U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-05-2007, 08:53 AM

453 posts, read 770,932 times
Smile "The way life should be..."

I have been reading all the posts everyday and learning lots of things. I see so many bad things comments and would sure like to hear some good ones. I was born and raised in Southern Maine and had to leave 20 years ago. I am moving back in 6 months and going to the Northern part to get life as it "used to be in southern maine in the 60's" I hope. Looking for a simpler way of life and back to gardening and hunting for food etc. I hope there are people out there that can tell me more positive things. I KNOW THERE ARE MANY!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-05-2007, 09:46 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,664,272 times
Try Eastport in Washington County - great little city on an island

Unread 12-05-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Try Eastport in Washington County - great little city on an island
I am headed for Caribou/Limestone. We have already purchased land and lined up a rent in Limestone to stay untill me finish building....I know I love Maine....Just thought people could give some more positive feedback on the beauty and wonder of living there

Unread 12-05-2007, 10:10 AM

7,687 posts, read 7,176,175 times
Going to the differant farms to purchase or PYO fresh fruit and veggies. Small local stores and resteraunts where everyone knows your name. The local mechanic that will call around and try to save you money on parts and repairs. The "great kid' in your neighborhood that cuts grass, shovels snow and does odd jobs to help out his/her family. Church socials, school sports and "Big Ole Fish". Small town parades and tree lighting ceremonies. The neighbor that calls when they're heading to the store to see if you need anything. The librarian that knows the books you like and remembers to tell you they just got something in they thought might interest you. Trips "into town" that are like an occasion all their own. Skies so clear you swear you could touch the stars. Just a few things I love.

Unread 12-05-2007, 10:18 AM

msina.... THANK YOU....that just warms the heart of this old Mainer that can't wait to get home.

Unread 12-05-2007, 10:25 AM

175 posts, read 262,123 times
Thank you so much for starting this. This is such a good idea. I too, am planning a move there in the next few months, and I was getting a little discouraged by some of the things I read. And I know that everyone sees things differently and that is ok, and in the end, it all boils down to what I want to do and make of my life.
Reading this makes me so glad that I am coming there. I know it won't be "perfect". But it will be perfect enough for me.
Please keep up the "wonderful" things.....

Unread 12-05-2007, 10:37 AM

33,488 posts, read 9,951,318 times
This exactly what we needed! It warms my heart to think of msina up there in milo living the life the way it should be! I have been away from small town America for quite a while and I had forgotten the ".....do you want me to pick anything up for you.." sort of neighborliness.

When I lived in an over 55 community in a pretty good sized city, there was some of that--people did check in on one another if they were missing from the club house bingo or card game, and folks even shared something from their stove or oven if they were proud of it or made more than they could eat.

I do hope that eventually my place will sell and I will get to live in Maine. Until then I will just try to live some of those values out in the way I treat people here.

Unread 12-05-2007, 10:41 AM

264 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
This exactly what we needed! It warms my heart to think of msina up there in milo living the life the way it should be! I have been away from small town America for quite a while and I had forgotten the ".....do you want me to pick anything up for you.." sort of neighborliness.

When I lived in an over 55 community in a pretty good sized city, there was some of that--people did check in on one another if they were missing from the club house bingo or card game, and folks even shared something from their stove or oven if they were proud of it or made more than they could eat.

I do hope that eventually my place will sell and I will get to live in Maine. Until then I will just try to live some of those values out in the way I treat people here.
Elston, in which retirement community did you live? I'm in Laguna Woods. It's about as good as it gets for an over 55 community.

Unread 12-05-2007, 10:54 AM

7,378 posts, read 7,833,725 times
Abby this is so refreshing!! THANK YOU!!

One of my favorites.....close knit communtities that support each other in good times and bad

Unread 12-05-2007, 11:01 AM

33,488 posts, read 9,951,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
Elston, in which retirement community did you live? I'm in Laguna Woods. It's about as good as it gets for an over 55 community.
I lived in a community called Heritage Park in Escondido. It wasn't anything fancy but it truly was "community" with its pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine