Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 05:30 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times

Advertisements

Hello. I will be visiting someone who owns a cabin in Maine for a few days. He says to bring a sleeping bag since he only has a one bedroom cabin. He will have a fireplace but no central heat.

My question is what type of bag do I need and what level bag should I buy ?

*I'd like to purchase something that I can also use in my apartment in NYC when I return. It gets rather chilly in my apartment.

I've looked at the differences between synthetic and down and since I will be inside there is no chance of my bag getting wet. However will a down 20 degree bag be too warm for my apartment in NYC ?

There are different bags for different temperatures but can you recommend something versatile for my needs ? I really appreciate the information.

Marmot seems like a good company....true/false ?

Will moving via "movers" with a down bag be an issue ? I might have to pack it up eventually for a cross country move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 06:18 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
You don't need a down bag for camp or an apartment. Buy yourself a cheap "camp" bag, most I think are 40 degree. That's all you need. If you want to be comfortable, buy a rectangular one. The mummy bags are designed to cut weight and increase warmth.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:04 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
I have owned several sleeping bags over the years. My best one until recently was an REI down bag. Two years ago I bought a military surplus ECWS bag. It is by far the best bag I ever had or ever saw. They cost up to $450 new. Very good used ones are available through surplus outfits. Here is one at a reasonable price:

US ECWS Modular Sleeping Bag *Used

I paid less for mine and it looks brand new with no visible wear. You get a heavy down bag, a lighter down bag and a quilted liner. All three go into a rugged stuff sack that is compressible. I have been toasty warm with one at ten below, the coldest I have used mine. I believe you would be warm at 40 below which the rated cold for testing. With just the quilted liner you should be comfortable down to 40 or 50 degrees. I believe the outer shell of the cold bag is Goretex.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have owned several sleeping bags over the years. My best one until recently was an REI down bag. Two years ago I bought a military surplus ECWS bag. It is by far the best bag I ever had or ever saw. They cost up to $450 new. Very good used ones are available through surplus outfits. Here is one at a reasonable price:

US ECWS Modular Sleeping Bag *Used

I paid less for mine and it looks brand new with no visible wear. You get a heavy down bag, a lighter down bag and a quilted liner. All three go into a rugged stuff sack that is compressible. I have been toasty warm with one at ten below, the coldest I have used mine. I believe you would be warm at 40 below which the rated cold for testing. With just the quilted liner you should be comfortable down to 40 or 50 degrees. I believe the outer shell of the cold bag is Goretex.
Nice ! I was looking at one of those systems online. I like tactical gear very much.

I REALLY like the 4 bag idea. This will allow me to use the bag in several different climate situations....correct ? How would you compare it in performance to one of Marmot's higher end bags ?

I am also seeing reviews for a new 5 piece system but users say the 3 piece is warmer. Maybe that wouldn't matter to me since I will use it indoors ?

Can I wash in in a front loading washing machine ?

Thank You for all the responses.

Last edited by CNYC; 09-28-2013 at 09:40 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 06:34 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
You skipped over bangorme's suggestion without comment. Pay attention to what he's saying. If you want an expensive bag that's going to be too hot for a heated building, buy one. If you want something that suits the needs you described, listen to bangorme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
You don't need a down bag for camp or an apartment. Buy yourself a cheap "camp" bag, most I think are 40 degree. That's all you need. If you want to be comfortable, buy a rectangular one. The mummy bags are designed to cut weight and increase warmth.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You skipped over bangorme's suggestion without comment. Pay attention to what he's saying. If you want an expensive bag that's going to be too hot for a heated building, buy one. If you want something that suits the needs you described, listen to bangorme.
I didn't mean to disregard bangorme's suggestion. I was just more excited about the tactical gear I appreciate ALL the advice that I can get.

LL Bean has a few camp bags on their website but they don't seem warmer than the wool blankets already on my bed. I would assume wool would be warmer ?

Sometimes in NYC my heating system doesn't work well (old pre war building) in the dead of winter. The portable forced fan heaters these days are horrible (made in china) and put out very little warm air. This happens when temps might be 20 - 30 degrees *outside. My apartment can get quite drafty.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:50 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Find out the temperature of the room you are going to be sleeping in. Then buy a bag for that purpose. If you're never again planning to sleep outside under the stars at 10 below, forget about that option.

You don't need a $450 bag to sleep in a room that gets down to 35F.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:07 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
LL Bean has a few camp bags on their website but they don't seem warmer than the wool blankets already on my bed. I would assume wool would be warmer ?
Wool is warm but so is down. And then there's ThermaTek. It's light weight and very warm. I looked at Bean online for the bags we have but they don't carry them anymore. Mine is rated to 40* and I'm warm even when it's 30-35*. If you can swing both, that's what I'd do, getting the sleeping bag first so you have it for the cabin. If you can do one, go with the bag so you have something for apartment and cabin. Both are good investments.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post

... LL Bean has a few camp bags on their website but they don't seem warmer than the wool blankets already on my bed. I would assume wool would be warmer ?

Sometimes in NYC my heating system doesn't work well (old pre war building) in the dead of winter. The portable forced fan heaters these days are horrible (made in china) and put out very little warm air. This happens when temps might be 20 - 30 degrees *outside. My apartment can get quite drafty.
So, what is the temperature inside your apartment? I doubt very much it gets to 40 degrees. If you get cold, throw that wool blanket over the bag and/or put on a hat. Have you seen those old movies where people wore sleeping caps to bed? That's because their houses didn't have central heat and the bedrooms got VERY cold. I grew up in a home like that when I was very young. Anyway, with a cheap camp bag, that wool blanket, and a stocking cap, you'll be toasty. I'm not sure about camp bags, but most bags have a top and a bottom. There is more insulation on the top of the bag, so make sure it is on the top.

At the camp, are you going to be sleeping on the floor? If so, do yourself a favor and pick up a cheap pad. Floors are hard and sleeping bags provide very little padding.

Oh yeah, you asked about wool. Modern sleeping bags are better than wool in insulation value. The good thing about wool is that it has insulation value even when wet (which I don't see as a factor in your case). The synthetic filling in most sleeping bags has the same capability. Down doesn't.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:48 PM

Thank You so much for your responses. I have all the information that I need.

Very Kind of you......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine