U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 04:36 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,617,248 times

Advertisements

We attended yesterday (Sat.) and it was quite an event. I couldn't believe how crowed it was. We had been last year and it was pleasant to walk around and view the vendors, however this year it was almost impossible to see much of it because of the crowds. Some even were trying to push those jogging strollers around making it even more hard to see anything. One person even had a double wide jogging stroller. I did manage to view a few vendors I liked and get information and buy a few things. There certainly wasn't anywhere near sufficient places to sit and take a break if one need to get off their feet. I think I counted about 4 benches out in the hallway area. When we arrived a bit after 12 we had to park quite a distance away for a walk of probably half a mile. It was ok by me as I need the exercise but if it had been raining and windy it would be a different matter.

I was especially glad to get information from "Siberia" a dairy in Hermon that has organic milk and even provides delivery if you want. Lots of choices there. And also a place in New Sharon that has a great selection of fresh turkey and turkey products. It wasn't just food being precented. Lots of hand made hats, mittens, gloves etc. Also there is a wine and beer tasting area but that is another $6 so we skipped it. The festival continues today, so if you aren't put off by huge crowds give it a go. Admission is $6

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 04:24 PM

6,054 posts, read 11,438,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
We attended yesterday (Sat.) and it was quite an event. I couldn't believe how crowed it was. We had been last year and it was pleasant to walk around and view the vendors, however this year it was almost impossible to see much of it because of the crowds. Some even were trying to push those jogging strollers around making it even more hard to see anything. One person even had a double wide jogging stroller. I did manage to view a few vendors I liked and get information and buy a few things. There certainly wasn't anywhere near sufficient places to sit and take a break if one need to get off their feet. I think I counted about 4 benches out in the hallway area. When we arrived a bit after 12 we had to park quite a distance away for a walk of probably half a mile. It was ok by me as I need the exercise but if it had been raining and windy it would be a different matter.
The hall at the far side of the room was open, full of chairs, and much cooler. It was quite warm in there today. The stroller situation was the same today. Lots of jogging strollers and two doubles. People tripped over a jogging stroller. I was grateful to the folks who carried the kids.

Quote:
I was especially glad to get information from "Siberia" a dairy in Hermon that has organic milk and even provides delivery if you want.
My parents have home delivery from Siberia. I'm ordering canoli to be delivered to my parents' house, and they'll bring it with them on Thanksgiving. They don't fill the canoli so it won't be soggy. My parents have been buying from Siberia for six or eight months and have always been pleased.

Quote:
Lots of choices there. And also a place in New Sharon that has a great selection of fresh turkey and turkey products.

I had them process a big batch of chickens once. They're very humane.

Quote:
It wasn't just food being precented. Lots of hand made hats, mittens, gloves etc. Also there is a wine and beer tasting area but that is another $6 so we skipped it. The festival continues today, so if you aren't put off by huge crowds give it a go. Admission is $6

Judi Perkins has done a fantastic job with this event. I don't like crowds but everyone was so pleasant, the food so good, and there was so much to see that I really didn't mind. Sometimes we were at a standstill but we got moving again after a moment. I filled the bag from St. Joe's. The pulled pork by Fia Fortune was the best I've tasted. Great way to spend the day!

Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 PM

30,704 posts, read 49,503,410 times
It was packed.

I heard maybe a dozen vendors complaining that the aisles were setup too narrow. [I knew a bunch of the vendors].

Lots of food. We were kind of surprised at how many repeats there were.

They have done a very good job with landscaping. Form is certainly over function. Park in the far back parking lot, walk through it, then walk through the rear parking lot, then circle the building to find an open door. I am glad that it was such a pleasant day for a stroll.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:58 AM

885 posts, read 1,239,410 times
I didn't see or hear it advertised!

Old 11-18-2013, 11:45 AM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,881,885 times
I was somewhat disappointed in it. The displays I enjoyed from past ones, weren't there - St Joe's chef converting recipes to make them healthier, and Hannaford's display of what products they sell that are Maine Produced.

I'm not a big crowd person, and there was no way to get away from the crowds to stop and shop/sample/talk with the vendors. Then seeing there was more space that was filled with stacked chairs, was disheartening - move the chairs and open up the space to make it more enjoyable for everyone. I was also surprised that you couldn't enter the building from the upper parking lots - there were a lot of handicap parking spots up there to have them walk down the hill and around the building. I'm sure they will correct this for next years event.

On the up side, lots of new vendors - very exciting. Lots and Lots of people - also very exciting. I made a connection for Farm to School, and with the food bank to get food we would throw away at work into peoples hands that can use it.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:10 PM

5,678 posts, read 6,784,141 times
I missed it? Damn. I wanted to sell some honey...but they would have probably wanted some kind of 'license' that I don't have. I'll have to look into it for next year. I think I'm trying to do too many things all at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine