Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:11 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times

Advertisements

This is one of the many MANY reasons Maine is home......we all actually CARE that Forest's animal died. Now where else do you find friends like that? Sorry Forest!

These are more reasons........
Attached Thumbnails
What happened to you today that let you know Maine is "Home"-winter.jpg   What happened to you today that let you know Maine is "Home"-rocks.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:13 PM

48,123 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I am truly sorry Forest!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:33 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Forrest--I'm sorry. Wonder what happened to the little guy--just got trapped and too cold?
Both rear legs were slid between boards of the goat shed [it is made from a lot of wooden pallets], I do not know if he had gotten stuck there and could not get up again, or had just nestled in there as being comfortable. From what I have seen, any of the larger goats might have just stood on him, they are really rough on each other. I suspect that he got into a position and the other goats were too rough on him and he could not get away, adding the cold of last night, he just did not have the stamina to deal with both.

On one hand we do want these goats to be strong and healthy, so in that theory any weak runts or slightly disabled ones should be culled.

But the kids are so cute and are lots of fun in warm weather.

We have also lost a few goats from CAE [a goat version of aids]. Everyone keeps warning us to stay away from the livestock auctions. As so many of those animals will have problems.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:38 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Thanks everyone for your concern.

I should not let it get me down. I would think that having dealt with as much death as I have, and in view of my career field; that it should not effect me anymore.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:38 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Forest, I feel for you! I know what it is like to walk into a barn and find an animal you really like, dead. Just plain SUCKS out loud.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 PM

107 posts, read 226,424 times
I'll post here because it seems right. The thread title of "What happened to you today that let you know Maine is "Home" couldn't feel more appropriate for what I am about to say, and I ask you to bear with me, please. This is the most difficult day of the year for me. Today is the "sad"versisary of my husband's death 4 years ago tonight. Every post I've read today has resonated in some particular way. Elston's widowed aunt's diary. The soliders life lost in Iraq. Forest's goat. I am, as always somewhat seemingly surrounded by death and death reminders at this time of year. I don't yet live in Maine, but I will one day. I'll spare you all the anguished feelings I am having tonight (it's the one night I make NO excuses for being sad) and will save those for the board that I participate in for widows. But, I wanted to say.....you, you ALL feel like a new fangled version of imaginary friends and I'm in awe of the fact that I may one day actually meet some of you who are in Maine now or who want to be and that, that above and beyond the snow and the many MAINENESS things that have lit this burning desire within me to be there, that my friends is what happened to me today that let me know Maine is "Home"

Old 12-07-2007, 07:46 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
Forest, I just got back and saw this. I'm sorry that you lost one of your goats. That's very sad.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:46 PM

222 posts, read 529,820 times
Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlcu View Post
I'll post here because it seems right. The thread title of "What happened to you today that let you know Maine is "Home" couldn't feel more appropriate for what I am about to say, and I ask you to bear with me, please. This is the most difficult day of the year for me. Today is the "sad"versisary of my husband's death 4 years ago tonight. Every post I've read today has resonated in some particular way. Elston's widowed aunt's diary. The soliders life lost in Iraq. Forest's goat. I am, as always somewhat seemingly surrounded by death and death reminders at this time of year. I don't yet live in Maine, but I will one day. I'll spare you all the anguished feelings I am having tonight (it's the one night I make NO excuses for being sad) and will save those for the board that I participate in for widows. But, I wanted to say.....you, you ALL feel like a new fangled version of imaginary friends and I'm in awe of the fact that I may one day actually meet some of you who are in Maine now or who want to be and that, that above and beyond the snow and the many MAINENESS things that have lit this burning desire within me to be there, that my friends is what happened to me today that let me know Maine is "Home"
I wish you strength tonight for your pain, and know that if you believe, there is a pureness and healing possible in Maine. I have never looked back on my days in Texas, Maine is my home. Best to you!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:49 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Stacie, I'm so sorry that on this day you have such a sad remembrance. And no, you need make no apologies.

You can rest assured, however, that if you are in Maine for the next passing of this day, you will be enveloped by the peace that comes in being held close by special friends. We'll hold a very special YaYa session in your honor! Firelight, wine, chocolate, tears....the whole 9 yards! We're here for you, girl.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:56 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Forest, I just got back and saw this. I'm sorry that you lost one of your goats. That's very sad.
ditto that... and yes, we do need our critters to be strong, but as my friend Kevin just said, "a loss is a loss" and I'll add a life is a life, and no matter what we've done or seen in our live, the sadness marks us as human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine