U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:14 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,971,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
d When we move to Maine we will probably take a "trip" to a southern clime, in late winter, when we are feeling sun deprived. .
I truly believe the ideal situation would be to be a "snowbird"!
Live June - November in Maine, and December - late May in Az or Southern California. Ahhh, what a perfect situation!

Now I just need to go out and buy a lottery ticket!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 11:17 PM

34,052 posts, read 11,058,189 times
We have a dear friend who sorta does that snowbird thing. She and her husband live in Wisconsin but one winter they came to California and rented an aptmt in the complex I was living. We became good friends. The next year her husband didnt want to come to California for as long but she did, so they drove out together, around Thanksgiving, he flew back and she stayed until May when he flew out again and they drove back to Wisconsin together. This is the fourth year and she is doing it again. My partner and I pretty much expect that we will go south for 3 or 4 weeks in the winter. (I have a son who lives in SC on the coast but its not quite southerly enough to be really dependably warm until April. We will probably stop in there for a visit and then on to warmer climes, or of course if win the lottery..on to "our place" in the Florida Keys. (A guy can dream.)

Old 11-17-2007, 03:23 AM
Status: "You cant have any pudding if you dont eat you meat" (set 9 days ago)

10,774 posts, read 10,620,317 times
the last real vacation i had, was five yrs ago, i took my son to disney in florida,,we stayed for a whole week, and had a blast!! went in late jan,,,and no lines til the weekend!
there are many many places, id love to go,,,alaska, hawaii, australia, and id love to go to the theme parks , to ride the wild rollercoasters!!

where i do travel most of the state for my work, im fortunate to be able,,to see a lot of scenery, of the state, and meet many "locals"
if i had a to choose a couple favorite spots in maine,,the first would be pemaquid point in pemaquid, you can drive right to the light-house, and walk on the rocks,,,awesome area!

one reason i probly avoid vacationing,,,in other places/states,,,,is,,that i dont mind paying for the airline ticket,,, or a motel,,,however,,,when you are in a touristy area, area, and every vendor there is trying to ********* ,,,,,for some reason,, i resent this terribly!! 4 dollars for a water,,,i went in to one (wasnt even that classy) of a restaurant, in a tourist destination, and it was 22.99 for spaghetti and meatballs,,,,,
i know im the consumer, and its my choice to go or not to go,,,but chit like that burns me up,,,it did at disney,,and its not because i couldnt afford it,,,its because i felt i was getting price-raped,,,
a cheeseburger cost 14.00, for a friggin cheeseburger, one single domestic beer was 9 dollars,,wtf??
and i know,,,,the operating/lease expenses are high,,,labor is high,,etc,,,but i cant help but think,,i work too damn hard to throw my money away like this,,if i was going to throw it away, i may as well be playing poker, or slots, with a chance to win something,
that reminds me,,foxwoods is an awesome place,,
see what they charge for drinks??? (nothing)

Old 11-18-2007, 05:10 AM

4,104 posts, read 4,136,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEnME View Post
The Smokey Mountains are beautiful, I was born and raised 40 miles west of Knoxville. My favorite place to vacation is Eastport, Maine. Because..... I have visited California (San Diego up the coast to San Francisco and Oakland area; Bennington, Vermont and fell in love with New England; all of Florida where I have lived from 1971 to present and it doesn't impress me; four trips to Nova Scotia, down every dirt road in all the provinces, and I love Cape Breton Island because of my Scots-Irish roots; last year I toured Scotland with my sister for 15 days; this year my husband wanted to tour Ireland for 15 days for his Irish roots; we spent seven days in Eastport, Maine the first week of August and I finally recovered from pneumonia that I developed in Ireland in May. I am tired of traveling to other countries, worrying about terrorism, delayed flights, etc. not to mention the possibility of contracting SARS, Bird Flu and any other virus floating in the air. I just want to move into our cottage...the sooner the better...but probably not until spring...maybe a Christmas visit... then in the summer, until we retire, have my morning coffee on the porch, with my partial water view of Campobello Island and commune with God and nature. I still love Tennessee and will visit but I have the best of both...mountains and ocean in Eastport. I know I am rambling...sorry.
That's ok. Rambling about Eastport is wonderful in my book. Only been on vaction 2x since 1997 both times to Eastport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: