Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:08 PM

6 posts, read 5,476 times

Advertisements

Hi to all,

I am new here in the forum and registered to start this thread. So glad to have found this forum.

I live in Turkey and will be attending to Community College in Maine. I will be applying 4-5 schools and according to their evaluation i'll make my decision by this summer. If everything goes well, i'll be there in fall

After doing some research, i found out ppl are having a hard time finding a place for temporary accomodation, since most of the citizens are owners.

As a future CC student (though i am 36 ) i'll appreciate any comment regarding the prices, any given advices (advices on general and on which school i should be choosing) and everything.

I might even think transfering myself to a 4 year University and/or get a job, or even start a business.

Do you guys/gals think i should be accomodating myself on campus for the first 1-2 months?

What are the monthly rates for modest places (1+1 etc.)

Never been there so any advice is golden for me, as long as they are sincere.

Warmest Regards to the ppl of cold lands

Emre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 04:16 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Bozkurt View Post
Hi to all,

I am new here in the forum and registered to start this thread. So glad to have found this forum.

I live in Turkey and will be attending to Community College in Maine. I will be applying 4-5 schools and according to their evaluation i'll make my decision by this summer. If everything goes well, i'll be there in fall

After doing some research, i found out ppl are having a hard time finding a place for temporary accomodation, since most of the citizens are owners.

As a future CC student (though i am 36 ) i'll appreciate any comment regarding the prices, any given advices (advices on general and on which school i should be choosing) and everything.

I might even think transfering myself to a 4 year University and/or get a job, or even start a business.

Do you guys/gals think i should be accomodating myself on campus for the first 1-2 months?

What are the monthly rates for modest places (1+1 etc.)

Never been there so any advice is golden for me, as long as they are sincere.

Warmest Regards to the ppl of cold lands

Emre

The school that you decide to attend will be able to help provide you with rental or other accommodation ideas.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
The school that you decide to attend will be able to help provide you with rental or other accommodation ideas.
Any advices on which school/area i should prioritize?

Old 05-15-2014, 04:38 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
here is a link to look at

a list of all the community colleges in maine and info on them

Maine Community College System

Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
What skills do you want to have when you graduate? You have the right idea. Community colleges have a better rate of employment after graduation than four year colleges because community colleges teach real skills that apply to real jobs.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:03 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
The others have it right. Go to the school that best suits your interests. All of Maines community colleges will give you a good education. Some happen to be nearer to more populous areas.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
here is a link to look at

a list of all the community colleges in maine and info on them

Maine Community College System
Thank you very much, i checked this site, it forwards me to the Schools' websites.

However, Northern Maine CC's website is not working. I googled and found their telephone and called them. Talked to a guy who was really nice and talkative, he said he'd check the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
What skills do you want to have when you graduate? You have the right idea. Community colleges have a better rate of employment after graduation than four year colleges because community colleges teach real skills that apply to real jobs.
Well, actually rather than getting new any skills, i kinda prefer going on what i am familiar with. Business admn. is good to go for me.

I am also a professional musician (electric guitar ) and worked as an instructer on US Military Base in my Hometown.

We had a family business (Worked as a contractor company for US Military in Iraq) and i am kind of good at what i am.

Actually i plan on getting a good education, even if it is for 2 years and either come back here or stay there and start a new job.

I could post some videos of myself playing guitar but i guess that would be outta subject

Last edited by Emre Bozkurt; 05-15-2014 at 05:41 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 03:02 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
Quote:
Any advices on which school/area i should prioritize?
I would stay in southern Maine, Central Maine college in Lewiston and or South Maine community college in south Portland..

rents are very different depending on where you live in the state.... the more rural the less rents generally but also the less choices.. Lewiston Auburn has is a good size metropolitan area that offers affordable rents. South Portland are certainly probably more desirable and would offer better job opts but the rents will be more..

1br 1ba in Lewiston auburn would be about $600+- including heath and hot water... you will have to pay for own electricity.. heat and hot water is provided by a gas/ or oil burner paid for the owner.. don't rent anything that has electric water or heat where you pay for it unless you receive a considerable discount on rent.. electricity can be expensive..

for the south Portland area you would probably 850 and that "might" include heat and hot water..

Lewiston auburn and Portland are closer to Boston (3 and or 2.5 hr respectfully)

When you are getting closer to moving and or need any more information send me a private message I would be happy to help you anyway I can..

Old 05-16-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I would stay in southern Maine, Central Maine college in Lewiston and or South Maine community college in south Portland..

rents are very different depending on where you live in the state.... the more rural the less rents generally but also the less choices.. Lewiston Auburn has is a good size metropolitan area that offers affordable rents. South Portland are certainly probably more desirable and would offer better job opts but the rents will be more..

1br 1ba in Lewiston auburn would be about $600+- including heath and hot water... you will have to pay for own electricity.. heat and hot water is provided by a gas/ or oil burner paid for the owner.. don't rent anything that has electric water or heat where you pay for it unless you receive a considerable discount on rent.. electricity can be expensive..

for the south Portland area you would probably 850 and that "might" include heat and hot water..

Lewiston auburn and Portland are closer to Boston (3 and or 2.5 hr respectfully)

When you are getting closer to moving and or need any more information send me a private message I would be happy to help you anyway I can..
What an efficient and helpfull reply.

Well i am amazed, thank you so much. Today i have been looking fopr places (mostly apprtmnts) on craiglist etc.

I found some cool places, but are they trustworthy? I mean there are some ads in the list saying "do not rent from .... company, it is scam" kinda things scared me.

Since i am an international student, i have 2 options,

1-Either joining the campus housing for the first semester and find some place else after that.

2-Rent a place (shooting in the dark) and state that place as my adress in USA and get my visa.

2nd option is vulnerable to rip offs i guess.

I'll either attend to CMCC or SMCC. Those do their jobs more efficiently and more kindly.

Especially this guy in Central Maine CC would be my reason of choice. I wonder how Auburn, Lewiston is compared to others.

Hopefully either of them has the same standard in terms of quality of Education.

Emre

Last edited by Emre Bozkurt; 05-16-2014 at 04:33 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 09:04 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
Quote:
What an efficient and helpfull reply.

Well i am amazed, thank you so much. Today i have been looking fopr places (mostly apprtmnts) on craiglist etc.

I found some cool places, but are they trustworthy? I mean there are some ads in the list saying "do not rent from .... company, it is scam" kinda things scared me.

Since i am an international student, i have 2 options,

1-Either joining the campus housing for the first semester and find some place else after that.

2-Rent a place (shooting in the dark) and state that place as my adress in USA and get my visa.

2nd option is vulnerable to rip offs i guess.

I'll either attend to CMCC or SMCC. Those do their jobs more efficiently and more kindly.

Especially this guy in Central Maine CC would be my reason of choice. I wonder how Auburn, Lewiston is compared to others.

Hopefully either of them has the same standard in terms of quality of Education.

Emre
Thank you! renting sight unseen is never a good idea, I am a landlord myself and I want a tenant who want to live there for a while and you might come and realize you don't like the apt or the area. Also for your own sake you don't want to be stuck in a lease in a place your not happy. like I said when the time comes for you to actually rent a place and if you have to do it prior I would be happy to help YOU! (I only own a few properties and they are rented I am not looking to make money off of you... ) I know the areas very well and can help point you in the right direction....

There are available rents so don't worry about not finding one this is not New York city... but I would absolutely recommend staying on campus for a semester..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine