Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:00 PM

163 posts, read 908,549 times

Advertisements

After living in Texas for the past 12 years, I'm seriously contemplating moving back to the northeast, where I was born and raised. I'm originally from Connecticut, but my entire family lives in the greater Portland area now. I've visited dozens of times and really like it there, but I'm a bit concerned about finding a job and making friends.

It seems like a lot of people in Maine are not very fond of Texans. I say this because of the comments I hear when I visit, and things I see posted in various internet forums. I imagine this probably has a lot to do with people's disdain for one particular resident of Crawford...but I also think it's largely due to stereotypes that existed long before Bush became president.

The plan is to move there, and then find a job while I stay with family. My concern is that when I start sending out resumes, hiring managers are not going to want to interview "the guy from Texas".

We all know that a number Mainers don't like people "from away". My fear is that this is especially true of people from Texas.

So what do you all think....am I being paranoid, or realistic? Give me the straight dope here... no sugar coated, politically correct answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 01:16 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,095,422 times
Well, do you have a Texas drawl? are you married? because if you do, you may have a jealous spouse! There's something very sweet about that drawl for a lot of us .....*cough* *cough*.....not that I'd be one of them mind you....

Seriously though, I don't think you'd have anything to worry about. I know there are a few people out there that like to put forth that gruff old mainer image about not caring about people from away, but those folks are very few and far between. One thing I would do is create an opportunity to share that you have family in the area. People move here and don't like it, then move away again. Employers can be skeptical sometimes about hiring someone, not knowing how long they'll stay. Depending upon your job, they may have invested time and money in your training, so they're looking for someone who'll be around for a while. By noting that you have family in the area, a potential employer understands that you have "reason" to stay.

One other note, I've visited every Maine forum google came up with....some of them are unmoderated and the people on them take advantage of that. A lot of what I read was so far from the truth I could feel my blood boiling just thinking of the misrepresentation. So, my suggestion is to visit THIS forum a lot, read a lot, and you'll get a more accurate feel of how Maine really is. And you don't have to take my word for that. Anyone who's been here to visit then moved will tell you that this forum is a great cross section of people from Maine--a good reflection of real people.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:23 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,335 times
Hey bigdummy,
My dad is Texan and moved up here to a small hick town in NH in the '60's. He fell in love with my Mom (a blue blooded Yankee girl) and has been here ever since. It still amazes me that because of his accent he has almost a celebrity status. You will do fine in your move back East. Best of luck.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:27 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Probably a bit paranoid to tell the truth. I haven't heard one person talk disparagingly against Texans in general. Oh sure the biggest gripe with Texas is "W" and "The Dixie Chicks" among the people I talk to, but never heard anybody hold that against another individual. You will always get the <insert alt. name for donkey> who doesn't like ANYBODY who wasn't born here to parents that were born here, but they are the exception. Down in the Portland area they are even more open than the dirt farmers up here in Aroostook County, so I cannot imagine there would be a problem. Plus if you are single, the ladies love the accent (I lived in Texas and whenever I went down that direction when I was single, I tossed out the Texas Accent because they liked guys from away, better than guys from "The County.")

Old 11-15-2007, 01:29 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,567 times
Same response as with anyone from any other State. As long as you don't start every sentence with, "Well, in Texas we do __xyz______ this way", you'll be fine.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:31 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Same response as with anyone from any other State. As long as you don't start every sentence with, "Well, in Texas we do __xyz______ this way", you'll be fine.

Hearty "Amen" to this statement! But, that also holds true if you put any other location in the statement, not just Texas.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,417,688 times
Wow! I've missed a lot this afternoon!! Guess I should have asked this question before I decided to move up there.

I think this is the part where I say......if anyone has any objections to this woman and this state being joined.......FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE!

Old 11-15-2007, 02:50 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
I brought the Texas accent back with me, no one has said anything about it.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:52 PM

163 posts, read 908,549 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated! Sounds like my worries are largely unfounded.

I am single, so I'll be sure to bring the accent with me. I had figured I'd need to loose the accent when I move, but sounds like it may be advantageous to hang onto it.

I'll be coming to visit Maine for a week at Christmas time, and after that I'll decide whether or not to make the move. It sure would be an easier decision if the Portland job market was better...but at the same time, if the job market were bigger, there'd be more sprawl and congestion along with it, which would defeat the whole appeal of moving there.

Thanks again!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:00 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,417,688 times
I'm afraid you'll all just have to live with my southern accent. After 38 years, I don't see me shedding it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine