Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:48 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLoverof4 View Post
As always I am always thankful for any info I get. I have looked up Allagash on the web and it is absolutely gorgeous! With Maine being such a beautiful state, I'm sure there are other beautiful areas too.
90% of Maine is forest and beautiful.

Quote:
... I would really like to live in a remote area that is easy and quick to get to a bigger town.
Those are found by the dozens.

Quote:
... I actually need more than a clinic. I need a neuro center.
Pick the medical center you need. Then draw a 40 mile circle around that dot.

Maine has dozens of rivers, hundreds of lakes, and over 3,000 miles of ocean frontage.

Quote:
Also, what is the best type if heating to use in a home? I have seen oil, wood, and something about the floor??
You generally burn something.

Radiant flooring is about how you move the heat into your home. Some folks have hot-water circulating through base-board heaters, others have hot-water circulating through the floor.

We burn wood, it heats water, the heated-water circulates through our floor, so we have warn feet

We live about 25 minutes from downtown Bangor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 05:48 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,909 times
Might I suggest that you visit prior to making the move. The Allagash is a very beautiful, remote area but could present unique challenges, simply based on location. Winters can be long and "mud" season is sure to follow. Depending on the severity and type of back condition could also present challenges as Maine is very green...and that green comes from much precipitation. Cold, damp weather can exacerbate arthritic conditions. Moving up in January could be a rough time....try to visit beforehand.....don't forget your camera....best of luck !

Old 09-15-2013, 06:06 AM

129 posts, read 202,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Might I suggest that you visit prior to making the move. The Allagash is a very beautiful, remote area but could present unique challenges, simply based on location. Winters can be long and "mud" season is sure to follow. Depending on the severity and type of back condition could also present challenges as Maine is very green...and that green comes from much precipitation. Cold, damp weather can exacerbate arthritic conditions. Moving up in January could be a rough time....try to visit beforehand.....don't forget your camera....best of luck !
If you don't mind me asking, what is "mud" season? I think I've pretty well got it figured out, but if you could explain it thoroughly, I would very much aporeciate it. Thanks again for the advice!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:23 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, what is "mud" season? I think I've pretty well got it figured out, but if you could explain it thoroughly, I would very much aporeciate it. Thanks again for the advice!
Mud season is when the frozen ground thaws in the Spring, everything turns to mud. So, that effects driveways, unpaved roads and parking lots, lawns (get swampy), etc. I never found it a problem... as long as I stayed on paved surfaces.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:11 AM

The previous poster about defined "mud" season quite well. The clue within was "staying on paved surfaces". Back in the day we would say Northern Maine has 10 months of winter and 2 months of bad sledding....oh....did I mention "bug" season. I'm not trying to paint a negative picture, but the Allagash is no metropolis. Many secondary roads are not paved. Log trucks used to have the "right of way"....that neck of the woods can for sure test your fortitude !

Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
Quote:
The previous poster about defined "mud" season quite well. The clue within was "staying on paved surfaces". Back in the day we would say Northern Maine has 10 months of winter and 2 months of bad sledding....oh....did I mention "bug" season. I'm not trying to paint a negative picture, but the Allagash is no metropolis. Many secondary roads are not paved. Log trucks used to have the "right of way"....that neck of the woods can for sure test your fortitude !
Which is why NO ONE should just move up there without having tried it first. I've never lived in Allagash, but knew someone that came from there and visited often. It's a great little community. But it is like Vanceboro and a bunch of other places in Maine: very isolated. MOST people are not going to like it there, that's why very few live there.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Bug season? What exactly is meant by this? I mean if we're talking mosquitoes, etc, that can be handled, but since I'm not from there I really have no clue what is meant by this. As always, I welcome all of the information given.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Which is why NO ONE should just move up there without having tried it first. I've never lived in Allagash, but knew someone that came from there and visited often. It's a great little community. But it is like Vanceboro and a bunch of other places in Maine: very isolated. MOST people are not going to like it there, that's why very few live there.
We actually will be traveling in an RV and won't be settling on any one place before visiting it for awhile. I'm sad to hear this about such a beautiful area. However, I do take all advice very seriously as you are the ones that live there and know these areas. Are there any areas that you might recommend that meet the criteria that I have mentioned before on this post? Especially the one about living on $2000/month?
Again, I appreciate all of the information given.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:37 AM

The general area in which we speak, I do have considerable living experience. I have lived thru the ice storms, the floods, and the blow downs. Having read the OP's original post I sensed a lot of red flags. Yes, the Allagash, much like the back country of Alaska brings with it, many unique challenges. Isolation is an interesting concept, usually a secondary consequence to low population density, but not necessarily . I agree.....prior to any permanent relocation the OP should visit, chat with the natives, and then re-visit at those less desirable times of year . I deal with people on a regular basis that seek the path less traveled, many will say "this is beautiful....I want to live here".....more often than not...the beauty fades when reality sets in.......just my opinion

Old 09-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
The general area in which we speak, I do have considerable living experience. I have lived thru the ice storms, the floods, and the blow downs. Having read the OP's original post I sensed a lot of red flags. Yes, the Allagash, much like the back country of Alaska brings with it, many unique challenges. Isolation is an interesting concept, usually a secondary consequence to low population density, but not necessarily . I agree.....prior to any permanent relocation the OP should visit, chat with the natives, and then re-visit at those less desirable times of year . I deal with people on a regular basis that seek the path less traveled, many will say "this is beautiful....I want to live here".....more often than not...the beauty fades when reality sets in.......just my opinion
I can definitely see your point. This is always an area I can visit once I am settled somewhere else in Maine. I appreciate your honesty. You stated that you saw my original posting. After reading that, is there someplace else that you might suggest in the price range I have mentioned?
Again, thank you for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine