Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:19 PM

476 posts, read 747,946 times

Advertisements

Greetings Everyone!

Mr & Mrs 221B are now actively working toward finding a home to purchase in the Midcoast area. Our plan is to put our house in CA up for sale within the next 2 months or so, and we could use some help in strengthening our home search smarts, specifically as it relates to Maine. Some of you know we've made four trips already, and we think it is now time to make the jump.

You see, all we know, real-estate-wise, is the urban sprawl, megalopolis, concrete world known as Southern California. We know what the red flags are regarding homes and locations around here. What we need to become much better at is knowing what to watch out for in regards to more rural homes and locations in Maine.

Would you care to throw out any tips you can pass on to us in regards to what we should be careful of in our search? Anything would be most helpful.
Especially you folks who have already made the jump from "larger metro-areas" to your homes in Maine. I have a feeling you may be able to clue us in on things you learned to look for, both good and bad. For example, other than what we have learned here on CD, we have no practical, hands-on experience with basements, wells, septic systems(!), and oil furnaces. That type of thing. We'll definitely get a good inspector in on any home we are very interested in, but prior to that, it would be great to weed-out the more risky properties in advance. (We are really trying to not make a mistake with our first home purchase in ME!)

Any random hints or tips to help us as we go through homes and walk properties would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
It's more than the house. It's the town. Some towns have very few regulations and welcome new property owners. You are free to build, change or develop your property to meet your needs.

Then there are the hostile towns with as many as 38 different zones of strict regulations as to what you can do with the property you own. Talk with somebody who knows these things. Go with the town that has more freedom. The taxes will be lower too. All those regulations come at a cost.

Oh, and one more thing: Wet basements are a long term problem that can rot your home and cause mold problems.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Oh, and one more thing: Wet basements are a long term problem that can rot your home and cause mold problems.
To this point, I've made it a point to never buy a house with a sump pump... no exceptions. When you get your home inspected, make sure the person thoroughly inspects the cellar for any sign of past water. Also have him do an air and water test for radon. Water problems aren't common, but air is very common in Maine. If there is a radon removal system installed, or you have one installed, make sure NONE of the ducting is near bedrooms. These systems are very loud.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Here are a few things you don't have to consider in California

arsenic is common in Maine and any well should be tested for the presence of arsenic.

Private roads and home owners responsibility for maintaining the road.

Right of ways.....access for yourself and others to your property any restrictions

Clear title

Proximity to firing ranges (noise)

Old 08-06-2013, 05:09 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Firing ranges are not the whole story. My neighbor shoots skeet off his back deck. As long as he is 300 feet from your house that is legal in much of Maine. As I said above, some towns have 38 or so different zones.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:25 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Good answers above. If an older house check for 2 prong outlets in rooms where you'll be plugging in 3 prong appliances (almost everything except lamps). Have your building inspector open the electric box to look for signs of water, double taps and other creative things that are fire hazards. Electric issues are expensive and can lead to deadly fires. Have inspector walk the roof (if safe to do so) and check chimney flashing and pointing. Strongly consider signing on with a buyer agent that can steer you in the right direction on all of these issues and get pre-approved with a local lender.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 PM

36 posts, read 86,432 times
I'd plan to rent first. That way you can ease in and get a better idea about where you want to live, what your needs are, etc. Buying from afar you might pick the wrong neighborhood, or even the wrong town.

Housing really does have a whole different set of issues here: wet cellars, what kind of heat, how well insulated the house is, etc.

Lots of people have wet basements. This can be a real headache. Knoock on wood the only flooding I had was in my rental. That totally affected my hunt for something to buy; if there was ANY sign of moisture, I moved on. Immediately. PRoud to have a dry basement now.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
It's more than the house. It's the town. Some towns have very few regulations and welcome new property owners. You are free to build, change or develop your property to meet your needs.

Then there are the hostile towns with as many as 38 different zones of strict regulations as to what you can do with the property you own. Talk with somebody who knows these things. Go with the town that has more freedom. The taxes will be lower too. All those regulations come at a cost.

Thanks NMLM! We will certainly take your advice, and dig into the types of zoning, etc that we will be looking at.
It's amazing how often the "wet basement" issue keeps coming up. I'm glad you pointed it out!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
To this point, I've made it a point to never buy a house with a sump pump... no exceptions. When you get your home inspected, make sure the person thoroughly inspects the cellar for any sign of past water. Also have him do an air and water test for radon. Water problems aren't common, but air is very common in Maine. If there is a radon removal system installed, or you have one installed, make sure NONE of the ducting is near bedrooms. These systems are very loud.
OK, great. We've added radon to our list! Thanks! I'm sure we would have missed that item if you hadn't brought it up.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Here are a few things you don't have to consider in California

arsenic is common in Maine and any well should be tested for the presence of arsenic.

Private roads and home owners responsibility for maintaining the road.

Right of ways.....access for yourself and others to your property any restrictions

Clear title

Proximity to firing ranges (noise)
Hey Elston! Thanks!
When you mention clear title, is this something that we need to specifically dig into, or is our realtor supposed to check on? (or maybe an attorney?) Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine