Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:16 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,904 times

Advertisements

Becky's has grits? Yikes!

I LOVE BECKY'S!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
... double serving of oatmeal. I like mine a little less mushy, "al dente" like that texture...
You might want to look for Bob's Red Mill products... they have the only rolled oats that I will eat these days, THICK cut, so they have texture.

they also have a wonderful 10-grain product, both as cereal and flour... and a whole wheat farina... Unfortunately they are not a Maine co (they are in OR I believe) but they have great stuff, including organic products and specialize in "real food".

Old 12-07-2007, 07:57 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Maybe Lynn and Russ can introduce a Maine version of grits, hmmmm fried grits and fiddleheads; or grits with boudin; or clam grits! (There's a thread forming here somewhere how would Mainers adapt cuisine from other regions lol
clam grits!!!!!!!! blech! Even the name sounds gross.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:28 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
some nice cheese grits with some grilled scallops might be right fine.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:23 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Plus what could be better than a pile of french fries covered with cheese and gravy.
YUM!!!! I have yet to see grits on a menu, but plenty of porridge, though.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:48 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
clam grits!!!!!!!! blech! Even the name sounds gross.
I'm with you on that one. Sounds sacreligious to me!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
You might want to look for Bob's Red Mill products... they have the only rolled oats that I will eat these days, THICK cut, so they have texture.

they also have a wonderful 10-grain product, both as cereal and flour... and a whole wheat farina... Unfortunately they are not a Maine co (they are in OR I believe) but they have great stuff, including organic products and specialize in "real food".
I really like Bob's myself. Good quality product, but can be a bit pricey depending on your budget.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Becky's has grits? Yikes!

I LOVE BECKY'S!
I was going to suggest Becky's as a possibility, but since I have yet to eat there I didn't. I just figured if anyone had them Becky's would.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:13 AM

378 posts, read 1,030,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
And better yet is Fred Gwynne (God bless him) as the Alabama judge who inquires of the Brooklyn lawyer "What is a yute?" Seriously though, I'm glad to see that oatmeal (in this and other posts) is appreciated in Maine. It is powerful stuff, not to mention, _good_ too! I like mine (the real stuff - not instant) with butter and maple syrup or butter and raisins. I work on track at a local trolley museum, replacing rotted ties. I do this as a volunteer as the work is so hard you couldn't pay me enough to do it. Dig all that stone, and pull that 8 foot tie out, shove another one in, and pry it up and dig stone again, shove it under and pack it in around. Then spike it down. Our group always consists of old guys like me and new young fellows. The young guys are full of stuff early but the old farts always seem to be still steadily carrying on a few hours later when the others are spent. An informal inquiry reveals that the old guys are all running on a double serving of oatmeal. I like mine a little less mushy, "al dente" like that texture...

Oh yeah !! That was a STITCH. I cried when he died (Fred Gwynne God Bless him)

I was JUST thinking while rereading this thread and finding your comment that I had forgotten to mention syrup !! Of course, I'm not sure we get REAL syrup here in sunny FL.
Oatmeal is the food of power ... I TOO like it only al dente'. I make these cookies with mainly oatmeal, some chocolate and some peanut butter that are SO fun. AND so portable. You drop em on wax paper, no bake ....

I really appreciate this post. I can see you working at something that no one can pay you for. I very much appreciate that quality. I have a deep affinity for 'old' things and a great deal of respect for anyone who knows how to appreciate and keep them.
When my babies were smaller we walked a LOT, my god they love to explore -- lets you be a child again --- and wandered along the railroad tracks sometimes because that was safe (hardly ever any trains on these tracks, maybe once a week??) They always want to 'give' mama something. I can't tell you how many of those shiny treasures made their way to my garden ... still there. They'll come to Maine, too. I'm a rockhound. I'd bring those rocks with me before I'd bring fine china. Mainly because each one was handed up by a tiny hand and a loving face ... when my Mama was alive she would sometimes write on them --- the ones from other places .. you can't write on the railroad ones cause they are dark ... she'd write the date and the nicknames.
Holding these brings me more comfort than any church ever could.
Well, thanks for the memory.
Please don't send CSX here. LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Grandpa could work circles around his sons and every man in the family and every man I ever matched him against.
He's still the man I admire most in all the world.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:56 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,187,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
When my babies were smaller we walked a LOT, my god they love to explore -- lets you be a child again --- and wandered along the railroad tracks sometimes because that was safe (hardly ever any trains on these tracks, maybe once a week??) They always want to 'give' mama something. I can't tell you how many of those shiny treasures made their way to my garden ... still there. They'll come to Maine, too. I'm a rockhound. I'd bring those rocks with me before I'd bring fine china. Mainly because each one was handed up by a tiny hand and a loving face ... when my Mama was alive she would sometimes write on them --- the ones from other places .. you can't write on the railroad ones cause they are dark ... she'd write the date and the nicknames.
Holding these brings me more comfort than any church ever could.
Well, thanks for the memory...
Thank You for your wonderful stories! I grew up in a B&O (Baltimore & Ohio) railroad family and have wonderful stories as well in my head. Alas, my family is all passed now. But I enjoy making and providing Christmas model trains to familes at church who are so delighted to have them. Keepin' the tradition alive... Merry Christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: