U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2010, 02:53 PM

21,790 posts, read 28,218,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revi View Post
Maine has the oldest housing stock in the country. I think a lot of it is unheatable. We need to insulate a lot of places, and abandon others.

With oil around $3 a gallon we will have trouble this winter.

'unheatable'?

Nearly every structure could use more insulation, but to be unheatable, is hard to imagine.

I feel so bad for barns I see that are leaning, getting ready to collapse with snow load.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 07:01 PM

20 posts, read 19,295 times
Maine writer, no I didnt see something preventing anything (laughing) it just didnt look like anyone thought enough of my idea to post a reply but ahhhhhhhh here they come! The replies........real happy to see them!

Old 10-18-2010, 08:01 PM

Default preserving old old houses

I started out a bit embarased sure I would be "lamb basted" to hell for such a ridiculous idea, "no mortgage no taxes" and when at 1st noone was responding.Uh oh!

But tonight Monday there is no describing the happiness you folks have brought me! In particular to the composer of "great thread" OH WOW thank you!!! every best wish to you your auto work.

I do have to share this as per "slapped together modern houses" I "wound up" in a one bedroom apartment condominium it is the largest development in New jersey....that is not a brag but an acknowldgement. ironically the entire area of "central NJ" was settled before the revolutionary war. It was thus made up of mostly F A R M S!!! Would anyone like to guess what the fate is of MOST of the farm HOUSES from then??? demolished either standing or not for these "modern" dwellings! The mansion out here where the treaty was signed by (ohhhh what president????) to end world war I is now a burger king!!!

Well this little condo/apartment was indeed slapped together: the particle board kitchen is so crumbled after I dont think 30 years. As I type this I am 54 years old been in here 21 years. WELL Honey and I w ere driving some years ago to a HUGE park. At one point there were pastuers on each side of the road leading to the park, well there is still a farm stand on one side so perhaps the HUGE field across the road was part of that farm???? only a small portion of the farm stand remains on one side, across the road is another HUGE housing development where the pasteur WAS, the head stones of the cemetery dating back to the 1600s vanished too! WELL ON THIS DAY while we are driving through all this "moderness" I noticed that the remaining tract of woods was being torn down REVEALING yet another huge O L D definetly abandoned farm H O U S E and barn behind it. I felt that hurt coming! Days later A L L G O N E!!! Now damit if that house stood for how many centuries why not leave it alone let those buildings stand??!! Why tear them down for new modern JUNK!!! The developers wrote them off as ohhh it'll cost too much tear them down build new!!! Both my parents w up with very elderly relatives WHO SURVIVED the depression, what I'm blessed to know! Bless all of you!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:59 PM

2,990 posts, read 3,406,552 times
Quote:
I started out a bit embarrassed sure I would be "lamb basted" to hell for such a ridiculous idea...
Lambasted? No, I think a lot of us here like the older, simpler ways, and appreciate good craftsmanship. We like to do for ourselves as much as we can.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:01 AM

10,987 posts, read 10,943,487 times
I found this interesting, the oldest (recorded) house in maine was bought to be restored by daryl hall (of hall and oates) in kittery point - 1662 colonial

Maine's Oldest Dwelling Sold | All Things Maine

here is an interesting link to historic house museums of maine- most have tours!!

http://www.vpa.org/museumsme.html

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 10-19-2010 at 04:13 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 05:24 AM

2,922 posts, read 3,168,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianradomski View Post
I started out a bit embarased sure I would be "lamb basted" to hell for such a ridiculous idea, "no mortgage no taxes" and when at 1st noone was responding.Uh oh!

But tonight Monday there is no describing the happiness you folks have brought me! In particular to the composer of "great thread" OH WOW thank you!!! every best wish to you your auto work.

I do have to share this as per "slapped together modern houses" I "wound up" in a one bedroom apartment condominium it is the largest development in New jersey....that is not a brag but an acknowldgement. ironically the entire area of "central NJ" was settled before the revolutionary war. It was thus made up of mostly F A R M S!!! Would anyone like to guess what the fate is of MOST of the farm HOUSES from then??? demolished either standing or not for these "modern" dwellings! The mansion out here where the treaty was signed by (ohhhh what president????) to end world war I is now a burger king!!!

Well this little condo/apartment was indeed slapped together: the particle board kitchen is so crumbled after I dont think 30 years. As I type this I am 54 years old been in here 21 years. WELL Honey and I w ere driving some years ago to a HUGE park. At one point there were pastuers on each side of the road leading to the park, well there is still a farm stand on one side so perhaps the HUGE field across the road was part of that farm???? only a small portion of the farm stand remains on one side, across the road is another HUGE housing development where the pasteur WAS, the head stones of the cemetery dating back to the 1600s vanished too! WELL ON THIS DAY while we are driving through all this "moderness" I noticed that the remaining tract of woods was being torn down REVEALING yet another huge O L D definetly abandoned farm H O U S E and barn behind it. I felt that hurt coming! Days later A L L G O N E!!! Now damit if that house stood for how many centuries why not leave it alone let those buildings stand??!! Why tear them down for new modern JUNK!!! The developers wrote them off as ohhh it'll cost too much tear them down build new!!! Both my parents w up with very elderly relatives WHO SURVIVED the depression, what I'm blessed to know! Bless all of you!
I was stationed in NJ (McGuire AFB to be exact) for over 9 years. We traveled up Rt 68 a lot. It was all farm with a small auto auction yard in Bordentown. I went back a few years after I retired from there to see some friends and all those farms ar now condos and subdivisions. hat a shock and what a waste. You used to be able to see the high school my daughter attended way back when and now you have to strain between the cookie cutter, slapped together houses. I didn't want to drive down Rt 537 because I knew the horse farms along there would be gone. Maybe they aren't but in my head.... But with a growing population and (so far) plenty of food to go around, what can you do?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:14 AM

34,063 posts, read 11,244,198 times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ8-9...eature=related

This link is to a you tube version of This Ol' House...with photographs of old dilapidated abandoned and forlorn structures......that once were ..."Home Sweet Home" so someone.... holding the memories, the flourishes and the fancies of their lives. These old walls provided shelter for the family, here was the bedstead.and mattress that took on the shape of the loved ones who lay down here.....these old floors creaked when an anxious parent walked in the middle of the night trying to sooth a fussing child. These old houses were once homes, with walls "keeping want and trouble out".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nstn4Wscl1w&feature=related

Last edited by elston; 10-19-2010 at 07:45 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 09:51 PM

Default preserving old old houses

DOHHHHHH ouch I made another typo! I typed about the tract of woods being torn down revealing another ancient old farm. AT THE END I bet I was nodding off at the keyboard! I see that I typed "my parents, then elderly relatives and the depression". WHAT I WANTED TO TYPE is that both my parents were last and next to last born SO all the relatives my brother sister and i grew up with were elderly when we were growing up SO we heard plenty of talk about the terrors of the historic (great????) depression.YES completely agreed: the old ancient houses did have wonderful beautiful decorative wood working and architecture painstaking effort, to say the least they took simple pride in their homes to go to that trouble. Thats another reason why I feel hurt sadness when one of these houses is lost, torn down: I consider it a perfect example of waste! All the resources that went into an ancient house and too few place a value on them! Not only did the relatives retell about the historic depression, I have lived/survived sufferd through how many recessions now on my own....ohhh do I know value/appreciation........I sure never sufferd as bad as those from the historic depression but times have always been rough and a struggle! I had a consultation with the "head of the leasing department" of the corporation I work for. an amazingly personable young guy for his early 30s (and a daddy) He slightly laughed at my thought of a municipality "somehow excusing" any back taxes on an ancient house But he liked my argument that "if Lee Iaccoca got the governement to lend Chrysler the money for a new start then, well a municipality has to be taking some kind of loss on a condemned/abandonded estate...SO why CANT, I'd love to contact municipalities and challenge them "why they can't they flex the back taxes of an estate just to give it a chance. perhaps their thought is that since the cost of rehabilitating an ancient house is so staggering that only someone R I C H could afford to purchase it THUS they can also afford to pay the taxes on the house??!! Municipalities "must think" that if someone is rich enough to afford the rehab of an ancient house then they can also afford the back taxes on it!

Old 10-20-2010, 05:18 AM

2,922 posts, read 3,168,285 times
Unfortunately brianradomski, taxes in the State of Maine are driven by the legislature; not the municipalities. Towns cannot delay taxes or make their own exemptions. It is not a feasible question or request. It would be nice if we could defer taxes when refurbing a house but it's not possible. My ex used to get upset over wondering why only women got pregnant. "If men had to go through this crap...." Well, you finish the rest. Sorry, bub. Ain't gonna happen outside the Legislature. Article 9 of the State Constitution.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:09 AM

2,990 posts, read 3,406,552 times
I think that the issue of back taxes is not so great if the property has been taken. Taking the property settles the issue. When the powers that be approve the sale to the new owner, taxes are due going forward but the back taxes for which the property was taken are not a liability for the new owner. The tax due from the new owner would be based on the currently assessed value, which (if the property was in really bad shape) would be not so much. When the property was rehabed the value would be reassessed to a new value and the tax increased.

The back taxes would be a liability if the property had been abandoned but not taken, and a new owner wanted to take over the property by "right of adverse possession". In that case, the new owner *would* have to settle the back taxes (and any other liens).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine