Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 PM

32 posts, read 49,167 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all who offered such great and encouraging info about the County and great GPS advice today/tonight. The more you guys write, the more I am loving the sound of it there! Tell me more, tell me more:-) Can't wait to check out Sleepers and will check on the Budget Traveler as well, thanks for the tip! We are loving that there is very little blight there, and how great is it that the farmers pitch in to help with the blowing snow problem! Those attitudes are so very refreshing compared to where we are coming from. In our area there is not much pride of ownership and the prevalent attitude often seems to be every man for himself, after a while both attitudes grow rather depressing to be around. I have found a old farm in Connor for sale on that we like the sound of. We will at least ride by to check out it out once we are in the area. It sounds very much what we have in mind with the old house/barn, land and beautiful pics of area views.

Was great news to hear some of that area is laid out on a grid- even I with my awful sense of direction might be able to find my way around up there! Thanks again all for being so generous with your time- so much more I want to say/ask, but after a long day of driving, typing this on my iPhone is getting rather frustrating/tedious! Good night.

Last edited by Star in Hand; 11-05-2013 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Change duplicate word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 04:51 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Just a thought - but you may want to have a recent good paper road map on hand as well as your GPS. We have a Tom Tom Gps and it has gotten me lost and off the beaten path so many times. One time it directed us to some way back country roads and took us a half our longer than if we had used a paper map. This was just to travel from Bangor down through Union and Friendship. lol but we did get to see an area that we never would have otherwise. Now I just make sure I have a good paper roadmap.

Would love to hear more about how your trip went.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:03 PM

32 posts, read 49,167 times
Smile Follow Up On Trip To Maine From Oklahoma

Hi All,

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the great advice and kind offers of help from all you great people of City Data from the state of Maine! After an extended trip travelling back across the county visiting friends and family for the holidays, we are finally back HOME! Our trip to Maine was a success, we enjoyed seeing the sights and doing research about a possible relocation. We are still unsure if we will be relocating back east, or staying out west. Perhaps we have both lived on the 'wide open prairie' too long, but we both felt a little closed in with all the trees, and I have always been the one who lamented, "I want to see trees!" Go Figure! We plan to do some more research on other areas we have an interest in before making a decision, hopefully we will have made our mind up before our house sells. Just wanted to leave a follow up of our trip and say thanks again!

Old 01-27-2014, 11:26 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Star In Hand - Thanks for getting back to us about your trip and glad you are safely home. I know exactly what you mean about the "closed in" feeling. I have lived in Maine for decades but when we spent some time over in Nova Scotia, I got that closed in feeling as soon as we got off the boat in Bar Harbor. But it went away quickly as this is home for me. I hope you got to spend some time near the ocean when you were in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine