U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:27 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,970,374 times

Advertisements

And the rest from the Rangley area:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 02:08 PM

84 posts, read 78,051 times
Thanks for showing the photos. The Rangeley Inn looks magnificent. But the profusion of telegraph-poles may show that they're used for distributing electrical power too. Therefore, let's hope the town isn't prone to hurricanes or tornadoes. And if we settle for Rangeley, would we ever be stranded there, say, from Farmington, by the weather, even in a powerful awd? For that matter, is the postman ever thwarted?

Last edited by BoCosmo; 07-20-2013 at 02:17 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 02:36 PM

534 posts, read 713,108 times
I wonder if the navy seals still play sere on readington mt?

Old 07-20-2013, 06:08 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,970,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoCosmo View Post
Thanks for showing the photos. The Rangeley Inn looks magnificent. But the profusion of telegraph-poles may show that they're used for distributing electrical power too. Therefore, let's hope the town isn't prone to hurricanes or tornadoes. And if we settle for Rangeley, would we ever be stranded there, say, from Farmington, by the weather, even in a powerful awd? For that matter, is the postman ever thwarted?
All winters are a little different. These pictures were taken on December 4th, 2009. Maine towns like Rangley have some of the best snow removal equipment anywhere. You'll be amazed at how quickly they keep up the main roads when there's lot's of snow. And everyone in town that has a pickup will have a plow attachment.

An awd car would be the way to go like the Subaru Forester that is so popular. A front wheel drive car is fine too with 4 snow tires which can be studded if you're so inclined.

Hurricanes are possible but we usually get the tail end of them. Tornadoes are far and few between. Maybe a whirlpool of air when you're raking leaves but that's about it. Although there was a tornado in Maine just recently. I just so happen to have picture of that too.

Oh wait, that was the earthquake in Maine.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:13 PM

18,367 posts, read 23,541,961 times
Quote:
i doubt it,,only on very very rare occasions

i travel for a living all over maine and new hampshire- i have front wheel drive and get around well,,just go slower when its slippery and have decent tires

Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 PM

We fancy getting an awd Dodge Charger, but never thought about the tyres. In Germany; I've gotten used to having Summer and Winter wheels, each with appropriate tyres. But studded ones are seldom available here. They can be had in Scandinavia or Russia. Therefore, I'd be interested in how the motorists of Maine tend to cope with mounds of snow, etc. Or should we go by the dealer's advice?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:26 PM

5,677 posts, read 6,778,300 times
4WD is handy but I've never gone so far as to put studded tires on. Maybe some day when I have a few hundred extra dollars that I don't know what to do with...

A Charger sits a bit low to the ground, so it isn't really going to cope well with 'mounds' of snow. My wife has a Jeep Cherokee Sport that will get through a foot or more of fresh snow, And I have a 4WD pickup. They both sit a little higher up than a car and they do pretty well, they'll get through more snow than a Charger. Plowing around my area isn't the greatest, and sometimes my driveway (1,000 feet to the road) doesn't get plowed at all.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:02 PM

If the Charger's ground-clearance is too low, I suppose we'll have to see whether it can be fitted with, say twenty-inch wheels, and for the odometer, speedometer, etc to be adjusted to compensate for any increased tread-circumference. Otherwise, I daresay we'll think about getting the more powerful of the Ford Escape models. I hope that they are not too low

Old 07-20-2013, 09:25 PM

476 posts, read 625,059 times
Quote:
Hello. I'm an expatriate English widower; and recently married a Californian (girl, I'm proud to say).
Just checking to see if your wife has ever visited Maine? We live in Southern California, and it is absolutely nothing at all like Maine. Southern California is a massive metropolis. (Probably the size of some smaller euro countries in population). It doesn't resemble any areas of Maine at all. I'm just concerned that your wife may be used to a larger city environment, and may not be prepared for the much more rural state of Maine?

Old 07-21-2013, 02:20 AM

My wife spent most of her life in Taft, which is, I understand, a rural town and remote community. And though she wouldn't want us to move to California, she does seem keen on northern Washington state, whereas I'd prefer Maine, or even Wyoming. We have a dog, but no dependants

Last edited by BoCosmo; 07-21-2013 at 02:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or