Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:01 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
My maiden name is Murphy
Murphy A fine Irish Name! And a fine Irish Stout too!
I kept my maiden name when I got married!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Well family lore has the name being originally something else, then a murder occurred and the name was changed.

All I know is I was born and raised Episcopalian ( liberal variety) so I doubt I am really an Irish Catholic Murphy. But I did have bright red hair and freckles when I was a girl

Old 03-06-2008, 08:29 AM

48,113 posts, read 21,992,097 times
"As Irish as Paddy's Pig" as they used to say!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:42 PM

612 posts, read 1,215,907 times
My Dad is Scots-Irish...Lyons and Butler paternal ancesters. My Dad and his family love their drink, love to laugh, music, sing and dance esp. at family reunions, weddings and an Irish wake. My maternal ancesters....German and ?... I loved my paternal grandmother, aunts, uncles and cousins. The celtic spirit is in my blood as well as having a catholic heart as a child, which I could not embrace until I left home. I was the only child of four that inherited auburn hair and blue eyes. My mom labeled me "the rebellious one"...I am the outcast of my family, except for my Lyons relatives, because I chose to follow my heart...to want to live in peace, love and harmony with one another and the world... and not the maternal feuding ways of the hill people of appalachia.

To Each His Own Way...To Each His Own Right .... "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.

I love people, cooking and entertaining and our friends and sons love to come to our house to eat and fellowship...I have been know to throw one heck of a party. I have a collection of cookbooks...you name the dish and I will cook. Irish, Italian, German, Spanish, Greek, Southern to name a few.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:49 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
I'm anxious to experience Maine's authentic regional cuisine! I am Dutch/Irish/Cherokee (may explain why I'm so stinking hot blooded!) I lean more toward my Irish blood and even have the fair skin, dark hair and green eyes.

I know there is a heavy concentration of Irish in various parts of Maine. I'm hoping to further explore this part of my heritage as I've always wanted to do. Food would be such a wonderful start!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:15 PM

My DH asked for a pot roast for Sunday dinner. Here is my recipe.

Pot Roast, Irish Style

2to 4 tablespoons canola oil
1 4-pound pot roast, approximately
2 cups beef broth
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
salt and pepper to taste
about 1 pound each peeled carrots and potatoes or instead serve with mashed potatoes.

Cut roast in half (optional). Coat a deep skillet with fat and brown meat on all sides over medium-high heat. Place meat in a large ovenproof pan. Add broth, onion, and celery around roast; season with salt and pepper. Cook covered in 375 degrees F oven for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until fork-tender. You can either place vegetables around roast for the last hour of cooking or wait until the roast is done, remove it (keeping it covered and warm), then add carrots and potatoes and cook, covered, until tender, approximately 45 minutes. Remove meat and vegetables from cooking pan and keep warm while you make a flour-thickened gravy from the juices.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:47 PM

48,113 posts, read 21,992,097 times
I am cooking the corned beef in guinesses as we speak; it smells wonderful.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
You guys are making me hungry!
Let me know when you find a tofu recipe for corned beef/pot roast!!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:10 PM

Yummy...love corned beef and cabbage. I want to try Irish Bacon and Cabbage, boiled potatoes with parsley sauce this year for St. Paddy's Day. The boiling bacon (shoulder or collar) can be ordered from FoodIreland.com - Irish Food and Gift Store In Ireland, only the leg of the pig is called "ham"(or gammon); otherwide, the cured meat is bacon. Not the american breakfast bacon. It is actually cut from the loin and cured in spices, cooked as a joint or roast.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:59 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
ok, I'm yanking this one out of the moth balls

I had to pull up the brown bread recipe thread earlier, because I must have misplaced mine when I pulled it out to post it! Anyway, it's in the oven now, but it got me thinking....

I've never made apple cider donuts but I love them I have a bunch of cookbooks, a couple of generations worth, and I'm sure I could find more than a few to choose from.... but, do any of you have an apple cider donuts recipe that you like and would like to share?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine