Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 04:55 PM

17 posts, read 20,036 times

Advertisements

I have been appreciating most feedback so far. Some responders I notice like to pick apart and take literal meaning at times. So for those who just want to pick a trolling fight look elsewhere.

EMMC is one place we have inquired but also Mercy Health Care system. Do home prices drop in winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 05:57 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyMan1234 View Post
Bangor seems like a lovely place in Maine, not too big and not too small. Some housing websites reflect houses get cheaper up north? Is this true or is there a reason for this?

East Maine Medical seems good but Maine Medical Center in Portland area seems like a good teaching hospital also.

Are there any issues with utilities and roads up in Bangor or other cities in Maine? Example do pipes freeze over causing any issues and are the roads cleared of snow fast by the state or city governments? In some midwest states clearing of roads is terrible and slow, unlike in Denver CO where they plow at the first sign of snow.
I grew up in the Bangor area. If you'd asked me back a couple of decades ago, I'd have told you the roads stink. Now? Not so much. Not only do we tend to have much less snow than we once had (IMO) the roads are very well maintained and traveling is generally not a problem. Since your wife is an RN, hospitals are noted for letting employees spend the night if the weather is really bad. Our power rarely ever goes off now. Short of the storm of 1978 and the Ice Storm of 1998, I can't remember a stretch when the power is out more than a few hours at most.

As far as pipes - I'm not sure what pipes you are referring to - city water pipes or house pipes? If it's house pipes, they freeze everywhere if they aren't properly insulated or if a house is allowed to dip below freezing. Mobil home owners wrap special heat tape around the water outlet hose at the first sign of freezing and generally have no problem if they maintain it properly. Once and a while they have an issue with a city water pipe, but they take care of it quickly as a general rule.

Nursing salaries will also depend on experience and specialty licensing. Pay range can be anywhere from $21 to $40+ an hour, depending on what she has for certificates. Traveling nurses also get paid a lot more. She will not have a problem finding a job anywhere in Maine.

I can't go off on the state of mental health services here - the state's Emergency Rooms are rarely empty of mental health patients - funding (much like everywhere else) is being butchered and I believe there's a major dearth of suitable psych beds which annoys me to no end, so I shall zip my lip on the topic, but as far as counseling jobs, this is what I found:

Counseling Jobs, Employment in Bangor, ME | Indeed.com You could easily type in Portland to see what's down there if you're more interested in that area.

I honestly don't think you'd have much of an issue with finding a counseling job up here.

Good luck!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 PM

404 posts, read 777,897 times
and I was just going to say you might find the space you looking for up near bangor. Maine Med is more progressive than eastern maine but its worth a look. My sister was a nurse at EMMC till she retired. House are cheaper up near there and you could even find a place on a lake such a pushaw lake.

In bangor there is a bit of a drug problem, Not to say its a bad place at all...but there may be work for you there. ALso a university at UMaine in Orono right near bangor. The University of Maine - School of Nursing

They are pretty good in my opinion about clearing roads the cities are prepared for it and keep them well cleared comparatively to other area. my sis used to commute abotut 30 minutes on I 95 to emmc for years, my cousins who live up there commute even further year round. I've nevere heard them complain about the roads.
Pipes freeze only if your not heating your house or have a air leak some place. Or some people who have converted Camps (what mainers call summer cabins) may not have insulated well and you might get a frozen pipe. But in most cases its not a big problem, most places are well bult and well insulated.

That being said you can find what your looking for in Gorham and windham standish and cumberland.I think you'll get a better feeling when you visit. Feel free to Direct Message me if you have any other questions. Or if this post goes off the rails like it sometimes does.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:37 AM

Another question I have about the Portland and surrounding areas is the temp and environment. Our two choices at wanting to live in the surrounding areas is either next to the ocean with lots of trees, or inland close to a body of water. Does the temp and weather change too much from either type of setting?

What neighborhoods have a great history of education? Cumberland county and surrounding areas are what we are shooting for.

Scarborough keeps popping up in many of the house searches. Any feedback on Scarborough?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:06 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
Default Visit

I think you need to visit Maine first. That's a lot of planning, researching, ect....for a place you never been to.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I think you need to visit Maine first. That's a lot of planning, researching, ect....for a place you never been to.
Just to inform you I will be visiting and scouting for locations in due time. Step one though is to gather data that will be useful in making decisions on locations. So far we are hoping for the Portland and surrounding area of at least 20 - 30 mile radius.

