Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 12:03 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCube View Post
Hello everyone,

My family and I are wanting to move to Maine because it has a really good education system, and we love the beautiful scenery. However, there is one thing I am just a little bit skeptical about. I went on U.S. Census and found out that Maine is 95.6% white, and I am assuming this place is very racist due to this. I have taken sociology classes, and they have pointed out that areas where one specific race populates can tend to have discriminatory factors.

I am not black, I am a Sicilian (Italian) with dark colored skin. I currently live in Wisconsin, and I have run into a ton of racial situations up here. I have had people "assume" my ethnicity to be Arabic; say rude things such as me "blowing up buildings"; and have been racial profiled here a lot by people AND the police. When I tell people that I am Sicilian and not Arabic, they just look at me with confused faces. Wisconsin is 86% white on U.S. Census when I last checked, and I haven't made ANY friends the entire 6 years I've lived here. So yeah, does Maine's population of people act like this? I just want to know what I am getting myself into before I spend a lot of time and money moving there. I seriously don't want to be stuck in another state where every time I walk some place, someone is looking at me like I am an alien from another planet. Someone told me that Maine has a large Italian community, and that I shouldn't have this problem due to this.

Really looking forward to hearing some responses. Thank you.
YOU are assuming maine is very racist?

and then you go on to say how folks stereotype you as a middle-eastener? not sicilian?

if your post is honest, then knowing how wrong it is for others to ASSUME about you, then why would You do the same??? (ASSUME about a whole state's population? )

if you are seriously looking to move to maine - move to portland,

we welcome sicilians up here, tony soprano brought his daughter up here to look at colleges

Old 04-17-2014, 04:18 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Calm down everyone. I understand the poster's position. The premise is that because there are fewer people of color that diversity is restricted or unwanted----in other words, it's implied that there is a reason for a place being 96% white. You don't think I had my concerns, too, at one time?
Calm down? Who's riled up? When someone makes a racist remark like his they should expect to be called out on it.

There's a difference between being concerned about acceptance and assuming an entire state is filled with racists. I can't imagine you thought we're all racist.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:34 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Maine Writer, please quote my posts fully. I never referred to Maine or anyone as racist. I have a long history with Maine going back to my childhood from early family connections. I am simply stating that is in not unusual as a person of color to have reservations about going from an obviously diversified area to a more homogeneous area where people like yourself are fewer. Take my word for it. This is a cynicism that is ingrained in us from lifelong bad experiences. I'm happy to say that love and an adventurous spirit won out and and no manner of fears were realized.
You don't have to understand this feeling to accept that it exists. That is why this question keeps cropping up in this and other forum threads. It is not an indictment of Maine, specifically, it is just an observation based on unfortunate events that have existed long before either of us. Events that are sadly not uncommon in American history.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 AM

2,725 posts, read 6,424,366 times
Now that the OP has riled up the regulars, we'll sit back and see if it's a drive by or not.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:54 AM

Not riled.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:03 AM

315 posts, read 871,361 times
Quote:
I am not black, I am a Sicilian (Italian) with dark colored skin.
- hey me too
Come to Jersey,,thats where all us Sicilians hang out - -hah

Old 04-17-2014, 06:39 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Maine Writer, please quote my posts fully.
For goodness sake, I did.

Quote:
I never referred to Maine or anyone as racist.
I didn't say you did. I clearly said "I can't imagine you thought we're all racist." We can't have a conversation this way so I'll bow out.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:58 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Quote:
Is Maine a racist state? My family and I are wanting to move there.
No.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 AM

One of the things I've always liked about Maine is that there are fewer people with deeply ingrained preconceived notions about those that are different. They are just regarded "different" and then the learning begins. The discussion gets more difficult when, as the poster points out, it is tainted with with bad experiences.
Maine Writer , I'm sorry you were so sensitive to my statements. I was merely pointing out that there are degrees of intolerance, from minor discomfort with things unfamiliar to outright racism. Seeing a statistical population demographic that is more extremely skewed from the national average does make one think, that is if one is a member of a "minority" or looks like a stereotype of an unpopular group. That's not an uncommon thought.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,433 times
To the OP. I'm an black male in an interracial marriage in Northern Maine. Limestone in Aroostook County to be exact. I was a bit skeptical moving here from Hawaii once I finished up my military service. My wife insisted we move to either Maine or Alaska, lol. I agreed which ever place I received a job offer, we shall go. When we arrived, I was overcome by the sheer generosity of the people here. We love it so much that we've decided to buy a home in either Presque Isle or Houlton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine