Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:46 PM

129 posts, read 202,533 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are looking to move from Austin Tx to Maine in the next 6 months. The problem is that we have no idea where to start. Of course safety is important to us and we both agree that we would like to live on some type of water whether it be a lake, river, or the ocean. I would prefer an area where I can try ice fishing.
I am disabled due to many back surgeries so the cold isn't as bad on me as wet, nasty weather is. That is one reason we are looking at the east coast instead of the west coast.
We will be attempting to live on around $2000/month and in Austin, that is impossible to do. We also want to live somewhere that we can drive to a grocery store, but out far enough that if things go bad in the US, we won't be in the middle of things.
I enjoy the outdoors although I am limited because of my disability. However, my partner isn't too much of an outdoor girl so we are trying to meet somewhere in the middle.
We are looking for any advise that y'all can give us.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 09:49 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
That area is EXTREMELY remote....and maybe 1,000 people in the whole area. Just so you know.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 PM

Is there some place that you might could recommend?

Last edited by PugLoverof4; 09-12-2013 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: Want to add the response to the question.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 AM

506 posts, read 683,693 times
Pug.......first off, the entire East Coast including Maine has wet, nasty weather since May! This type of weather can be tough on people with arthritis/joint pain which I'm assuming you might be dealing with. The drier and warmer (in general) West Coast/Southwest is a much better place for people with those types of conditions.

That being said........how did you come upon Jackman/Moose Lake? Like maineguy said......those regions are VERY remote! Unless you specifically want to settle there for some reason........you would be better off looking anywhere in Southern/Central Maine.......if you must live on the water........you will pay ($$$) for it. There are plenty of lakefront/river front properties available though. If you are on a tighter budget........I would suggest looking in areas near lakes so that you can be close to good fishing areas but pay a lot less for property. I would suggest the Augusta/Waterville area which have plenty of services, shopping, and a brand new hospital.........as well as the area West and North of Portland.........lots of lakes, but a bit more expensive than Central Maine. Also the Bangor area would provide you good access to many Northern areas without living to far from services/hospitals, etc.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:52 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLoverof4 View Post
My partner and I are looking to move from Austin Tx to Maine in the next 6 months. The problem is that we have no idea where to start. Of course safety is important to us and we both agree that we would like to live on some type of water whether it be a lake, river, or the ocean. I would prefer an area where I can try ice fishing.
I am disabled due to many back surgeries so the cold isn't as bad on me as wet, nasty weather is. That is one reason we are looking at the east coast instead of the west coast.
We will be attempting to live on around $2000/month and in Austin, that is impossible to do. We also want to live somewhere that we can drive to a grocery store, but out far enough that if things go bad in the US, we won't be in the middle of things.
I enjoy the outdoors although I am limited because of my disability. However, my partner isn't too much of an outdoor girl so we are trying to meet somewhere in the middle.
We are looking for any advise that y'all can give us.

Thanks so much!
How well do you speak French? In an area like Jackman, you're just as likely to be dealing with French-speaking visitors from Québec as you are English speakers from Maine. The nearest "city" to Jackman is St. Georges, Québec.

Jackman's population is 862, according to Wikipedia.
Just to warn you, I don't think your significant other would think of a town like Jackman as "meeting in the middle" compared to where you're living. She may not even consider Maine as meeting in the middle, if she likes city life. According to Wikipedia, Austin has a population of approximately 840,000, in one city. Maine has a population of just over 1.3 million, spread throughout the entire state. Our largest city, Portland, does not even have one-tenth of Austin's population.

I hope I'm not sounding pessimistic here, I'm just trying to let you know what you're in for. If you need emergency assistance, it will be miles away up there.

I would seriously suggest that you come for about a month, in January or February, to explore and see how well life here would suit you. By all means, take the drive to Jackman. But also explore the towns surrounding Bangor, Augusta, Lewiston, and Auburn. You can get that rural feel and some land in any of those towns, without being 80 miles away from the nearest English-speaking city.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:50 PM

I am definitely dealing with joint/deep bone/arthritis pain. Is this rainy weather something that always happens on the eastern coast?
Honestly the way I picked these places is I looked up great ice fishing in Maine and that's what came up.
We definitely want to live somewhere that has distinct seasons and somewhere hopefully on freshwater. I grew up on a lake in Texas so I love to fish. Hunting is another story and would only do that if we had to.
Also, I can't forget about our 4 pugs that will be coming with us as of course they are our children....
Some parts of Maine are just too expensive and we are trying to get somewhere colder. We don't want the warm beaches of California if that makes sense. Lol
This is something very, very new to us as neither of us has ever lived outside of Texas.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 PM

Well, you can find some cheap places to live in Maine. Places in southern Maine or near the coast are usually quite expensive.

We actually don't get a huge amount of rain most years.

Maine's a beautiful state. There aren't many bad places to live in Maine.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Well, you can find some cheap places to live in Maine. Places in southern Maine or near the coast are usually quite expensive.

We actually don't get a huge amount of rain most years.

Maine's a beautiful state. There aren't many bad places to live in Maine.
Thank you for your response. Can you give me any ideas on any places? We have to be about an hour from a doctor so I can be seen for my back. It's inevitable that I will have to have more back surgeries unfortunately.
We are okay with being somewhat isolated as long as we can drive somewhere for groceries, etc. As I mentioned before, we will have to live on about $2000/month. Also we would like to be close to freshwater fishing and hopefully some ice fishing too.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:57 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
come visit- in january , see if you like it up here...

if you need to find employment,,,,line up job interviews-then look at the surrounding areas(for housing) of where you found employment

anywhere in maine is close to fishing

Old 09-14-2013, 09:32 AM

It sounds like you are pretty wide open as to your options, which is good. The only parts of the state which will not meet your needs are the entire northwest quarter of the state (too far to a hospital), or the southern Maine/coastal areas (too expensive).
One exception to the former: the area around Allagash is an outdoors paradise, world-famous for the Allagash Wildnerness Waterway. Great fishing, hunting, etc. It is in far northwest Maine, BUT it is only 40-45 minutes or so to the nearest hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine