Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 01:10 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a funeral.

Our little town lost Sgt. Blair Emery on November 30 in Baqubah, Iraq to an IED. The funeral was today. Last June we lost Sgt. Joel House the same way. These two fine young men went to nursery school together. Thay played little league together, Legion ball, high school baseball and Blair pitched in the game where they won the state championship. Both served a tour in Iraq and came home. Both went back to Iraq. Blair was supposed to come home in October after his year, but his unit was extended for three months.

They asked the veterans and active duty military to stand as Blair's family received his medals. As the service ended they played Garry Owen. People looked around. Many had never heard that melody, but there wasn't a dry eye among those who had.

Slow hand salute.

Two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 01:19 PM

175 posts, read 420,171 times
My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. We should remember just what the men and women go through and sacrifice, along with their families,so we can be safe and comfy in our homes. GOD bless them all!!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 01:22 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,421,636 times
It's always nice to recognize our veterans and their families at this time of year. Keep them in your hearts and prayers.
Send a special "thank you" to the surviving family members for us NMLM.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:40 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,417,688 times
Thank you for allowing us to honor his memory with you. Prayers for his family.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:44 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,525 times
I'm sorry Northern Maine Land Man. I do not like losing anyone especially a younger person to this tragic war.

World War II took less than five years. Already we have been there over six.

Please extend our sorrow to the families.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:44 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
World War II took less than five years. Already we have been there over six.
That's a startling comparison--I hadn't realized.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:59 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Different kinds of war are difficult to really compare to each other.

My prayers will be lifted for this young soldier's family.

ET1(SS) Young
USN retired

Old 12-08-2007, 06:53 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
The united states has liberated half the world from tyranny, opression and dictators.
Iraq is but another country. we dont conquer, we give billions to other countries for basic needs of thier peoples, when a disaster strikes, americans are first in line to help.
our freedoms and the liberating of other countries, have come at a high price, ,,we've spilled much blood to free and protect other nations.
freedom is a word, we throw around, take for granted, for most of us, we've always had it, we dont know any different,,,and because of that, sometimes we appear that we are bullying other countries, but if most of us have talked to folks from communist countries, or worse, they will tell you america is the greatest country in the world (ive heard this personally)
yes, we have our problems, and we've made terrible mistakes, and out history is littered in wars, casualties, and strife, yet there is an american spirit, that does thrive, similar to the spirit.. that our parents wanted a better life than what they had, and we also want that of our own children,,that the future will somehow be brighter, and better, and we want to be part of the solution, not contribute to the problem.
if most of us imagine back, just 100 yrs ago, and how our grandparents lived thier life day to day,,,its a whole different world today, we have the luxuries and leisures,(they couldnt imagine) yet, we take for granted, and still complain.
our great or great great grandparents, sacrificed so much of themselves, for a better life for thier kids,,many uneducated, but they worked and worked, with very very little .
faith may have kept them going, a strong will to survive, but overall, again it was a purpose, the american spirit and dream, that perhaps, my own kids will have a better life than myself.
i saw on pbs a few months ago a fella stating how 3/4 of the world is poor, by our standards, most of us, who havent travelled to poor countries dont have a clue what that means, the poor in america ,,would be seen as rich, by half the world.
what makes america so great?? (and that something that irks me, you watch the evening news and its constantly ripping this country apart, yet never ever hear what we do good)
what makes america great, is not the president, is not the congress, its the day to day folks, that most of us know, who try to play by the rules and contribute to society what we can, its all of us that get up and go to work everyday, or in the spirit of giving, we make a difference in someone else's life (without recognition)
again, its the freedoms, freedoms to pursue the american dream and live our own lifestyle, freedom,,to work very hard, and be rewarded for it, and a purpose, that our kids or next generation, with still live and thrive in a great country.

i guess, from these views, this makes me a conservative,,not because i choose not to see the ilk in society, its because i see the greatness in the american people.
this forum is an excellent representation of what i mean, we have different viewpoints,
but most are still courteous to one another and can respect an opposing viewpoint,,there will always be the occassional nose-picker,,that hits and runs, thats life
but the american spirit is alive and well on these boards, we celebrate important events with folks we've never seen, and also share sorrow, not for self-recognition or gain,,its because we "care" about others, and that, is a cornerstone and benefit of freedom.

for those that constantly dump on this country,, visit a cemetery and a grave with an american flag,,try to appreciate that someone fought and gave his life,,so you can express your dissenting views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine