Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 11:45 AM

454 posts, read 882,565 times

Advertisements

[Quoted from jpurvis] Thanks Bewitched., That is the area I am looking at.
With all the discussion about the different aspects of Maine, I would like to ask the following. First to let you know what my situation will basically be.

I am just your simple 40 something divorced female, looking to have a more simple, relaxing. STRESS FREE life for the rest of my days here on earth. The same being down here, I live from pay check to pay check, have very little savings, and will be renting for a while until I win the lottery. I do vote, but am not into politics, don't really get involved in things like that. I just enjoy living life, no hassle type thing, spending time with family and friends, doing things outdoor, love animals, especially horses and dogs. I guess what I am trying to say is, for someone like me, would or do the politics, taxes and all the hoopla really fall into a catagory for me? Having a good job, and I am aware the pay will not be what I make here and that is cool. I realize that NO PLACE is perfect, but am looking for my little piece of heaven here on earth. Could this be Maine? [End quote]

Hello again jpurvis

There are many issues and questions that need to be thought out before one makes ANY move...but (IMHO) I think that there are certain factors about how one lives their life that can make those issues more or less important.

First off I have to say you and I are similar in many aspects, according to your self-description. Here's how I see it ..
(note to other posters: do not yell, or shake your cyber-finger at me for my opinions, and suggestions. They are just that. Besides, if you disagree...post why)

From reading your info, I'm assuming it would just be you (and perhaps some 4-legged friends). If you have no children, plan on renting, and want to live a more simple, lower-stress life....Maine can definitely work for you.

Yes, some taxes are debatably higher here than elsewhere...and the utility bills can be higher than you are used to...and taxing on the value of your vehicle (one I wasn't familiar with) can be an issue (but really, not THAT big a deal folks)...the list (and debates) goes on...
Honestly, you (as a single, renting gal with no children)...will be affected by taxes on a minimal level. I would think the most noticable one would be income tax, but even that one isn't much more of a burden then I (personally) have dealt with in other states.
Yes, you will probably make less than you do now...but in my own experiences, you will most likely spend less too. I know for me, one of the first things I noticed, is that if all those restaurants, shopping malls and department stores aren't right down the road....you don't tend to waste money in them. AND...(if Maine truly IS a good fit) you won't miss them, either ).

All that being said, PLEASE come and experience Maine in it's raw (and sometimes unbelievable) beauty before you move. And actually, this time of year is the best gauge, in my opinion. If you can live through winter in Maine...the rest of the year is a vacation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 11:57 AM

175 posts, read 418,804 times
Well I sure do thank ya for the input. I do have kids, but they are grown, and one lives here in florida and the other just moved to virginia. I do also have a grandson, that hopefully will come visit me if i get there.
I actually just got back from there, was up in October, and was there last december, so we got to see some of the snow. My sister moved up there last year with her son and his family. They live in Sidney. I never thought about living in Maine, being from the "south" I figured I would always stay here, but Maine touched me. The people were really friendly, down here you are lucky if they look at ya. I am not trying to bash Florida, it USED to be a great place. I have been here all my life and am ready for a change.
The way I look at it, is I will move to Maine to be near my sister, and give it at least a year. If for some reason it don't work, i will go elsewhere. But I don't really see it happening. My other sister may come, and hopefully will get my daughter here eventually. I was wondering if I should at least wait until March or April to come. Do you think the winter is a bad time to move in?

Old 11-30-2007, 01:22 PM

454 posts, read 882,565 times
Well, I personally think moving ANYWHERE in the winter just bites...lol.
I guess it comes down to...do you want to be here within the next 5 months, or are you willing to wait....because I'm not too sure that "good moving weather" will arrive here in Maine anytime before the end of April (or mud season, whichever ends first..lol).

Old 11-30-2007, 01:53 PM

I guess it just really boils down to some issues from this end. Will just have to see how it goes. Will get there one day.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 PM

264 posts, read 393,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
If you can live through winter in Maine...the rest of the year is a vacation
Yep...all 90 days of it.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:01 PM

37,261 posts, read 61,008,694 times
Whatever you are looking for, I do hope that you can find it and find happiness.

I think that we have found it here.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:05 PM

You and me both. I know that happiness has to come within yourself, but I think living a less stressful, simpler life can help me get there. I figured for 40 something years I have tolerated the awful heat from Florida, so maybe my next 40 I will take some snow.
thanks......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine