Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,780 times

Advertisements

My husband and I found a house in palmyra that we really liked. I'm looking to get an idea of what kind of area it is, pros and cons. We are currently living in NH and have 3 kids ages 12,9 and 2 so I'm also wondering how the schools are. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 04:58 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,918 times
Palmyra is right next to Newport and right off the highway. It takes me 25 miles to get to the highway from Dover. That's a big plus. Also, Palmyra was smart enough to take Walmart's tax money as Newport fought the giant and still ended up with it right on it's border. You can't really tell when your in Palmyra or Newport.

It is near Sebasticook Lake for the kids and you're really not too far from Belfast right on route 7. Plus the drive to Skowhegan on route 2 is a pretty ride passing several small ponds along the way.

They have a regional high school called Nokomis and two middle schools, Somerset Valley and Warsaw. I had heard that they were good schools but I'm not too sure of that. I'm sure you could find their ranking somewhere.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:53 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
The school district has had some fierce battles over budgets. From this remote vantage point it sounded like some personality conflicts. The budget was defeated three times by the voters before finally passing last time. All our school budgets are one year budgets.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:01 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
If your kids play mucisical instruments and end up attending Nokomis HS they have always had a superior band.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:53 PM

333 posts, read 873,685 times
Default Rsu 19

RSU 19 is the school district that serves Palmyra,St. Albans,Hartland,Newport,Corinna,Plymouth,Etna and Dixmont. My wife works at Etna-Dixmont. The Palmyra Consolidated was closed several years ago for a number of reasons,low enrollment and a need for many repairs on an old building. It now is used as a community center and houses the Town Office. Depending on where you live in Town affects where you children will go to school. West Palmyra,Hartland and St.Albans would mostly attend St.Albans or Hartland. East Palmyra and the section along Route 100 (Highway between Pittsfield ,Palmyra, to Detroit and then to Newport) because I-95 seperates the Town in half.The Middle Schools Are in Newport Sebasticook and the other is in Hartland Somerset.The Nokomis Regional High is in Newport and very close to the Sebasticook Middle School.We have a new Superintendant, Greg Potter who has made some good decisions and has started the District in the right direction. There are other schools in the area that accept tuition students from this district SAD 54 which is Pittsfield (MCI) Dexter and I believe John Bapst in Bangor. www.rsu19.org is the district's website and you can find a lot of info there, including a place to ask the Supt. and Faculty questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine