Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:19 PM

114 posts, read 136,351 times

Advertisements

How do I do that without starting all over again? ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 02:58 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,236,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parducci View Post
Sorry I hit enter to quick. I'm new here. Here's my situation. I was born and raised in Southern Ca. (Los Angeles) Been a city boy for my entire life and am sick of it. Highest taxes in the U.S. Crime is rampant as well as welfare abuse. Gang bangers and a tremendous amount of illegal aliens as we are a border state with Mexico. Horrible traffic and only two seasons. Fall and summer.

I am so past the city life and so is my wife; she's from Miami. We are looking to retire early and move to Maine. I've been doing a lot of research. I notice that the most negative comments tend to come from those that are from Maine. I want an honest assessment.

We want to live next to the ocean. We wish to respect the culture of Maine and it's people. How do residents of Maine take to outsiders, especially from the West Coast? We got a lot of stares when we vacationed in North Carolina a few years ago. People could tell we were not from there. Living in such a congested city, (11,000,000) you tend to move fast and furious in life. I know it will take us time to slow down. Any hints and advise is appreciated. We won't need work as we are retiring so jobs are not in the picture.

We are so looking forward to seasons and are willing to live in the winter. I thank in advance any help and look forward to visiting Maine soon.

molto grazie mio amici's

Try the Bar Harbor area. Nobody will care where you're from.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:51 AM

603 posts, read 1,946,959 times
I've been a member of this forum for a few years now and you've all been an inspiration for me to follow my dreams. I've lived in New York my whole life and cannot wait to leave. I am planning another trip up to Maine this spring. I've only been there once a few years ago and I can't get it out of my head since. It's an indescribable feeling. I am constantly reading these boards to get as much information as possible. I read blogs ( i enjoy reading what mainers have to say rather than info i can get from google):from mainers as well as the news. I think I know more about Maine then I do my own state!

With that being said I just wanted to say thank you for being an inspiration and for giving me hope. I am determined to do whatever I have to do to get there, it's not going to be easy and I'm not quite sure how I'll make it happen but I will. There's no place else I'd rather be. It is where I want to live my life and start a family.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:22 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
That's nice of you to say
Outside of the leg humping trolls, most of us get along well

Tho the gene pool is a bit shallow, not all of us are related

Hope your dreams come true. I love Maine. I travel out of state much more now, but can't wait to get back.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,126,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
While I've told you that was true, its not 100% true. There are snobby people everywhere. But for retirees its about 98% true.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:45 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
I wish we could move there tomorrow. Life here is getting really depressing. I was looking on line for a job in one of our target towns but there are none in my profession. We've been house hunting for two years now and came close to buying in Belfast but it just wasn't the right house. I found another town that we hope to tour soon. Our house is out there, I'll find it.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:19 PM

82 posts, read 194,060 times
Just wanted to "bump" this thread because I've enjoyed reading about everyone's dreams of Maine.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
We've been looking for a place in the woods for over 15 years. Checked Pa., NY and then Maine. We bought some land in 08 and got the house up about 2 years ago. The Mrs got cold feet for a while, and just this week gave the ok to make the move Iin 2014.

We're in Jersey City NJ and can't wait to get out. I'm walking from a 6 figure job because life is short and isn't fair. Jersey crime, taxes, insurance, utility bills are through the roof.

Not a clue as to what I'll do once I get there, but I don't care. We want to live life on our terms, and you only get one shot at it.

Some photos in my profile area.
You look like a Mainer, you'll fit right in! Congratulations on leaving the 6-figure grind for something real.

DH and I are mostly retired (we do a little freelance, he as a graphic designer and me as an editor/mag designer). We have wanted to live in Maine since we were undergrads in Boston and we went on our honeymoon to Camden (by Greyhound bus from Portland!). We have explored the Bath/ Brunswick area extensively and that would probably be our choice for a final destination. We know the mid-coast and the Augusta/Gardiner/Richmond area.

One of the great things about Maine is the beautiful Kennebeck River, which shows up in so many places and which you actually have access to (unlike the Conn. River). We love sitting in the river parks of Gardiner and Bath. We can see ourselves happily growing old sitting on a bench staring at the river, drinking coffee and chatting with Mainers. I hope we can fit in, we have no pretensions whatsoever and just wanna grow old in Maine. The two things stalling us are long winters and cherished grandkids left behind, but it's a five-hour drive which is doable.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,126,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I live in BH. Austin's right. 40% of MDI full time residents are retired from all over the place. Join Senior College, The YMCA, the Rotary, the garden club, one of the many episcopal churches, and join in with everyone.

You'll fit right in. Its glorious.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:15 PM

103 posts, read 194,282 times
Just wanted to bump this up and see if there are any more stories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine