Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:08 AM

47,835 posts, read 21,867,692 times

Advertisements

Rumplestilzkin in the Grimm fairy tale sang, “Today I brew, Tomorrow I bake and the next day the Queens baby I take”. (Those Grimm brothers really lived up to their name!)

As we approach Thanksgiving I am about ready to do the baking thing. I usually make pumpkin bread using a recipe that was on an old newspaper clipping stuck in a recipe book; either I lost it or packed up that particular book…..so I went on line and amidst the dozens of pumpkin bread recipes I found one that called itself, “Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread” from "Tried and True Favorites" cookbook. That seems like an omen so I am going to make it; if the bread is "Down East Maine", maybe it will hasten me on my way.

It seems similar to what I used to do, but a bit richer in the number of eggs and amount of oil. I plan to add some nuts and some sultana raisins. Here it is in case you lost yours or want to cook up an "omen" in your oven this Thanksgiving. I love pumpkin bread with whipped cream cheese!

Downeast Pumpkin Bread

1 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
4 eggs
1 cup of vegetable oil (wonder if half the oil could be melted sweet butter?)
2/3 cup water (maybe poland springs water?)
3 cups white sugar
3 ½ cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger

Mix eggs, pumpkin, oil, water, and sugar till well blended.
In separate bowl, wisk dry ingredients.
Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended.
Pour into greased and floured pans (they recommend 3 7x3 inch loaf pans)
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 mins or till a tooth pick or straw inserted in center comes out clean.

Mind you, I haven't tried this one yet, so no testimonials, but I can't resist the Maine connection. Pumpkin Bread improves if it sits and mellows a day or two after baking.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 12:33 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,656,731 times
Yum! Sounds delicious. Thanks so much for posting. I was looking for something different to make for Thanksgiving dessert. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Old 11-15-2007, 12:45 PM

I don't know if it will qualify for dessert; I love it for breakfast or with a cuppa coffee or tea. I like to make what Mom called ribbon sandwiches--thinly slice several pieces of the bread; spread with cream cheese and stack them together and then cut them into "ladies fingers" so you can see the layers of bread and ribbons of cream cheese, moist, tasty and pretty. (I can't wait I am off to my kitchen)

Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,623,750 times
Sounds great! I have to cook up my "new england pie pumpkin" first -- I prefer it to the canned stuff -- but I will save and bake some -- probably in my baby loaf pans since I am still counting those "evil carbs"... so I can have some to share and / or freeze. I also like a slice of such bread with the morning coffee.. nuked, just a tad, to warm it.

Yeah, I'll be baking up an omen too!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,035,263 times
yum elston!! I'm copying and pasting!

I can't help noticing elston how well you fit in with us here! so glad to have you around!

star, I've never tried the mini-pans, do you find you have to decrease your bake time quite a bit? I noticed some the other day at wally world, didn't get them, but I'm thinking I'd like to try them. We have a teenage boy so the large loaves don't last long, but I'm thinking of baskets for Christmas.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:36 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,623,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
yum elston!! I'm copying and pasting!

I can't help noticing elston how well you fit in with us here! so glad to have you around!

star, I've never tried the mini-pans, do you find you have to decrease your bake time quite a bit? I noticed some the other day at wally world, didn't get them, but I'm thinking I'd like to try them. We have a teenage boy so the large loaves don't last long, but I'm thinking of baskets for Christmas.
\yes you do have to decrease baking time... I play it by ear... so I can't really give you any good idea of by how much. I guess looking at the timing of muffins vs a quick bread loaf would be a good way to start.

FWIW one of the reasons, I think, that I took so quickly to wood stove/oven cooking (not thermostat controlled) is that I have a very intuitive way of cooking in general. Didn't take much of a leap to check oven temp by "hand" etc...

Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,167,777 times
Thumbs up Hello Elston!

AHH!!

Thank you for posting this! YUM YUM!

Great recipe!

I will be trying it!

Take care,

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Rumplestilzkin in the Grimm fairy tale sang, “Today I brew, Tomorrow I bake and the next day the Queens baby I take”. (Those Grimm brothers really lived up to their name!)

As we approach Thanksgiving I am about ready to do the baking thing. I usually make pumpkin bread using a recipe that was on an old newspaper clipping stuck in a recipe book; either I lost it or packed up that particular book…..so I went on line and amidst the dozens of pumpkin bread recipes I found one that called itself, “Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread” from "Tried and True Favorites" cookbook. That seems like an omen so I am going to make it; if the bread is "Down East Maine", maybe it will hasten me on my way.

It seems similar to what I used to do, but a bit richer in the number of eggs and amount of oil. I plan to add some nuts and some sultana raisins. Here it is in case you lost yours or want to cook up an "omen" in your oven this Thanksgiving. I love pumpkin bread with whipped cream cheese!

Downeast Pumpkin Bread

1 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
4 eggs
1 cup of vegetable oil (wonder if half the oil could be melted sweet butter?)
2/3 cup water (maybe poland springs water?)
3 cups white sugar
3 ½ cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger

Mix eggs, pumpkin, oil, water, and sugar till well blended.
In separate bowl, wisk dry ingredients.
Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended.
Pour into greased and floured pans (they recommend 3 7x3 inch loaf pans)
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 mins or till a tooth pick or straw inserted in center comes out clean.

Mind you, I haven't tried this one yet, so no testimonials, but I can't resist the Maine connection. Pumpkin Bread improves if it sits and mellows a day or two after baking.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:41 PM

star, I remember my mother putting a piece of white paper in the over and judging the temp by how long it took to turn a particular shade of golden brown.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:06 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,729,099 times
Your recipe looks delicious!
Thanks so much for sharing it with us

Old 11-15-2007, 07:33 PM

48 posts, read 101,132 times
Default Okay, great pumpkin bread, but ...

does anyone have a spectacular recipe for cranberry bread?

Surely among this esteemed crowd of cooks ....

Stephen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine