U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-06-2013, 07:35 PM

26 posts, read 58,963 times

Advertisements

I would just like some incite from Mainers about what they think about their state. Both the pros and cons. I would just like to get some more information; nothing in particular just general views.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 10:24 AM

129 posts, read 78,554 times
Pros: scenery, winter activities, ocean (except for ocean activities that involve actually being in the water as it is too cold), if you like remote places and being left alone

Cons: cold, lack of infrastructure,

Many of those pros can be cons depending on personal tastes

Old 08-07-2013, 02:54 PM

636 posts, read 434,866 times
Most of the pros, in my opinion, are related to the general culture and attitude of the people here (and I'm a bit biased as a native). We are very live and let live here, especially in the rural parts of the state. If you break down on the side of the road, people will actually stop and offer to help. You don't see that in many places.

Up in Aroostook County, they still have farm stands where they use the honor system (get your veggies, put your money in the box, even make change out of the box, all on your own). They can still do that in places up here, because the honest still far outnumber the dishonest.

The scenery and wildlife is another pro, although it can be a con as well, especially if you end up hitting a deer or moose and end up totaling your car! Skunks also abound, and their smells are anything but pleasant!

There is plenty of room up here. Even our cities with the most traffic (Bangor, Portland, Augusta) rarely have the long delays like you would see in other areas.

We are not infested with venomous snakes or spiders.

Major storms, like hurricanes, are most usually carried away from us by the gulf stream. The ones that do make it here are usually but a fraction of their former selves by the time they get here!

You can actually drive your car with the windows open and enjoy the fresh air! Summer weather is nice, and air conditioning is actually optional here!

There are places here where you can drive for a hundred miles or better on non-interstate roads without ever seeing a traffic light!

The cons:

Many homes use oil for heat, and it has to be delivered by truck. It is expensive, no matter how you look at it. Some older homes might use 800 or 1000 gallons per heating season. If you heat with wood, you might save some money, at the cost of a significant chunk of your life just chopping and splitting wood!

All of the natural beauty in a fresh snow quickly turns into a pain in the butt when you realize you have to spend an hour shoveling out your driveway, another ten minutes scraping the ice off your vehicle's windows, and an extra 20 to 30 minutes in commuting times because you "can't drive 55!" (Lucky on some of the roads if you can do 25 after a snow!)

While we may not have a lot of venomous creepy-crawly things, but if you live in a rural area, you will soon find mosquitoes and black flies to be the bane of your existence. Those blood-thirsty vampires do not let up! No matter how many of their friends you kill, they keep coming back! The black flies will fly into your ears, into your eyes, and into your mouth if they have chance! They are on a mission, and that mission is to be a pain in the ass!

We have no real public transportation system, to speak of. So you better grow accustomed to owning and maintaining a car. Vehicle maintenance is incredibly important here, because, while people may stop and help you out, you don't want to break down when it's 10 below zero outside!

Most of our highways are two lane highways. We don't have a lot of traffic, per se, but you have to take into consideration that you might get stuck behind slowpokes, with no way to pass them for a few miles! We have a lot of old folks driving here, so expect to meet these types a lot. Just learn to be patient with them, and continue to maintain a safe following distance. It's part of life here. Some of them are also slow on the uptake. They'll pull out in what would normally be a safe gap, but accelerate so slowly that you still have to hit your brakes! Again, it's something that you just have to get used to. Anticipate that, even if they have what should be plenty of space to get up to speed, they won't! And since you will have to drive to get anywhere, you'll be dealing with plenty of slowpokes, old and young.

All in all, I feel that most of our cons are minor, and far outweighed by the pros of the lifestyle you can live here. There isn't a lot of money to be made here, but there are things we have that are worth more than all the money in the world!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:43 PM

272 posts, read 183,820 times
Only downside for me is the short veggy growing season and the 30-35 minute drive to a real grocery store

Old 08-07-2013, 04:56 PM

2,303 posts, read 3,907,530 times
Pros: all

Cons: none

It is was it is and you make it work wherever you live.

I know this isn't very helpful in your quest but we are a hardy bunch that survive on what is given us and don't much complain about any situation that may arise.
FAQ

Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 PM

21,869 posts, read 28,669,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanloup View Post
I would just like some incite from Mainers about what they think about their state. Both the pros and cons. I would just like to get some more information; nothing in particular just general views.
I am fairly new to Maine. I lived a many other places before deciding to settle in Maine.

Pros:
most of Maine is rural with lots of elbow room,
very little traffic
the culture / attitude of people here is very laid back and community focused,
some wicked nice scenery,
lots of wildlife,
winter and summer activities,
lack of infrastructure which goes hand-in-hand with low tax revenue [which I like],
no venomous snakes or spiders.
summer is nice and not too hot, ...

There is a strong and growing sub-culture in Maine of sustainable / organical / agriculture and lifestyle choices, that I have not seen anywhere else. It is just barely starting in other states, but it has been here since the 70's. Ask any Mainer about the Common Ground Fair, they may not like it, but they all know of it.

I am on a small pension. I have lived in places where with my small pension a person would be border-line homeless. Instead of a one-room flop in a ghetto over-looking gang turf; in Maine I can afford a massive house, on 100+ acres of land.

Cons:
I will have to think about that one. Hold on, . . . .

ugh, I had one but when I thought about it, it was really a Pro.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:59 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,957,261 times
My opinions are of the Maine Highlands.

Pros...

seasonal weather
clean air
smell of pine
night sky, ufo watching
low population
scenery
big animals
elbow room
variety of fresh foods land and sea
outdoor activities and sporting opportunities
the Maine accent
helpful neighbors
atv/sled trails and clubs
listen and it's quiet, or "hark" as my grandmother said

Cons...

driving on ice
seasonal chores
dark at 15:45-cars gps will go into night mode
expensive food costs
labor intensive or expensive heating costs
cluster flies, black flies, ufo flies
car deterioration
nothing close
cabin fever
can't trust the weather

Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 PM

11,141 posts, read 11,203,140 times
Live and let live attitudes

mostly rural,,

low crime

great scenery

little traffic

plenty of wildlife..

quiet

great native foods...blueberries, corn, apples , lobsters, potatoes

Old 08-07-2013, 08:43 PM

840 posts, read 445,758 times
Most people have posted pros, so I will mostly agree with those and also mention a huge con - the cost of living is significantly higher in Maine than most other states.

I came here from Michigan where milk is $2.49/ gallon, corn is $0.20 an ear, cucumbers are 3/$1, etc. and have found food to be much more expensive here ($3.85/gallon for milk, $0.50 for corn, 2/$1.19 cucumbers, etc)

Gas is also more expensive... about 30 to 40 cents more per gallon.

Also income taxes are higher here.

I haven't changed my drivers license yet, but owning a car is also more of a hassle. You have to have 2 license plates for some reason and I heard you also have to get your car "inspected" every year.

*oh yeah, someone else said this above. It gets dark so early here. Back home in the summer it is light until like 10:00 or 10:30 even (near the solstice) but in Maine it gets dark way earlier. This state needs to start using Atlantic Standard Time!

These are all big cons IMO.

But, again, there are lots of pros too.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:32 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,252,164 times
Up here in northern Maine it stays light until 9:00-9:30 in the summer.
It's a beautiful state, in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine