Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 05:33 PM

151 posts, read 199,094 times

Advertisements

Coming to Maine, lurking around Augusta and over to the ocean for a bit then want to go to Montreal, what is the best route to get there from around the Augusta area??? plan to spend a few days in Montreal and return to the Augusta area and hang around to finish off our holidays, then back to Canadaland
Any help with the route to Montreal will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 07:54 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,126,531 times
I LIVE ON MDI. I take 9, then 3, then 1. It takes me through scenic Belfast, and Buckesport, and past the Big Chicken Barn on the way to Ellsworth. You must stop at the Chicken Barn.

But Montreal is way way west of Augusta. Where on the coast do you want to go?

Old 11-24-2013, 05:14 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,063 times
Not sure what road to take to Montreal but kinda wondering what it is you find fascinating in Augusta? We live just over an hour from Augusta and so far the only thing we have done there is stay and eat at the Senator and visit the Maine State Museum right near the State House.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:45 AM

Default Augusta

Just found Augusta a very nice place to visit, museum, toured the capitol, did a bit of shopping, met some very nice people, loved the restoration of the heritage buildings downtown, had the best steak since I left Calgary, we just centre ourselves in Augusta and drive around and see things, isn't that what tourists do? we have been to other areas in Maine and do enjoy our trips, my wife thought while we are in Maine why not go to Montreal and visit our friends as it is considerably closer to go to Montreal from Maine than from Nova Scotia ( a lot closer) and why not combine two enjoyable locations at once, and we are coming back to Maine on our way back. Maybe I will get the AMA to plan my trip seeing that I am a member, but will include the chicken barn.
thanks.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:10 PM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Typical fast route to MDI from Augusta is 95 to 395 bypass Bangor ... about an hour/ 70 miles, then 395 dumps you on 1A to Ellworth about half and hour and MDI anothet half hour.

Rt 9/3 is a nice route if you have time and want to catch some scenery. Think you come out on the coast in Belfast.

You'd have to back track about 5? hrs to rt 91 in Vt to get to Montreal via very slow and twisty and very scenic rt 2 thru ME and NH.

Or any other route someone suggests. It will surely get you there.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:14 PM

What is MDI??? I think I would want to go in a westerly direction from Augusta or Bangor, we plan to visit the coast then go back to Augusta then head to Montreal, the coast is a seperate trip, must get out my maps, wasn't there supposed to be a new highway going from east to west through the middle of Maine??, it's been a while since we visited Maine.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:26 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,393,373 times
Try mapquest.com--it's a good site for directions and approximate driving times.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:40 PM

321 posts, read 486,477 times
An east/west highway is being discussed, but if it ever happens, it will be many, many years in the making.

As others have said, the quickest route to MDI (Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, etc.) is through Bangor. But you don't necessarily need to go that far to get to the coast. Belfast via Route 3 might be an option. Rockland via Route 1 or the Camden/Rockport areas are also nice. It all depends what you are looking for.

As for Montreal, I suspect Google Maps/Mapquest will put you on to Route 2 into New Hampshire. Another option, which probably wouldn't take that much longer and might be more remote and scenic, is to take Routes 16/27 by Sugarloaf, Bigelow Preserve, etc. If you are in the Bangor-ish area when you decide to head west, this might be the shortest option.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodels View Post
An east/west highway is being discussed, but if it ever happens, it will be many, many years in the making.

As others have said, the quickest route to MDI (Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, etc.) is through Bangor. But you don't necessarily need to go that far to get to the coast. Belfast via Route 3 might be an option. Rockland via Route 1 or the Camden/Rockport areas are also nice. It all depends what you are looking for.

As for Montreal, I suspect Google Maps/Mapquest will put you on to Route 2 into New Hampshire. Another option, which probably wouldn't take that much longer and might be more remote and scenic, is to take Routes 16/27 by Sugarloaf, Bigelow Preserve, etc. If you are in the Bangor-ish area when you decide to head west, this might be the shortest option.
Can't fgure out why people have me going to MDI (still don't know what that means) My basic question is which is the best route to take from Bangor to Montreal going by Plattsburg, (do not want to go through Quebec route). MDI is still a mystery. can anyone explain?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:54 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,126,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodels View Post

Actually its about the same. One your drive really fast and go a longer distance, the other one you drive slower but go a shorter distance. I-95 is about 2 hr 15 minutes from Augusta. 9, 3, and 1 is 2 hours and 24 minutes. And you get to stop at the Chicken Barn too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine