Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 08:04 AM

19 posts, read 26,069 times

Advertisements

What can people tell me about Norway? My wife has a solid job offer there. We are a small family in our mid 30's. She is from northern VT and I am from NH. We would be moving up from the South after we exit the military. Is it good area for kids, are outsiders accepted? I worry about being isolated, but we both want jump in with both feet and become part of the community. I am also interested in the socio-economic and political breakdown of the area. Any information about the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 03:20 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug1980 View Post
What can people tell me about Norway? My wife has a solid job offer there. We are a small family in our mid 30's. She is from northern VT and I am from NH. We would be moving up from the South after we exit the military. Is it good area for kids, are outsiders accepted? I worry about being isolated, but we both want jump in with both feet and become part of the community. I am also interested in the socio-economic and political breakdown of the area. Any information about the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Well, here is a good site: http://www.city-data.com/city/Norway-Maine.html to give you the basic information. You mentioned that your wife has a job there, are you planning to seek employment also? If so, especially if you need to work, or really want to work, I'd get the job first.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:46 PM

Appreciate the reply. Turns out we are heading there on Monday. Excited to see the town. Thanks, friend.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
It's in a pretty area.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:47 PM

393 posts, read 981,597 times
Norway is nice, but you should expand your search to nearby places as well, ie Harrison, Bridgton, Waterford. Any of these areas are good for kids but I'd also check out the quality of schools in each place, as they do differ. If there is any chance of going to an area (ie Lovell or Stoneham) which allows the kids to attend Fryeburg Academy tuition-free, there is no better high school anywhere.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
T,: We just left Norway a few weeks ago, as we spend some summer vacation there each year.. The small
town seems to be under restoration as more of a upscale artist region.. There is a summer street
art show.. Norway is very close to Oxford & almost connected.
The lake there is very clean & nice park / launch area.. I heard it is very big business in the winter for
snow-mobile carnival.. There should be a network for ATV trails. This is what Maine woods activities are.
Just down on #117 is Streaked mtn for hiking to top of the rock summit. Library is big there.
Another employer is New Balance sneaker / shoe I believe. . Let us know what you think.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 AM

We liked it. Thanks for all the info. Looks like we are moving there in about a year. We can't wait to get back up north!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:26 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
I'm glad you liked the area. If it were me I would prefer living in Bridgton.. I have spent time there many summer and loved the downtown area. Not sure what the comute would be from Bridgton to Norway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine