Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times

Advertisements

You mention Binghamton. Go from there to Albany by the Interstate. Go up the Northway to the Glens Falls area. Head east to Bennington, VT. Continue east to Keene, NH. From there take Route 101 east to Portsmouth, NH. There you pick up I-95 and head north into Maine. That's the way I recommend from PA and yes, I have done it.

You don't mention your final destination. We can give you good directions from the Green Bridge. Others may warn of dire consequences of crossing Vermont, but your handle indicates that you may have experience in ski areas. People live in, work in and cross Vermont daily, year round. All journeys across Vermont involve hills. Vermont knows what to do with snow. The trip from Bennington to Brattleboro is beautiful. Take it slowly and enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 05:51 AM

74 posts, read 147,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Others may warn of dire consequences of crossing Vermont, but your handle indicates that you may have experience in ski areas. People live in, work in and cross Vermont daily, year round. All journeys across Vermont involve hills. Vermont knows what to do with snow. The trip from Bennington to Brattleboro is beautiful. Take it slowly and enjoy it.
Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for! With my luck, I'll be in a standstill on I-81 in a freak November blizzard, and it'll be sunny and clear in Connecticut, but after years of driving I-84 back and forth to military in Rhode Island, I am now officially gun-shy of driving through the country's richest state. I wonder if there's a website that tracks the frequency of standstills on the various interstates.

As of yesterday, my destination will be northern Aroostook County. I was going to put "The Crown or Bust" as my signature, but that somehow sounds like I want to steal Prince Charles away from his better half.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:13 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
Are YOU planning the route that your movers should take? Sounds to me like they are not experienced in long distance moving. Perhaps you should consider a different company.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:12 AM

393 posts, read 981,950 times
We commute regularly by car between Maryland and ME (not fun!), and I get your concerns about traffic and weather. But I think you're overly concerned. Yes, there are occasionally major snowstorms, but you generally have notice a few days in advance when that will occur. Because you're dealing with major highways, they are usually cleaned up pretty quickly. Also, we tend to leave at night and drive through the night - - we avoid traffic most of the time that way (just make sure you have a nap the day before the trip and stop to rest if needed along the way). We tend to go 10 miles out of the way and take the Tappan Zee Bridge instead of the GW Bridge, usually less headaches, and we sometimes take the Hutchinson Pkwy. But basically once you get to Hartford on the 84, we go via Worcester (I 90 to the 290) towards Lowell (495) to NH-ME (95). We avoid Boston traffic entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine