Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,318 times

Advertisements

is it reaaaally that hard to find a job in ME?

We're considering towns around Augusta and Waterville (they're kinda close right?), what about state gov jobs (correction officers perhaps, there's a prison in Warren I think) anyone have any idea what they pay? I looked on the .gov site but no listings with pay. In MA they usually list the pay scale...so maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Anyway, I have been a general manager of a retail store for over 20 years and my wife has run an automotive dept., been in the military, and managed a garden shop...you think we'll have trouble finding work? This is the one thing that scares me about ME. The whole point of leaving MA is to get debt free and have a small AFFORDABLE mortgage. If your mortgage is 800.00 and your hourly wage is 10.50 it's gonna be a little tough. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 07:00 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,041 times
My hubby is in grocery management and we tried for several years to get him a job in Maine. The main chains there are Shaw's and Hannaford. I mailed his resume to Hannaford's corporate office with no response. Finally I decided to mail his resume to every store in the state. We got tons of calls and a few phone interviews that way. When hubby got the call to go to Maine for an interview he had already accepted a job in NC (It's a long story!). Anyway, my advice is to send your resume directly to whatever business/company you're interested in, in addition to their corporate office. And be patient! Had we waited a few weeks longer we'd be living in mid-coast Maine now instead of NC. (Nothing against NC. We like it here, but we are still moving to Maine in the future.) Good luck!

Old 10-25-2006, 08:59 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,318 times
This is good to know. Thank you so much. I'm trying to research and be patient (it's hard once you get the moving bug).

Funny that you ended up in NC...I have so many friends who are down there from the Cape and love it there. I can't imagine giving up NE though. I love it here. Best of luck to you and hopefully you'll be up here soon!

Old 10-25-2006, 03:10 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,041 times
There are tons of transplants here. A family down the street from us just moved here from Cape Cod. Unfortunately NC just doesn't feel like home to me. I just love New England, especially Maine. I truly feel at home there. When we decided to leave WI it was solely to move to Maine. I know we'll still live there someday soon, just not as quickly as we had hoped.
Best of luck to you too! I hope everything works out for you!

(I should also add that while hubby got quite a few calls once I sent his resume to individual stores, a lot of them mentioned that they prefer to hire in-state applicants. Not everyone said that, but quite a few. I think that has more to do with them not wanting to pay for relocation...I'm sure every company is different though....)

Last edited by lovemaine; 10-25-2006 at 03:24 PM..

Old 10-25-2006, 04:43 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Default employment

hi there, i believe there are a number of jobs available in the augusta area, there are quite a few job sites online, also check the local papers, just in case they arent listed on the jobsites augusta local newspaper is called kennebec journal.
look under retail management, i saw quite a few a couple weeks ago
hope this helps-good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine