Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 AM

7,074 posts, read 8,933,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Woxy, I know Drama and I talked about this but I can't remember--was Kenny the plumber who lived in South End and was George married to Alice? Is that the right Malloch? It seems that when she told me I couldn't think of who she meant, but now this comes to mind....
My grandparents, greatuncle George, and greatuncle Kenny lived at 179/177/175 Water St. overlooking the ferry landing and chowder house. George was married to Honor, but also had a son named George, and Kenny was a fisherman and picked periwinkles, his wife Lorraine used to work at Holmes sardine cannery, he used to have the old shack down at the ferry landing which was torn down a few years back. George used to take fishing parties out on the Quoddy Dam back when it was docked at Harris Point and used to let me run the boat when I was a kid and I just loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 11:10 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,095,422 times
thanks woxy....it isn't who I was thinking of....I do know the houses though....what a view!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:42 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Molly, can you share how you ended up in Calais?

Old 12-12-2007, 06:28 AM

I'm trying to think of the best way to do this without being long winded! lol...

I was born in Bangor, and moved to Eastport when I was 2. My Mom grew up in Eastport, and my Dad grew up in Princeton, about 45 minutes away from Eastport. They met in Bangor--my Mom was his waitress and it took him forever to ask her out. I lived in Eastport, across the street from where my Mom grew up until it was time to go to college. I went to Orono, and after school stayed in the Bangor area to work. I moved back to Eastport in 99 after inheriting my grandmother's house. BUT moved to Calais in 2002 for the larger and more "complete" school dept. Calais is 21 miles from Eastport
I sold my house in Eastport, but bought a different one a couple of years ago. The one I bought is filled with childhood memories for me, and is in the neighborhood I grew up in!

Old 12-15-2007, 08:47 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I'm counting the minutes until I can return to Eastport, things are relatively unchanged since I was a kid. Anytime I come back the old memories just come back to me. I never felt any kind of attachment to where I am now and dread the thought of living the rest of my life here.
Wow my DH can be so profound.. I wanna go home to Eastport.. someone send loads of money.. quick!

Old 12-15-2007, 01:44 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,525 times
SHHHHHHHH !! And tell newsweek to be quiet, too... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Originally I moved to Caribou. It was because that is the town that I was offered a job in and not really knowing anything about the area, I didn't want to get too far out. After a few years, I couldn't stand the town because of the town politics and attitude of the business owners in town. After I was married and we started having the Ruffians, I wanted them in a different school system, one that was a bit smaller and more personal. I chose Washburn, because it was a very down to Earth town and very much like the little town I grew up in. Plus the first time I was even in town I stopped by the main store in town at that time and picked up something for lunch. After the clerk rang it up, I discovered I walked out of the house without my wallet or any cash that morning. Without batting an eye, the clerk just said "next time in town drop off the money, it happens." I offered my name and number, but she looked at me like I must be crazy and told me, "why would I want that? You'll be back." Never forgot it and when it was time for a new town, Washburn was the place. I must have been a bit right about the smaller schools also, because we just made the "U.S. News and World Report - best schools report" Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report

Still a Mayberry type place, and one where you know everybody by first name and some you don't know their last name because it doesn't matter, nobody uses it anyway.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:02 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,525 times
Thank you all for all of this information. It is WONDERFUL of you to be so open and provide same to me and others. I haven't chosen a town yet. I've had some people advise me kindly and otherwise. I'll know when I see it despite anyone else's misgivings where the town for me is.

AND, then I'm gonna go to the best farmer's market and wait for forest and you others .....

Old 12-15-2007, 02:24 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
Thank you all for all of this information. It is WONDERFUL of you to be so open and provide same to me and others. I haven't chosen a town yet. I've had some people advise me kindly and otherwise. I'll know when I see it despite anyone else's misgivings where the town for me is.

AND, then I'm gonna go to the best farmer's market and wait for forest and you others .....
Maine has an extensive system of Farmer's Markets. Most of the vendors at the Orono FM also attend other markets [they have been doing this for longer and thus have more produce to sell].

I only attend the Orono FM.

Bangor just started one this past fall.

If you were to go to the Orono FM, on the days that I attend the market I am there on time. So there is no need to 'wait' for me, either I will be there before the market starts, or else I have a flat tire on my car or I am performing a funeral.

I would love to see you at the Orono FM someday.

For some unknown reason folks seem to be able to spot me easily. I am not entirely sure why. I just sell my eggs, fiddleheads, sprouts, and veggies.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:20 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,534,340 times
I think you posted a picture here. If I remember right, it's the beard that's the giveaway.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:38 PM

the eyes too I think very kind and sincere....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine