U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:03 AM

406 posts, read 1,137,774 times
Default K-1 Fuel???

I feel like the biggest pain but I have another question for you all.

I've noticed quite a few houses heated with K-1 fuel. I know this is more expensive, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this type of fuel. Does it heat as well? Any plumbers or homeowners/renters currently using this fuel on the forum? I've fallen in love with a house with no basement and k-1 fuel. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 11:44 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,545,760 times
You can burn either a mixture of K1 and #2 it is cheaper. K1 is also called Kerosene. It burns cleaner than #2 and does not gel like #2 in the cold weather.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:14 PM

418 posts, read 1,308,443 times
We also used to use K-1 and had no basement. The system worked well with no problems. It was set up to a monitor heating system.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:24 PM

My father mentioned he used to mix in kerosene to "unclog" his oil furnace (or something like that)...this was a long time ago.

So, then it's not all that unusual to have a kerosene fuel...hmmm. Ok. I noticed online it seemed to be about .40 cents more per gallon. That's a pretty big difference. The house I'm looking at is pretty small though.

Thanks for the responses...I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions soon enough.

If anyone else has any experiences with K-1 home heating please let me know.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:43 PM

71 posts, read 266,708 times
Hi CapeCodder,

I can't help you with using K-1 in Maine but can tell you my in-laws in southern NJ have been using it in their mobile home for 20 years. It is more expensive by the gallon but it burns real clean and they usually can get through a whole winter on one tank. They have never had a problem with their heating system.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
We also used to use K-1 and had no basement. The system worked well with no problems. It was set up to a monitor heating system.
Is a monitor heating system on a timer? I'm not sure what that means.
I really was expecting you all to say it was a huge expense to heat your home with the K-1 (like a house with electric heat). This is a pleasant surprise!

Old 10-28-2006, 12:37 AM

418 posts, read 1,308,443 times
Monitor is a brand name of a heating system. You can look it up online. It takes up less wall space than typical baseboard heating. It has some advantages such as nice heating in one area, easily controllable, but it has disadvantages too. This system is more expensive because I think it exclussively runs on K-1, but it's definitly cheaper than electric.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:58 AM

526 posts, read 1,504,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
Monitor is a brand name of a heating system. You can look it up online. It takes up less wall space than typical baseboard heating. It has some advantages such as nice heating in one area, easily controllable, but it has disadvantages too. This system is more expensive because I think it exclussively runs on K-1, but it's definitly cheaper than electric.
I agree....they are excellent at heating one area, such as a large room....but you can't depend on one to heat your entire house. It is cheaper than electric, but K1 is more than home heating oil. You can set them just like a wall thermostat to come on and off at various times, pre-set various temperatures, etc.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:57 PM

Oh ok...doh :::slapping my forehead:::...I understand now. I'll look into that heating system. I really appreciate all the input. Gives me a lot to think about while I poke around up there next week. I can't wait!!

I have to meet with my brother in law aka "The Dream Killer" to *talk about Maine* since he's an avid hunter and has been coming up to the state for over 20 years (apparently he has info that might make us change our minds?? I think he just doesn't want us to move.).

Thanks again everybody...I'll be back with more questions soon enough.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:32 PM

5 posts, read 27,816 times
Hi CapeCodder
I think the original question has been bypassed regarding K-1 (kerosene) vs. #2 (standard heating oil). The biggest reason people burn K-1 over #2 is the fact that #2 won't stand up in the cold weather. If you've got an outside oil tank, you need to burn K-1 or some type of mixture. #2 would gel up and you'll freeze your house. OR, you have to put your oil tank in a garage and insulate it. Although, posters are right, it burns much cleaner and it is much easier on your heating system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine