U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 06:41 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
One thing I don't Understand.. "I lost $1200 in meat in the freezer"

Why not just put it all outside? From what I saw last month the temp in Maine Was almost never over 30f for the last 30 days or so,
Our outdoor chest freezer does fine un-plugged most of the winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 01:13 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,733,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Oh it will. In fact one half that size might depending what you have for other energy sources.

Generac has a nice calculator on their website for determining the size jenny you may need. I am evenly split between propane and electric for my appliances so my kw requirement was only 9-12 KW. Electric hot water, electric range, well pump, etc will all add more kw's to the requirement, but their site does that easily for you.

Generac Power Systems - Generator Sizer

I've been looking myself at buying a standby generator as I just lost about $1200 in meat in my freezer, so at that price it does not take long to recoup the cost of installing a stand by jenny. One concern that I have is that I work away from home 13 hours per day and cannot expect my wife to handle hooking everything up. While this may be a small issue for some, for me the automatic nature of a standby is a huge reason to get one so that is my reasoning for going this route.

One more note that others may want to consider. While a 11 kw Jenny at Tractor supply runs about $3000 with 50 amp 16 circuit transfer switch, a 14kw unit costs $350 more and comes with a 100 amp whole house transfer switch. I know a few hundred bucks is a lot of money, but for $350 you get plenty of power more than making the 14 kw unit a better deal.

The first place I went to, the guy made such a big deal out of me writing down vey single electrical thing I had. He said it was so necessary to get the exact size when looking for automatic generator.

The second place( where I bought ) laughed when I told him that.
He stated the price difference between a 20K and smaller automatic generators was so small he said why bother.

The labor and hook up parts would be the same regardless if I got a smaller one or my 20k

Old 01-05-2014, 04:58 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,127,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
One thing I don't Understand.. "I lost $1200 in meat in the freezer"

Why not just put it all outside? From what I saw last month the temp in Maine Was almost never over 30f for the last 30 days or so,
If we knew exactly when the power was going to come back on, we probably would have moved it out sooner. Here we lose power a lot, but it is often repowered within a few hours so we did not bother with moving it the first day. By the next day we noticed that the meat was getting soft so we moved it outside and thought it was alright, but when we cooked it up, we could tell that it wasn't.

Entirely our fault for sure, but I will say, that first day we were busy getting everything situated.

We did fair pretty well with our refrigerated stuff. By putting that in our unheated mudroom, we could control the temp by keeping our kitchen door opened or closed. Closed during the day to keep the temp just above freezing, but open at night to let our woodstove help heat the uninsulated room. It worked really well and we did not lose much stuff.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:03 PM

The biggest issue we had early on was water. With 4 daughters, one being an infant, we went through lots of water. That was an issue because it takes a lot of snow to melt down to get a gallon of water. Then I realized my late grandmother had a hand dug well across the road from us. I managed to knock off the cover to it despite the ice and snow and 10 feet below me was all the sparkling, clean water I could ever want. A bucket on a rope brought up pails of it making life bearable.

It was dug by my forefathers over 200 years ago and yet despite being dormant for 60 years, finally was put back into use. That was a blessing for sure!

Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
The first place I went to, the guy made such a big deal out of me writing down vey single electrical thing I had. He said it was so necessary to get the exact size when looking for automatic generator.

The second place( where I bought ) laughed when I told him that.
He stated the price difference between a 20K and smaller automatic generators was so small he said why bother.

The labor and hook up parts would be the same regardless if I got a smaller one or my 20k
Sorry you took me the wrong way as I was not implying you did anything silly...on the contrary, you got plenty of power. Good for you! And you are right, the price difference is really small between the units. As I mentioned in my first post, it is only $350 more for a 14KW unit over that of a 11KW unit, which is not much money for considerably more power. 20 KW...even better!

You are right on the installation too, though I never gave that a thought. I'll end up installing my own only because we deal with generators a lot on the farm. In fact I was originally going to just use a pto generator and make power with an old engine on a stand, but when I saw how reasonable stand-by generators were right out of the store, I figured that was the better way to go.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:05 AM

80 posts, read 109,816 times
Big mistake that some may avoid if they are aware of it....

The bigger the generator the more fuel it uses. Dont oversize unless you have to.

You are better off cutting electricity use back to basic than planning for worst case everything on power consumption. Its easy to cut back...hand wash dishes and clothes, air dry your hair, etc.
Its a fact that most home use very little wattage under normal use. if you are careful while on a generator even less. Always buy big enough to run you well if you have one including 220v if needed.

Fuel can be costly and even moreso...a pain in the neck to store, go get refills, and watching and filling the tank....unless your on NG or a very large LP tank.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 AM

261 posts, read 377,817 times
[quote=Bungalow Bill;32795634]So being from west Texas I don't have a lot of experience with large generators. After the past ice storm and being without power for a few days I've decided to take the plunge and buy a backup generator.

*** DO NOT go cheap. You will end up paying big time in the end, and likely be Very Frustrated. And possibly without it or electricity - now won't that **** you off.

Honda's are a very good choice, albeit a bit expensive. Like others have said, you'll need to know what you must / need or want to be able to run from the generator, to help you decide which model or how big a generator to get. As long as it's in the budget, get bigger. Nothing will **** you off more, then having to turn something off, so you can run something else.

***Get it professional installed!

Buy from a local company that has been around for awhile. The last thing you want to do, is buy online, and then have it breakdown. You tell me, how much did that save you?

Buy local, have it installed by someone local, and sit back and enjoy living in Maine (if you can).

Skip

Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 AM

4,545 posts, read 8,427,369 times
Dont forget Lister generators. They can run forever with very little maintenance. They have electric start models if you dont want to turn the hand crank.
Link

Old 01-09-2014, 01:25 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,454,628 times
I have a 2000 watt Honda generator I use if the power is off for a short period of time (a day). Longer than a day I have a Yamaha 6500 watt generator with a 30 amp 220 volt outlet. I run my well pump, my furnace, my freezer, refrigerator, sump pump, and enough outlets and lights to be comfortable. Be sure to get a generator switch installed they help and are really the only way to safely use a generator to power your house circuits.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:18 PM

605 posts, read 625,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
You aren't running your whole house on that 2000 are you? That won't run your deep well pump or the electric hot water heater, if you had one. My neighbor just went through $550.00 of propane this last week. Course, the propane won't go bad in your tank...
That is the key. I got a big pig and while it has been "topped off" once or twice a year as the only thing I have gas is the genny when you need it it's there. Mine like most whole house models starts up once and a while runs for 5 or 10 min then shuts down to keep it ready. During the storm week power was only out for 3 days but she worked like a champ and I like my daily hot showers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine