for the next three years!!

I had quite the opposite experience with a Maine state trooper. I had just passed through Bangor on 95 around 1AM or so, on the way to meet a buddy at BSP. In my old 17 year old Camry with NY plates, I got pulled over doing 81. The trooper asked me where I was going, and if I had ever gotten a ticket in Maine. Told him BSP, and no. Takes my info, goes back to his car for a bit, and comes back with an actual written warning, asked if I could please slow down a little bit, and told me to enjoy my stay. Made such a great impression on me. Classy cop.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:41 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
maineac is right,,,it was 70..
before the gas crunch

with all the road construction,,,,im sure they ill keep it down..

id like to see 75....all the way up thru on the interstate, and 295

Old 07-09-2013, 04:45 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,760 times
Everyone's doing 74 anyway, precisely 9mph over the limit. I don't think jacking that to 84 is going to make much difference in accidents, but a guy in a Saab just smoked a moose up in Alton the other day. Moose totaled, Saab totaled, driver O.K. Remember that those big black bastards don't have the green eye deer have. More like silver dollar suspended in the dark until you hit them.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Everyone's doing 74 anyway, precisely 9mph over the limit. I don't think jacking that to 84 is going to make much difference in accidents, but a guy in a Saab just smoked a moose up in Alton the other day. Moose totaled, Saab totaled, driver O.K. Remember that those big black bastards don't have the green eye deer have. More like silver dollar suspended in the dark until you hit them.
Good advice on the moose! They are definitely harder to see at night than deer.

But I don't think jacking up the speed limit will significantly affect how fast people drive. I've driven up to Houlton on that stretch of I-95 that already has a 75 mile per hour limit, and I would say that a good 90% of drivers appeared to be at or under the limit. In fact, while maintaining a steady 73 miles per hour (on cruise control), I found myself to be among the faster moving vehicles, often having to move left to overtake people I was gaining on.

Human nature isn't that much different south of the Volvo Line, ;-) so I don't think the results would be much different there.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:01 PM

893 posts, read 1,206,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...tem=3&snum=126

I saw news of this being proposed back in March or so, and never heard another word about it, so I looked it up. Apparently, it became law without the governor's signature. It does not automatically raise the limit, but allows the speed limit to be posted up to 75 on the whole Interstate system (except the Turnpike), wherever it is deemed appropriate to do so.

All in all, I good change, I suppose. Wasn't it 70 or 75 on the Interstates back before the gas crunch anyway?

The speed limit was already 75 on I-95 for some parts between Bangor and Houlton since at least 2011 (the first time I'd ever been up there).

*Edit: bah, didn't read the whole thread. Guy above me already pointed it out. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine