Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 03:18 AM

371 posts, read 534,860 times

Advertisements

I have been comparing the temperatures all winter between Windsor, VT and Brunswick, ME. Most of the time, Brunswick is a few degrees warmer, but there isn't a lot of variation. My question is how much colder does it feel in Brunswick, or anyplace along the mid-to-south coast region on Maine, compared to inland regions?

In NYC, 20 degrees feels like 0 in Vermont, due to the dampness from being near the ocean. I always marveled as a young adult, when I would travel to upstate NY during the winter, and though it could easily be 20 degrees colder than the NY metro area, it never felt like it.

Does anyone believe it feels much colder on the Maine coast than inland, when the temps are about the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,579,328 times
That high humidity is downright raw. It's called a biting cold.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:58 AM

371 posts, read 534,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
That high humidity is downright raw. It's called a biting cold.
Yes, that's my opinion as well. I think anyplace in the northeast near the water would feel colder in winter. But I would imagine there would be less snow!

Old 03-03-2014, 09:37 AM

22,853 posts, read 28,097,643 times
I live in Brunswick, and the ocean really does moderate things. When it's 30 degrees outside, I feel like I barely need a jacket, much less a coat.

The farther you get from the ocean, the more extreme the temperature variations. Inland New England tends to be hotter in the summer and colder in the winter.

Most years, the humidity is really only brutal for a few weeks in summer (usually late June through July). After that, not so much. And in winter, it really isn't all THAT humid, since the majority of our winter storms tend to come from the west. Seems a bit paradoxical, considering we are right on the ocean, but that's what the Gulf Stream does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: