U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:30 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,507,271 times

Advertisements

The strangest thing happened today.

My DW and I stopped in a fast food restaurant for a snack. We had an enjoyable meal. When I got up, a gentleman sitting behind me had a ball cap on that caught my eye. It said: "Northern Maine Land Man" and I got to thinking, I wonder if that is a company hat, or if it is a common hat?

And then before I could do anything else he said to me: "Are you a beekeeper"?

Now what do I smell like honey?

Do I have a few bees nestled in my beard?

As it turned out, 'Northern Maine Land Man' and I had a nice visit and I can say that my life has been enriched today.

He had once worked in a career field where he supported of a class of submarine that I later served onboard. He worked with them as the Navy was working out the kinks in developing the systems for how submarines navigate underwater and are able to launch satellites into orbit. Which is exactly the systems that I worked on when I was onboard subs.

Now how many men in Maine do you suppose have a background of such similar bend? And what would be the odds of two fine men such as that accidentally bumping into each other at a fast food restaurant.

Plus we recognized each other as members of the same men's fraternity.

Yes sirree Bob, I had a fine day today.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 02:32 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,933,280 times
First off, I can't believe you have a cap that actually says NMLM! That's too funny!! But what an awesome chanced meeting. How cool!

Old 12-10-2007, 02:33 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,815,601 times
Wonderful story,.. made my day

Old 12-10-2007, 03:17 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,916,831 times
that is just SO COOL!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 03:24 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,296,487 times
Certain facts about people accumulate through different posts and you develop an image of somebody. I saw a couple and they were probably 10 miles from Forest's home and the gent had a beard clear down to here. He had overalls on and was accompanied by a fine looking lady. He was seated facing away from me. As he got up to leave I said, "I don't suppose you are a beekeeper." He looked surprised and said he was. Then he read my hat. "The Northern Maine Land Man".

The business client with me was flat out astonished at this exchange and he was wondering how in the world I could know this man's occupation. Forest wondered too. He asked how I knew. I said, "There can't be anybody else within 50 miles who answers your description." We had a fine visit that was too short and parted ways.

I didn't get to see if he was driving the Willys or the saab. (Small 's' in Saab.)

Like two ships passing in the night.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:24 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
First off, I can't believe you have a cap that actually says NMLM! That's too funny!! But what an awesome chanced meeting. How cool!
Well you see it is not my hat.

It is Northern Maine Land Man's hat.

And his hat does not say NMLM, it says: "Northern Maine Land Man"

And I am givng you grief, if you had not noticed

It was an awesome meeting.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:49 PM

306 posts, read 922,446 times
I have probally met some of the Brunswick users at Shaw's.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:09 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,296,487 times
"Probably" doesn't count. That's like saying you almost remembered an appointment.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,349,377 times
Neat story Forrest!!!!
I haven't had a chance to meet either of you fine gentlemen but hope one day to have that chance.
About 7 years ago I was fortunate enough to have a father/son stop by my establishment and could tell that they were "from away." A couple of days later,they stopped by and had a bite to eat. During the conversation,they mentioned that the father was using his retirement money to invest in land up north. The son was also investing and I replied that was a good idea. Oh yea, they said, in Pennsylvania land cost is exorbitant and in the North Woods of Maine,we can buy hundreds of acres for next to nothing compared to down home.
Over the course of two summers,I believe,these kind folks would show up at my store frequently and on one of these occasions they gave me a business card. I placed it among the dozens of cards I had accumulated.
Wouldn't you know that awhile back I noticed a newcomer to CD and had a familiar name. I couldn't place it but one day on a whim I opened the box with all of the business cards I had and lo and behold there was NMLM's card! I instantly DM'd him and he not only confirmed my suspicions, but remembered the two gentlemen from Pennsylvania.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:19 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,148,590 times
I hadn't thought of it before, but now that it has been mentioned.... DO you smell like honey, Forrest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine