U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:30 AM

16,347 posts, read 20,671,595 times

Advertisements

The latest issue of Down East magazine has a very interesting article, wherein it shows that Maine and Louisianna were the two poorest states in the nation last year. The only states where the economy actually got substanntially worse. And Louisianna had Hurricane Katrina!!!

But in that same issue is another article detailing how Maine has the largest percentage of cat owners in the US.

Coincidence??? Or are cats really the emodiments of evil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 11:31 AM

536 posts, read 2,854,930 times
Thems cats ain't evil - theys good eatin!

That is an interesting statistic. Growing up I would have attributed it to farms because you could go to any farm and see barns almost bursting at the seams with cats. I think Wisconsin has also recently had a problem with it - they also have similar weather and a lot of farms (but their problem is ferrel cats). Maybe it's a good breeding ground for those loveable varmits.

Now that most of those farms have been converted into regular homes (in Maine), I'm not sure what would be the cause for this, except maybe loneliness, after kids reach 18 and leave the state for (what they think will be) greener pastures.

Not surprised about the report on the economy in Maine though. Same old, same old since mostl the lumber factories left the state (leaving a huge tax gap to be made up by residents) in the late 80s/early 90s.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I think Wisconsin has also recently had a problem with it - they also have similar weather and a lot of farms (but their problem is ferrel cats). Maybe it's a good breeding ground for those loveable varmits.
It was either Wisconsin or Minnesota (or maybe both) that was having such a problem with feral cats a few years ago that they opened a limited hunting season on them. Basically, you were allowed to shoot and kill any feral cat.

Personally, I'd rather have a barn full of snakes than cats to help keep the mice down, but I suppose that snakes might have a hard time surviving the Maine winter.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:53 PM

71 posts, read 230,207 times
Default Poverty in Maine affects all its residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It was either Wisconsin or Minnesota (or maybe both) that was having such a problem with feral cats a few years ago that they opened a limited hunting season on them. Basically, you were allowed to shoot and kill any feral cat.

Personally, I'd rather have a barn full of snakes than cats to help keep the mice down, but I suppose that snakes might have a hard time surviving the Maine winter.
I prefer snakes to cats to control the mice population. They are very efficient and unobtrusive.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the poverty issue in Maine could be solved as simply as removing all the cats? Wistfully thinking . . .

Anyone planning to move to Maine, but especially those who have young children, should do a Google search on "Maine poverty". If you read nothing else, read the 5-part series on The Hidden Faces of Poverty printed by the Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram. (The link will be a few items down on the first page of search results.)

This is a sobering problem which affects the entire state, and it is not going to go away soon. Even if you have employment and an affordable home, you will be affected.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:13 PM

422 posts, read 1,752,362 times
I thought New Mexico had the most poverty

Old 10-17-2006, 08:08 AM

4,958 posts, read 10,566,766 times
I read the article on poverty, and it is very sad. But...every state in this great country of our's has problems with poverty. I've done quite a bit of traveling in the US, and I've seen poverty in every state. It's a national problem. Unfortunately there is no quick fix. The best we can do is help and not turn our backs on people in need. (I grew up in Illinois and Wisconsin. Due to some unfortunate events, my family and I were homeless several times. It's a horrible feeling, one that I wouldn't wish on anyone.) All I'm trying to say is that nobody should be discouraged from moving to Maine due to an issue that exists in every state. Just my 2 cents...

Old 10-17-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
I thought New Mexico had the most poverty
You are correct. In fact, there are several states that are still poorer than Maine. However, Maine and Louisianna were the only states last year in which the economy actually declined. In 2005, Maine lost 1,700 manufacturing jobs and 800 financial sector jobs. The job growth rate for New England last year was 0.6%. It was 1.5% for the nation as a whole. Maine's was 0%.

I still say we blame the cats.

The story actually originated from the Sun Journal in Lewiston. You might check their website to see if they have it up.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:28 PM

607 posts, read 3,305,078 times
Hey, I'm deeply offended by all of the comments about getting rid of all the cats.

just kidding

Old 11-06-2006, 01:59 AM

4,213 posts, read 7,112,718 times
I like cats.
Maine supposedly has the highest per capita tax burden of any state. The tax man can drive you to poverty.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:39 AM

439 posts, read 527,881 times
The poor cats-I did see that the state of Wisconsin recently passed a law that alow the 'killing' of feral cats-something of the like.

Seems that Wisconsin is being 'over run' by multitudes of homeless/feral cats.
In my tiny condo community here in eastern Connecticut- we have had a regular 'cat family' here for the last few years. These animals cannot be domesticated- and do rely on humans much. They do reproduce- but lucky for us we have not seen a large growth in the feral population.

We do feed them- and they do live in our little community. In the winter one of us has a plastic heated greenhouse- where these poor animals go to escape the cold and feed.

Local animal control officials do not do an adequate job, in trapping these cats, and altering them.

I myself have a cat I got at the Connecticut human society- she was a 'stray' an animal that has been domesticated to live with humans- but has been lost or abandoned. These outdoor cats can rarely be domesticated. Controlling their population is the best way to deal with them reproducing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or