If Portland or the surrounding area is not producing what we are seeking then Bangor would be our second choice. But upon exploring mainehomeconnection.com and other realtor websites we have found really good houses there. Economically finding a job for my wife as an RN is not much of a worry. Upon reading your former post about your wife RN with half a pay cut well the average range for salary in the Maine is similar to what my wife makes so we don't sweat it.

My only problem so far is the government is very slow at responding to getting my certification approved. The Maine.gov website for CADC (certified adult drug counselor) keeps saying pending for the past 3 weeks. I technically don't have to be a substance abuse counselor but it fits my education. I could even be a psych tech at a hospital too.

I appreciate all feedback and comments that are helpful to my family's decision.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:36 PM

Scarborough is close to portland, so you'll have access to brewerys and work. There are some nice parts of scarborough ranging from wooded, cul-d-sac--ish,The Walmart/ Mall area to the marshes to the beaches, its kind of a bit of everything. Higgins beach is super nice in the off season, the marshes can be super buggy and smelly spring & early summer. All I can say is each surrounding area has its own feel, you can get a sence for it using google earth both aerial and street But you'll get a better feel for when you visit.
When I made my house hunting visit, I choose to rent for the 1st year, I had 15 places all lined up to visit in 3 days....It became apparent pretty quickly the areas I prefered and felt comfortable in. After the year of renting, my initial impressions where pretty right on.

What your doing is good, its good to narrow down your search so you visit can be best focused. For example, from afar, I thought I was interested in living downtown, close to work...upon visiting I realized that ment street parking, with no designate space and moving the car for plowing. Funny how I ended up focusing on houses with short driveways and a garage.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Gorham was one of the choices at first. One question is how much are utilities usually? For example for a 1500 sq foot home here in Phoenix AZ air conditioning in summer goes up to $200 - 300. For winter in parts of Portland or Gorham what is the cost for electricity? Also is water, trash, sewer expensive? Thanks
I didn't see where any one answered this question for you. so what you pay for summer elect in AZ you'll pay here in winter for heat and possibly a bit more. There are lots of threads on heating on this board, but Most heat is Oil and its getting more and more expensive, so people suppliment with wood/pellet or even electric. Actually oil is starting to catch up with electric in my option. If your lucky you'll find natural gas.
Places here don't have central heat & air like yoru used to....It window Units for the few weeks you need it and open windows & fresh air the others. You may hear big numbers for heating, but just remember that all depends on the type and if you average it out over the year its about what you spend on central heat & air in AZ, if your house will be oil then as I said maybe just a bit more.

Portland has central maine power, Bangor has bangor hydro. water and sewer vary by town, sewer can be a bit expensive in some towns. Some town have garbage pickup and some you take it to the dump your self...sounds worse than it is...I oddly like going to the dump/recycle center.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:08 PM

What are your reviews of Standish ME? My wife and me won't mind driving into Portland or nearby areas for work. According to Google it's only 30 min about. Is that accurate on driving in from Standing to Portland? Looking at the real estate websites, very nice places in Standish it appears.

Would you recommend raising a family in Standish?

Old 10-02-2013, 04:19 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
Quote:
Just to inform you I will be visiting and scouting for locations in due time. Step one though is to gather data that will be useful in making decisions on locations. So far we are hoping for the Portland and surrounding area of at least 20 - 30 mile radius.

If Portland or the surrounding area is not producing what we are seeking then Bangor would be our second choice. But upon exploring mainehomeconnection.com and other realtor websites we have found really good houses there. Economically finding a job for my wife as an RN is not much of a worry. Upon reading your former post about your wife RN with half a pay cut well the average range for salary in the Maine is similar to what my wife makes so we don't sweat it.

My only problem so far is the government is very slow at responding to getting my certification approved. The Maine.gov website for CADC (certified adult drug counselor) keeps saying pending for the past 3 weeks. I technically don't have to be a substance abuse counselor but it fits my education. I could even be a psych tech at a hospital too.

I appreciate all feedback and comments that are helpful to my family's decision.
I wish you and your family the best! Keep us posted on the process. I plan on making a vaca trip to Boothbay Harbor in 3 weeks. I love it there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine