U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 AM
 
299 posts, read 153,733 times
Reputation: 382

Advertisements

No doubt that there are a lot of great things at the Common Ground Fair..........but much of it has turned into a glorified yuppie fest and craft fair.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2013, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,797 posts, read 28,274,301 times
Reputation: 8831
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
No doubt that there are a lot of great things at the Common Ground Fair..........but much of it has turned into a glorified yuppie fest and craft fair.
There are a lot of vendors. Most of the vendors sell handcrafts that seem to draw wealthy people from out-of-state.

I go for the workshops. To me, the workshops focus more on the needs of the members of MOFGA.

If you need to brush up on fruit grafting, ... Or if you are planing to build an off-grid home, ... Or if you have a couple horses that you want to train as a team for twitching logs out of the forest, ... these are the kinds of skills that are shared at the fair.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Near the Stone Barn
866 posts, read 550,036 times
Reputation: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Slyfox2 - have you ever actually attended?
Moderator cut: personal remarks

I said if you were a gardener or farmer or were into food like that it would be the best thing since sliced bread.

Moderator cut: personal, off topic And yes, I've been there at the behest of local friends. I was bored out of my skull. Luckily I took a good book. I'm also on a diet, though some of it I could eat, I cannot pig out since I have a calorie limit.

BTW, my wife loved it. Craft Fair heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

If you need to brush up on fruit grafting, ... Or if you are planing to build an off-grid home, ... Or if you have a couple horses that you want to train as a team for twitching logs out of the forest, ... these are the kinds of skills that are shared at the fair.
And yes.... if this is what you need, it IS the best thing since sliced bread.

Last edited by Marka; 09-06-2013 at 05:40 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 AM
 
299 posts, read 153,733 times
Reputation: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There are a lot of vendors. Most of the vendors sell handcrafts that seem to draw wealthy people from out-of-state.

I go for the workshops. To me, the workshops focus more on the needs of the members of MOFGA.

If you need to brush up on fruit grafting, ... Or if you are planing to build an off-grid home, ... Or if you have a couple horses that you want to train as a team for twitching logs out of the forest, ... these are the kinds of skills that are shared at the fair.
Yup. The fair is awesome for those attending specific workshops or to find out how-to.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 07:54 AM
 
1,253 posts, read 963,139 times
Reputation: 2472
Well, I can't wait (and I hope anyone who's grouchy and bored stays home!)!

I'm looking forward to --

grazing at the Johnny's seeds fields and buying new seeds at discount
enjoying bluegrass music
eating a grilled lamb chop served up by Bill Noon
checking out the beekeeping setups, the Hobbit Houses and the chicken chateaux
touching base with the Small House guy
feeling all the kinds of fiber (alpaca, lamb, cashmere, etc.) and watching it being spun
buying artemisia

and this year I hope to --

maybe get some quail from Dana the quail guy (have any of you done this?)
watch the bean-flour presentation
finally get my European scythe!!!

What else do you guys like to do at the fair?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 AM
 
1,568 posts, read 2,231,467 times
Reputation: 1027
I missed last year's fair for the first time since 1979, for health reasons. Hope to attend this year. And yes, there is a certain element of same-o same-o to it, but I always learn something new and I always leave with a backpack full of interesting literature and new ideas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,797 posts, read 28,274,301 times
Reputation: 8831
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Well, I can't wait (and I hope anyone who's grouchy and bored stays home!)!

I'm looking forward to --

grazing at the Johnny's seeds fields and buying new seeds at discount
Johnny's was great last year. What a fantastic idea. They grew a patch with a wide assortment of greens, and encouraged us to 'graze' to taste-test the varieties.

I have pages of catalog descriptions telling about this green and that green, but being able to freely taste test them was a much better method of deciding which ones we wanted.

We have six 8' sections of rain-gutter setup on our porch for growing greens. 2013 was our first chance to fully use them for producing greens. It was really nice to have green seeds that we knew were going to be good.

In the spring of 2012, I went to the annual Seed-Savers Swap and there I got a large helping of greens seeds. But it was an unlabeled mixture. A vendor had been custom mixing greens for a couple chefs that he had contracts with. When the 2011 season was over he dumped all remaining seed into a mixer and made it available at the Swap. It was great to get so many seeds for free, but the resulting mix was not pleasing to our palate.

Seeing Johnny's setup, I realized that we did not know what mix we wanted. It was well worth going, simply to be able to taste-test the greens and decide which ones we wanted. This year's production was much nicer.



Quote:
... enjoying bluegrass music
eating a grilled lamb chop served up by Bill Noon
checking out the beekeeping setups, the Hobbit Houses and the chicken chateaux
touching base with the Small House guy
feeling all the kinds of fiber (alpaca, lamb, cashmere, etc.) and watching it being spun
buying artemisia

and this year I hope to --

maybe get some quail from Dana the quail guy (have any of you done this?)
watch the bean-flour presentation
finally get my European scythe!!!

What else do you guys like to do at the fair?
This summer the TSC in Bangor has began hosting a 'Chicken Swap' the second and fourth Saturdays of every month. I attended a few times, and I was able to sell our piglets. Among the regular vendors at the Chicken Swap are some poultry breeders. Now they are into breed competitions and ribbons, etc. Which is outside of my focus. However there are quail, turkey, pea fowl, etc being sold there.

We have been doing chickens, turkeys, ducks. No quail.



I enjoy the bean-flour demo. I hear rumor that this year she is going to shift focus away from drying / grinding beans to flour; over to cooking and mashing them to make stuff. It should be interesting to see how far she gets in making her usual line-up: pizza, breads, cookies, crackers, fudge and cake. People were complaining that they do not own grist-mills, so demoing how to grind beans to flour was not a useful skill. But that is just the rumor I am spreading.



I got my European scythe at the fair. I use it a lot.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 08:56 AM
 
1,253 posts, read 963,139 times
Reputation: 2472
Sub, what's the TSC ?

I really thought those quail were great -- they only need a small rabbit cage (smaller is better, Dana told me), normal feed, they are quiet, and they each give you an egg a day (females do of course).

That European scythe has to happen. Like Maine Writer, the weed situation is severe here. I just can't keep on top of it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,797 posts, read 28,274,301 times
Reputation: 8831
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Sub, what's the TSC ?
Answered via PM.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Maine
5,661 posts, read 7,688,426 times
Reputation: 4671
Tractor Supply Company. Bangor Maine Swap April 6th!!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top