U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:59 PM

497 posts, read 856,319 times
Default Maine "Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Sap's running in late March or early April. That's life. That's longer daylight and above freezing temps during the day. Some of our owls are already in their mating and nesting season by then. Buds start filling out on the trees in late April. Spring and winter birds pass as they migrate. Crocus and other spring flowers are breaking through the soil. They're hardy. They don't mind being snowed on. The spring, summer and fall seasons are full of life.

If someone isn't seeing life from December through February they aren't looking or they don't want to enjoy what they're overlooking. How do you miss the birds? The animals? I haven't seen any wildlife other than the six squirrels and a lot of birds eating me out of house and home today but I did follow small rodent (vole?) tracks from the woods past the greenhouse, around the compost bin, over the open field, around the snowmobile and then they disappeared. Whatever it is has either gone into the snowmobile or tunneled into the snow.

How does anyone miss kids like Bydand's? Out playing in the snow, making the best of winter and truly enjoying life? If we're overlooking the adults on their skis and snowshoes we are overlooking a wonderful part of life and living.
There's life in Maine every day of the year if you want to experience it.
This is beautiful Maine Writer--something to keep in mind for Maine winters. Nature doesn't die because it snows

Old 12-19-2007, 03:07 PM

21,336 posts, read 26,242,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I have to chuckle when I see so many thinking they will like life in Maine after living in a warm state that is heavily populated.. Perhaps you should visit "now" to get a feel for winter. We had 15 inches of snow about 2 weeks ago then a few smaller dustings of 2 to 4 inches. Then again on the16th another 9 inches that iced over in the night. Tomorrow we are expectin another 2 to 4. Most nights this week it has been between 0 and 9 above. Good to keep this in mind.
I moved here from away, this we be our third winter in Maine.

I had never visited Maine previous to making the decision to move here. Though I feel that we made the right decision.

So far from what we have seen, we have certainly lived in colder climates then this offers. Wetter climates too.

I rather like this climate, I only wish that the growing season were a tad longer though.

One summer we had been seeing unusually warm temperatures, I remember getting released from work a bit early, it was so hot. We are all in our uniforms riding a ferry back to shore, as soon as everyone was safely on shore shirts came flying off as we all went for our cars. It was so hot and we all wanted to be in t-shirts, but of course we had to stay in full uniforms until we were away from the ship. I got home and it was hot too. Due to the local culture no homes had any form of air conditioning or even fans to go in the windows. So we opened all of the doors and windows and hoped for a breeze. I recall as my family was clearing the table for dinner, the news on the Tele said that six people had died that day from the excessive heat, right in the streets of downtown Glasgow they were dying from the heat wave, it had gotten up to 60 degrees that day.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
"No matter where you go...There YOU are."

We can choose where we want to live and match our lifestyle and priorities to an area that supports and more closely approximates our personal choices. But if we move because we are looking for a cure for general malaise or discontent or because we don't like people we will probably discover that there isn't a geographic cure, and indeed, "no matter where you go...there you are."

Happy successful people tend to be happy successful where ever they find themselves and conversely, If you are miserable and unkind and hostile .... Maine or California or NYC or Paris France won't cure it, won't change it.

It pays to research oneself as well as the demographics of where you are thinking of going. I think I am moving for good reasons that are matched in external reality. It could be Maine or NH or Rhode Island ..... but for me at this time of my life...IT IS MAINE.
Well said!

Old 12-19-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Is this a joke? Augusta is NOT the home of the University of Maine. The Universty of Maine is located in Orono. There is a campus of The University of Maine SYSTEM in Augusta as this is in many other small towns.

Since you are writing from Northeast Connecticut, perhaps you should do a bit of research about Maine before offering any sort of opinion.
I am talking purely out of ignorance here; once a campus is established in a city, it changes the flavour of that community and makes a name for itself.

Doesn't each city with a campus in it, become a 'home' of that university?

I went to Fresno. One of many campuses of the UC system. UCLA is so totally different from UC Berkeley, US Fresno has it's own flavour and is entirely different from UC Turlock. They are each a 'home' of a UC.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:38 PM

2,052 posts, read 2,721,259 times
The University of Maine, Augusta is a commuter campus. I took a chem course there and almost blew by the place trying to find it.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 PM

497 posts, read 1,002,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
We had a nor'easter Sunday. Our roads were clear Monday morning and a lot of disappointed kids went to school.

Shouldn't common sense tell you not to bother washing your car when it's going to be covered in salt again 2 minutes after you get it cleaned? Wait a day or two, the road will dry and it won't be dirty so quickly.

I whole heartedly agree with this. It's not fun. I stalled going out this morning because it was -9. I dread the few weeks in January and February when it's brutal. Thankfully it doesn't last long.
We had the same Nor easter here in Portland and most of the roads are still snow covered. Now we are getting another storm. Oh yeah, the main roads are OK but the side streets where people live suck. It's like the last 2 years of next to no snow has made them forget how to plow. We are thinking of withholding rent because the place where we live still haven't plowed the driveway where I live to the point where both my dad and I get stuck pulling into our car port.

I don't have to pay to wash my car so I wash my car whenever I get a chance. I washed my car 3-4 days after the storm and the roads are still wet and snow covered in some areas. Like I said, in Maine you can wash your car every day in the winter and the car is just as dirty 10 minutes later after you drive.

As far as I am concerned, the weather is brutal from November until June. If I have to wear a jacket of some sort it's still winter as far as I am concerned. I have been out on 4th of July and had to wear a sweatshirt because it's been cold. We have about 2 weeks worth of good summer weather and that's about it.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:58 PM

263 posts, read 397,443 times
I had to mow my lawn today. Yes that is right mow the yard, 6 days before Christmas. I wish I had to wear a jacket and deal with snow removal because that would mean that I was not here.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:50 PM

33,708 posts, read 10,487,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arzachena View Post
I had to mow my lawn today. Yes that is right mow the yard, 6 days before Christmas. I wish I had to wear a jacket and deal with snow removal because that would mean that I was not here.
I had to prune hedges and mow yesterday too; we have been having some much needed rain, and even tho its been cool down to maybe 38 at night....the lawns are growing and the hillsides are starting to green up.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:49 AM

497 posts, read 1,002,324 times
I would love to see some green grass, leaves on trees, and flowers right about now. But that's still 6 months away.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:37 AM

10,154 posts, read 9,765,297 times
i love a white christmas!!!! i enjoy snowmobiling, so this is great weather!! and this has been great for all the areas in maine that thrive on skiing and snowmobiling,,,,this brings people to maine and helps the economy!!

last year in december, i went golfing with my son, a couple relatively warm weekends,,and then we played in april,,, so there was just 3 months,,,we couldnt play,,,this yr looks different!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine