Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 07:11 AM

19 posts, read 26,069 times

Advertisements

What would people say the political climate is like in Norway and the Oxford Hills area? It was hard to tell when I visited there for job interview. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 07:18 AM

506 posts, read 683,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I'm not sure that Mainers are that liberal on social issues. The gay marriage issue was largely decided by just repeatedly bringing it up and large amounts of out of state money pouring into a scarcely populated state. Southern Maine is becoming more and more dominated by people from Massachusetts, and it's hard to get more liberal than them.
You don't change people's minds on something like that with "large amounts of money". I think that there were a variety of factors that got more people to support gay marriage........with the main ones being common sense (does it REALLY affect me?) and the negative publicity and scandals that have rocked the Catholic Church (hypocrites?)........also, as more people come out.......more people knew someone that would be affected by their vote.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Well, first of all, I can produce a poll to show any result I want (which I think is what you were implying). But even if you accept the polls as valid, they really confirm the effect of southern Maine's demographics changing, northern and rural Maine losing population, and the effect of many years of propaganda from liberal media sources and out-of-state money. I, personally, couldn't care less either way about gay marriage, but money and vastly one-sided propaganda will have a major effect on voting results. My point is that I don't think that means that Maine is socially liberal overall.
Yeah.....we can tell that you could care less either way.

Maine IS more socially liberal overall........but it doesn't stem from a "Massachusetts liberal" mentality.......but more of a "live and let live" mentality. People in Maine don't like being told how to live by the government (or their neighbors!).......period.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
You don't change people's minds on something like that with "large amounts of money".
You've just invalidated the whole advertising industry lol. When you start out a post with something like this, it means that discussion is impossible.

Anyway, as I said, I've got no interest in the gay marriage issue. I'm addressing the point that it doesn't mean that the state is socially liberal as a whole. That's the only point I'm interested in discussiong.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug1980 View Post
What would people say the political climate is like in Norway and the Oxford Hills area? It was hard to tell when I visited there for job interview. Thanks.
Conservative......higher poverty rate than some other parts of Maine......a bit "rednecky".

Old 09-22-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug1980 View Post
Here is a good site:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

There are pockets of liberals outside of southern Maine (e.g. many coastal areas), so I think you wise to look at the website I provided you. Also, remember that I separated liberals into the Teddy Kennedy types (rich ones), and the poor types. So wherever people are on the dole, they have a personal interest in preserving that.

Last edited by Yac; 10-10-2013 at 07:08 AM..

Old 09-22-2013, 07:36 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Conservative......higher poverty rate than some other parts of Maine......a bit "rednecky".
not sure about this, tho i may agree with a shallow gene pool

the poverty areas of the state often vote democrats -for the freebees-

some rural areas are deep in tradition of hunting, also, folks that work 2-3 jobs, and dont want government intrusion , should vote conservative

Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah.....we can tell that you could care less either way.

Maine IS more socially liberal overall........but it doesn't stem from a "Massachusetts liberal" mentality.......but more of a "live and let live" mentality. People in Maine don't like being told how to live by the government (or their neighbors!).......period.
Actually, the "let and let live mentality" comes from libertarians, not liberals. Liberals are more interested in government forcing behaviors from people (consider the soda ban in NYC). Two completely different perspectives. Gay marriage has never been illegal anywhere. It's the government involvement of it that makes it a liberal issue. The government involvement involves force to compel behavior. That's where liberals are at their most comfortable state.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 AM

19 posts, read 26,069 times
Thanks. That is an interesting website.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:55 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
There are a few areas of conservatism, but Maine has been run by the Democratic Party for over 40 years. (Even though Angus King was an independent when he was governor for 8 years, he was liberal). The Legislature has been liberal for many, many years, with few exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine