Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:03 PM

612 posts, read 1,215,907 times

Advertisements

The Smokey Mountains are beautiful, I was born and raised 40 miles west of Knoxville. My favorite place to vacation is Eastport, Maine. Because..... I have visited California (San Diego up the coast to San Francisco and Oakland area; Bennington, Vermont and fell in love with New England; all of Florida where I have lived from 1971 to present and it doesn't impress me; four trips to Nova Scotia, down every dirt road in all the provinces, and I love Cape Breton Island because of my Scots-Irish roots; last year I toured Scotland with my sister for 15 days; this year my husband wanted to tour Ireland for 15 days for his Irish roots; we spent seven days in Eastport, Maine the first week of August and I finally recovered from pneumonia that I developed in Ireland in May. I am tired of traveling to other countries, worrying about terrorism, delayed flights, etc. not to mention the possibility of contracting SARS, Bird Flu and any other virus floating in the air. I just want to move into our cottage...the sooner the better...but probably not until spring...maybe a Christmas visit... then in the summer, until we retire, have my morning coffee on the porch, with my partial water view of Campobello Island and commune with God and nature. I still love Tennessee and will visit but I have the best of both...mountains and ocean in Eastport. I know I am rambling...sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
I'm not technically a "vacationlander" just yet but......my all time dream vacation destination is Italy.

Now, DH, knowing my love for Maine from the beginning, made us LOSE the "Newlywed Game" at a Valentine banquet our first year of marriage by saying that my dream vacation would be to Maine. Silly man! He's never been confused by the distinction between "dream life" and "dream vacation" since!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:27 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Anywhere and everywhere. Key West was nice. We like to jump on the bikes and just ride, preferably away from urban areas. Sometimes we don't even have a destination in mind, we just start off in a direction and see where we end up.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:34 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
I like the mid-Keys (Cudjoe), and would like to go back and visit the NW coast again (I went to Cannon Beach, Mount Hood, Multnomah Falls, and surrounds quite a few years ago). And oddly enough, I fell in love with the desert when I went there (Death Valley, Las Vegas, all over Arizona). Mostly though, give me any harbor town with working boats, a diner or 2 and junk shops and I would be happy.

I would like to visit Charleston, SC, and Savannah, GA as well as Salisbury, England and Australia.

And maybe Canada. Because I have never once been in Canada.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:49 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
I'd like to do a tour of all the Civil War Battlefields - I've been to a few but I'd really like to track all of them.

I'd also like to travel the original Route 66
Follow the trail of the Lewis and Clark Expedition
Do an inland passage Alaskian cruise

Can you tell I like history?

Old 11-13-2007, 10:12 AM

152 posts, read 457,369 times
I love going to see the mountains out west or anyplace that has mountains above the tree line. My last trip was to the Rocky mountains NP in Colorado and the trip before that was to Denali NP in Alaska. Alaska is a great place to go its like Maine to the extrema.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:42 PM

139 posts, read 362,610 times
Last year went to Santa Barbera California, it was fun but waaaaayyyyy outta my league. I did not see one Chevy, Ford, Pontiac, GMC or normal home while I was there. The median income was like $500 k per year. I really felt out of place. This year went to Nashville TN. That was fun. Spent some time at the Wildhorse Saloon and partied to the Grand Finale of "Gone Country" TV show hosted by John Ritchy on CMT. What a Blast! Nashville was full of friendly southerners and the hospitality was great. People appeared to be more down to earth there!!! I would love Disney with the family, and plan to go within the next few years. My youngest child is still too small!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM

77 posts, read 197,417 times
Default Vacations outside of Maine (where we live!)

Recently, Las Vegas has been our preference; I've also enjoyed Seattle, Southern California (Santa Monica and Santa Barbara) and Bay Area California (Los Gatos and San Jose). I guess I like the West Coast because it's so different than the East Coast. Oh, I also like Toronto!

Old 11-16-2007, 07:43 AM

11 posts, read 26,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
The Smoky Mountains for us.
I went to the Smoky Mountains abour 12 years ago! Absolutely breathtaking and very quaint! I did not get to spend much time there as we were just driving through on our way toTexas, so I can't wait to go back.

My husband and I went to Niagara Falls for our honeymoon (I know, how very traditional) But we love it there- the wonder and beauty of the thundering water is quite powerful. Alot of touristy stuff there that could be done away with, but the pure and natural beauty of the falls far outweigh any negatives.

And we recently got back from Cabo San Lucas, MX. A true paradise on earth- lovely weather and again natural beauty, but it is the playground for wealthy west-coasters and we felt a bit out of place there. Not to mention the fact that our dollar did not go as far as we thought it might! We thought "let's go to Mexico, we'll be rich there" Not quite...

Old 11-16-2007, 08:53 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
We seldom go on "vacation"; when you are retired the term "vacation" doesn't quite seem to fit. We do take "trips"--local: Yosemite, Las Vegas, Monterey and each year we go to visit relatives in Japan for several weeks and then spend a couple of weeks traveling and sightseeing before coming home. When we move to Maine we will probably take a "trip" to a southern clime, in late winter, when we are feeling sun deprived. We also have pretty regularly had visitors from abroad come to stay with us for 3 or 4 weeks, and we do the tourist thing for them--which isn't exactly a "vacation" but is a recreational break from our more day to day routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: